Accident on Independence caused by crew member

So when some of you get into say get into car accident I hope you can suck it up and say its just an accident.

Sometimes the consequences of a hit or a fall doesnt cause any harm to you immediately but you pay for that fall eventually. Any injury to your joints will have a direct impact sooner or later. OP said he's badly bruised, so the least RC can do is pay for the medical bills if he needs to seek medical attention at this point. It s

The doors are automatic, at least they used to be. All the ships have a greeter at the door, not to work the door. washy washy

The op refused medical attention offered by the cruise line

This person seems to get around just fine:rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53365732#post53365732

Edited by setsail

One night on Celebrity I tripped getting back into bed in the dark. My own fault, I should have put the light on. I wasn't badly hurt, but went to the medical centre in the morning because my head was still bleeding. The doctor glued the cut, and had me fill out a form. The safety officer came to the cabin to take a report with pictures of where I had fallen and of the cut on my head. There was no cost for the doctor and that evening I received sparkling wine and strawberries in the cabin. I repeat, this was entirely my own fault and I was surprised at how seriously the incident was taken. The OP should have seen the doctor.

Sheila

I would have taken the advise of the crew member and visited the ships doctor and filled out an incident/accident report. Followed up by a visit to GS and requested to speak to the Hotel Director. At least the incident would have been properly documented at that time. Little too late now.

Just because someone did it doesnt make it justified or "right". We live today, sadly, in a way too litigious society where people are always trying to cash in on inadvertent trivial accidents like this. There was no serious or permanent injury. The cruise line tried to do what they could to remedy it. The OP needs to realize that and get on with life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Understood, just bringing it up.

FWIW, I got a stack of loungers knocked over on me by a crew member moving a larger stack than he could handle. He apologized, I helped him put them back on the cart and we moved on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The doors are automatic, at least they used to be. All the ships have a greeter at the door, not to work the door. washy washy

The op refused medical attention offered by the cruise line

This person seems to get around just fine:rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53365732#post53365732

Oops :cool:

Oops :cool:

Hi

I have terminal cancer. It has spread to my bones, and is in both femurs. I am registered disabled.

I do get around just fine, but slowly and carefully.

I have to watch for uneven flooring so was looking at the floor when the accident happened.

I am not litigious and I have no intention of claiming anything. I was more concerned about how an accident like this could happen. The doors closed at some speed and I was really shaken because of my frail bones.

Thank you.

So when some of you get into say get into car accident I hope you can suck it up and say its just an accident.

Sometimes the consequences of a hit or a fall doesnt cause any harm to you immediately but you pay for that fall eventually. Any injury to your joints will have a direct impact sooner or later. OP said he's badly bruised, so the least RC can do is pay for the medical bills if he needs to seek medical attention at this point. It s

The OP was more concerned with the possible generation of a charge than making sure she was ok. Maybe her post would have been better directed a warning people to make better decisions than she did.

As for your statement that ANY injury to your joints will have a direct impact sooner or later... are you serious? The body has the ability to recover from injuries often with no residual issues at all.

Hi

I have terminal cancer. It has spread to my bones, and is in both femurs. I am registered disabled.

I do get around just fine, but slowly and carefully.

I have to watch for uneven flooring so was looking at the floor when the accident happened.

I am not litigious and I have no intention of claiming anything. I was more concerned about how an accident like this could happen. The doors closed at some speed and I was really shaken because of my frail bones.

Thank you.

Very sorry to read of these very unfortunate circumstances. However, probably even more reason why you should have accepted the offer of medical care to make sure you didn't incur a pathological fracture.

Were you wearing any protective clothing? If not I think if you go cruising again, maybe wear some knee pads, or some other form of padding around your legs, and maybe a hi vis vest. If people see you approaching this type of door, they ma be just a little more careful. Other than that I don't really know what else you could do to prevent such a thing happening in the future.

Hope you're bruising clears soon.

Sorry for your accident onboard. It does seem if these doors are heavy that there should be a warning beep when closing. I am glad you had them report the incident although I don't think it will go far. If you really want to make a procedure change you should email corporate head quarters. Not to complain but as a suggestion to prevent it in the future.

I had an incident happen and did not want anything from it but to prevent it from happening to someone else. They went back and reviewed tapes from the ship to see that I was I truthful. ( I had no idea that they could do that. ) I am not sure my suggestion was acted upon but thought it was kind of my duty to report it. I am a seasoned cruiser but if it had happened to a new cruiser it would have left a bad impression. I did not want the crew member to get into trouble but only to be educated how to handle what occurred better in the future . They called me twice in follow up. I felt I was heard.

Sorry for your accident onboard. It does seem if these doors are heavy that there should be a warning beep when closing. I am glad you had them report the incident although I don't think it will go far. If you really want to make a procedure change you should email corporate head quarters. Not to complain but as a suggestion to prevent it in the future.

I had an incident happen and did not want anything from it but to prevent it from happening to someone else. They went back and reviewed tapes from the ship to see that I was I truthful. ( I had no idea that they could do that. ) I am not sure my suggestion was acted upon but thought it was kind of my duty to report it. I am a seasoned cruiser but if it had happened to a new cruiser it would have left a bad impression. I did not want the crew member to get into trouble but only to be educated how to handle what occurred better in the future . They called me twice in follow up. I felt I was heard.

Thank you for that, I'll email them tomorrow to see if they can improve procedures.

I am sorry his happened to you, but accidents do happen and it sounds like they tried to do everything they could to assist you afterwards. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent every accident that could possibly occur. I am sure the crew member was very sorry and will most likely be more careful in the future. The old saying "we learn from our mistakes" applies to all of us at one time or another. Some of us must recover from worse mistakes made than others. I am gad you were not seriously injured and hope you feel better soon!

This is a training and procedure incident. The crew member closing the door needs to make sure that no one is in or approaching the door that is being closed. Preferably, a second crew member should be the one checking since the full doorway and approach may not be visible from where the door controls are located.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What would you call him? He was the reciepiant of an injury he didn't cause himself.

In some people's minds there are never any victims until...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We received a call later at 6.30 to see if I was OK.

What should I do about this so it doesn't happen to someone else?

You got a call from the doctor so the crewmember obviously reported it and they will make steps to see it doesn't happen again. Ironically steps were an issue for me on Adventure this spring. In Curacao there was a one inch gap between the gangway and the steps the port provided. I was looking down the pier and caught my foot in that gap and went flying with my camera and sunglasses. I survived and was sore for a day. I had all kinds of crew members rush over and check on me and take my name. Never heard anything more about it. Not sure when I'll be back on Adventure in Curaco to see if they corrected it. They were either adding fuel, or draining tanks for the ship and I think one of the hoses bumped the stair platform.