Too much negativity - let's have some positive thoughts.

geospyder

We are also happy Celebrity customers!

We follow CC and comment on both trends we like/don't like. If on board there are any issues spoiling our cruising pleasure we mention to staff to sort...

We are not blinkered....we do look at other holiday options and new cruise ships. We have not booked our next three cruises on Celebrity out of 'loyalty' we have booked them because their product has what we want at this moment in time at a price we feel is fair....

I do think sometimes that some negatives come because either people are 'cruised out', 'bored with the same'...We still enjoy other vacation types and our cruising is kept fresh by visiting a wide range of destinations. Familiarity can breed contempt rather than content.

I like the way Celebrity has been raising the cruise fares. I like the way they're forcing people on the classic package to pay extra for drinks and canned soda that used to be on that package or pay to upgrade to the premium package to get brands that used to be included in classic.

I like the cut in crew at both bar/wait staff and cabin attendants. I like the hike in specialty restaurant charges plus the extra menu charges for premium cuts. I like the charge for Kobe beef at the Top Deck Burger Bar. I like the cheaper cuts of meat and lack of good seafood in the MDR and buffet.

I like the daily water in Aqua Class being reduced to welcoming bottle. There are more examples but they're too numerous to list all of them. I'm happy because the stock has soared since the first quarter numbers! Thank you Lisa for your contribution to RCL.

Brilliant.

We are on Silhouette but leaving today. Have been on Princess and Cunard but Celebrity is our favourite. But that does not mean we haven't noticed interesting changes to the way they've impacted on the customer spend. But still happy.

... I also 'think' I remember when bread was $0.49 a loaf, too. I still purchase it regularly for the family, though, but the healthier brands only. Most who purchase the sprouted mult-grain varieties know how much they cost! YIKES

Then there is the organic food, too.

LOL

bon voyage

We are on Silhouette but leaving today. Have been on Princess and Cunard but Celebrity is our favourite. But that does not mean we haven't noticed interesting changes to the way they've impacted on the customer spend. But still happy.

Well said!

I'm booked on X for the first time for next year on the Equinox. I'm not new to cruising, my first in 1995, so I've seen the changes in other lines. All the mass market lines have cut back or added charges, or both. That includes Princess,HAL, and of course the big 3 lines. If you go on those boards, the complaints are almost word for word with these forums. It is what it is. Either accept it, or change the way you vacation. I, for one, have accepted it, and will continue to enjoy my cruises.

I like Celebrity. I've got future cruises booked. However I don't like the trend I'm seeing among the non-luxury cruise lines.

So we complain when things like the Mast grill go from free to extra charge. Not because we can't afford to pay $10 for a burger if we want one, but because we see this as another step in chipping away the cruise experience we so much love. Will service erosion ever progress to the point where we are left with the choice between luxury lines we can't afford, or mainstream lines that we don't like? I hope not, but don't blame me for pointing out the signs along the way.

Spot on

I have noticed the changes over the years. I do not like many of them, however the worst day I've had on a cruise ship is still far and away better than the best day at work! (And I love what I do!)

You call this service erosion. If these same services were offered today, have you considered that the cost would be prohibitive? There is a very delicate balance between providing first rate services and affordability. Something has to give.
I think this is what some don't take into consideration. They want "how cruising use to be", but at "today's prices" and those two things will never go together. I remember the olden days (and yes, I loved some of the things we got) and I paid more for my cruises then I do today. Prices for goods and services for cruise lines continue to increase in cost and they can either pass on those price increases or make some cutbacks, so that the cruising prices will still be affordable for the majority, not just the affluent.

You call this service erosion. If these same services were offered today, have you considered that the cost would be prohibitive? There is a very delicate balance between providing first rate services and affordability. Something has to give.

Well looking to the gas station scenario, when those services were preformed gas was 36 cents a gallon. Some stations would give you a drinking glass or a steak knife with a fill up. Well it's over $2.00 a gallon and has seen prices of over $4.00 a gallon. We now have to swipe our debit/credit card at the pump or walk in to the station to pay and pump our own gas. This is neither good service or affordability. How long before we are making our own meals and cleaning our rooms on a cruise ship?

Well looking to the gas station scenario, when those services were preformed gas was 36 cents a gallon. Some stations would give you a drinking glass or a steak knife with a fill up. Well it's over $2.00 a gallon and has seen prices of over $4.00 a gallon. We now have to swipe our debit/credit card at the pump or walk in to the station to pay and pump our own gas. This is neither good service or affordability. How long before we are making our own meals and cleaning our rooms on a cruise ship?

