Mega Ships

We are looking into a RCI cruise for next year. We have been on 4 cruises but all with Carnival and all on their older, smaller ships. I'm just curious about the big ships on Royal Caribbean. Are they very crowded? Is there a lot of standing in line to ride the flow rider or climb the rock walls? They look like so much fun but I don't want to be in line for my whole cruise. Any answers or feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking into a RCI cruise for next year. We have been on 4 cruises but all with Carnival and all on their older, smaller ships. I'm just curious about the big ships on Royal Caribbean. Are they very crowded? Is there a lot of standing in line to ride the flow rider or climb the rock walls? They look like so much fun but I don't want to be in line for my whole cruise. Any answers or feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The earlier in your cruise you do these things, the fewer people who are doing them. It is on the last two sea days that people seem to suddenly realize, "Hey, I haven't...................yet! Better go do that now!" :)

The Oasis class ships are not more crowded than other ships, in my experience. The availability of so many different activities tends to disperse people throughout the ship.

You will see the usual back up at "prime time" such as when a show lets out or people are all going to dinner at the same time. Then elevators are at a premium. I like to use the stairs. :)

The Windjammer buffet can get crowded, but there are lots of other places to eat. In each elevator lobby there is a "Wayfinder" which is an interactive computer screen that offers you a great deal of information, including the how busy each eating venue is.

I highly recommend trying an Oasis class ship. :)

When we sailed Oasis, my husband did the zip line just before sail away - no line up. It was awesome and he had a great time! See what you can do early in the cruise, as Merion_Mom said. I have encountered long lines for the Flow Rider and then at times, there were only 5 people in line. The standard answer is "It depends.".;p

I also think one should try Oasis class; only then will you know if you like it enough to drop more money on it next cruise. Personally, we prefer Radiance class ships, but we are glad we did Oasis. :)

The Oasis & Quantum ships are my favorites. Got 2 booked on Allure & Symphony & one on the Anthem. Never felt crowded unless something is occurring in the Promenade, such as parades, Captain's night, etc. When on the Oasis class we never go to the WJ as there are eating venues that are more conducive, eg. CP, Solarium & Wipeout Cafes. In addition, there is a wonderful breakfast spread & salad bar (Tutti) for lunch in the MDR on sea days.

We have been on every RCCL class of ship. Agree with others, because of the way they are laid out and many options we actually found the Oasis class to seem less crowed. They did an amazing job of setting those ships up to make them feel smaller than many of the smaller cruise ships. Didn't believe it until we sailed on them and they are now our favorite class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We found that Oasis class ships are not very crowded, but Quantum class can be.

The Oasis/Quantum class ships are not more crowded than other ships, in my experience. The availability of so many different activities tends to disperse people throughout the ship.

You will see the usual back up at "prime time" such as when a show lets out or people are all going to dinner at the same time. Then elevators are at a premium. I like to use the stairs. :)

The Windjammer buffet can get crowded, but there are lots of other places to eat. In each elevator lobby there is a "Wayfinder" which is an interactive computer screen that offers you a great deal of information, including the how busy each eating venue is.

I highly recommend trying an Oasis/Quantum class ship. :)

We found that Oasis class ships are not very crowded, but Quantum class can be.

And I would say that the things that I said about Oasis class apply to Quantum class. :)

We had done 3 Carnival and 2 RCL ships before we did the Oasis OTS In 2013, so it's been awhile since we've done a RCCL mega ship, but believe me the OTS is simply 'breathtaking'. She was only about 3 years old and every inch was sparking, even the common areas, where you catch the elevators were spotless. But, the buffet can be a little crowed ! When you have almost three thousand people (remember, there's almost 5400 aboard) and sometimes it seems like they ALL show up for dinner, sometimes. Just be patient w/some who jump in front of you, those people act like they will NEVER get another meal again ! Just roll your eyes and enjoy the beauty of that ship !!

Mac

There are lines sometimes, usually sea days in the middle of the day.

Everything is open enough that you can find times that are not that bad.

I have an issue with lines also, and will walk out of stores if the checkout line is to long.

Don't let this be the reason not to go on these ships.

We have been on 4 cruises but all with Carnival and all on their older, smaller ships. I'm just curious about the big ships on Royal Caribbean.

It might ease the transition better if you went on something "smaller" like a Voyager or Freedom class ship first - they have just about all the features of Oasis class on a smaller footprint and budget.

About 40-60 minutes - sometimes more....

I would counter that with a prepared cruiser knows how to avoid the lines, or in the case of the flowrider some people enjoy watching others while they wait, but it you don't wait till the afternoon of the last sea day there are less crowded days. I've rarely seen more than a few minutes wait on the rock wall.

About 40-60 minutes - sometimes more....

I have never experienced waits like that. I have frequently done rock walls with no wait at all and climbed multiple times. I don't think I've ever waited for the flowrider for more that 20 minutes or so and, typically, less. Maybe it is all in the timing?

Large ships are the best! So much to do and lines shortest earlier in the cruise and on port days. So give one a try. I suggest Harmony of the Seas then Oasis of the Seas.

My first cruise was on an older, smaller Carnival ship - Fascination - and my second was on a RC mega ship - Allure. Even though the Carnival cruise had something like 3000 less people, it felt much more crowded! On sea days I could not find a single lounger if I didn't get out before 9am, often waited 30 minutes for dinner and some things, such as the single tiny pool, were so crowded that I didn't even try. On Allure, we always found plenty of loungers available in the solarium no matter the time of day, never waited more than 15 minutes for dinner (and we were given complimentary champagne that night for our "long wait"), and overall felt a lot less crowded throughout the ship. It also took us over an hour to get through Carnival security while with Allure we were on the ship within 15 minutes of handing our bags to the porters.

I chickened out on flow rider, so I can't comment on that line, but I waited approximately 5 minutes for the rock wall and 0 minutes for the zip line. There are a couple places you will notice the crowd - in the Windjammer buffet at peak meal times (but there are many other free less crowded options), and at the shows if you don't have a reservation (make reservations in advance and this is no problem!).

My experience on Allure left me never wanting to cruise Carnival again. Go for the mega ship! You will have tons of fun!