I - one can do that on Windjammer now, well, with the exception of cleaning your room, but that can be arranged too, if you like... :cool:

bon voyage

I think this is what some don't take into consideration. They want "how cruising use to be", but at "today's prices" and those two things will never go together. I remember the olden days (and yes, I loved some of the things we got) and I paid more for my cruises then I do today. Prices for goods and services for cruise lines continue to increase in cost and they can either pass on those price increases or make some cutbacks, so that the cruising prices will still be affordable for the majority, not just the affluent.

I don't disagree that when wage inflation falls behind the general inflation rate, the equivalent item becomes less affordable. I'm not sure to what extent this explains the trend of "service erosion" in the mainstream cruise industry, but in truth the cause doesn't really matter - it's the outcome I worry about. I'm worried that, for whatever reason, the cruise industry will bifurcate into mainstream lines that no longer provide an acceptable level of service, and luxury lines that I can't afford.

Maybe it boils down to a worry that I will no longer be able to afford a level of service that I have grown accustom to. Some will argue that "service erosion" is unavoidable. In order to keep things affordable, quality must decline. They may be right, but I hope not. I'm too optimistic to accept the notion that all things get worse with time (being 60+ I have a vested interest in this position):D Let me be clear..... I don't think the mainstream cruise industry has reached this point. Maybe it never will, but there are certainly signs that it is headed in that direction.

I like Celebrity. I've got future cruises booked. However I don't like the trend I'm seeing among the non-luxury cruise lines.

I think it's safe to say that many of us are old enough to remember multiple instances of industries where service erosion has destroyed the experience. This hasn't happened to the premium cruise lines yet, but I think some of us fear that it could.

Going way back.... remember when you used to pull into the service station to buy gas? You stayed in your car. They filled your tank, washed your windshield, checked your oil level and tire pressure. The service guy probably recognized you and knew your name. Slowly over time that level of service eroded and finally vanished.

More recently, consider the airline industry. Traveling was special. People even dressed up for it. Food was served on most flights over a few hours. Seats had leg room. You could actually cross your legs. In-flight entertainment was free. They had special in-cabin storage for garment bags. They had racks with a selection of magazines. There were ample rest rooms. Remember when the 747 came out and they had a bar upstairs you could visit in-flight? Over time this level of service has eroded (I should say - evaporated). Today you are jammed into tight seats, have to pay for checked bags (sometimes even carry-ons), don't get fed (or are charged for really poor quality food), have to pay if you want to reserve a seat, etc.

There are many other examples of service erosion that have left some of us oldsters fondly remembering days past. We'd just hate to see that happen to the cruise industry.

Yes, you can fly business class, you used to be able to pay more for full service gas, and you can cruise on a luxury line. However, I think in many cases the concern is, service levels that you used to be able to afford are no longer available or no longer affordable. Some of us see the beginnings of this in the cruise industry. So we complain when things like the Mast grill go from free to extra charge. Not because we can't afford to pay $10 for a burger if we want one, but because we see this as another step in chipping away the cruise experience we so much love. Will service erosion ever progress to the point where we are left with the choice between luxury lines we can't afford, or mainstream lines that we don't like? I hope not, but don't blame me for pointing out the signs along the way.

I have never been on celebrity but I used to work in the gas industry and even though the services went away with checking things , I would still do it for people anyway. It was a nice thing to give people for some nice customer service and felt they have been helped to a degree. I still dont mind doing it for people while we are doing light traveling. I am easy going and love cruising, just cant afford to right now. But heck I would take inside cabins and eat what is there and just enjoy the relaxation for me and hubby. Someday I hope to sail many of the lines. I am not partial to anyone line.

Perhaps what helps drive our own "negativity" (which we call realism) is the fact that we have cruised on 14 different lines (more then 60 different ships)....and so have a pretty good basis of comparison. Celebrity used to be at the top of our list for mass market cruise lines....but has tumbled (badly) in the past 3 years. We still think that Celebrity has a good product....but we used to think it was much better then "very good." And now, when coupled with the price increases in the past 3 years....we now think that several other mass market lines are giving more quality for the price.

As to the OP's comments, we would just submit that many folks love Holiday Inns....because they have never tried a Hilton, Ritz, etc. Sometimes its better not to know what you are missing....but not all of us see it that way.

As to the basic attitude of posts, we like to read as much as possible..be it positive, negative, neutral, etc. The trends (among posts) that we see here on CC do help drive our decision making on future cruises. Over the years (and we go back way before there was even a CC....and most of us had to rely on AOL or Prodigy) it is pretty easy to spot trends (both positive and negative) by reading with an open mind. So where have we seen positive trends on CC? Oceania ( a line that we have yet to cruise) does seem to get pretty high marks...although folks do admit to a problem with their entertainment. To us, the most interesting trends have been on the MSC board over the past couple of years. In fact, based on many posts we have taken the plunge and booked a 21 day MSC Cruise (in the Yacht Club). This booking would have normally been a 21 day Celebrity booking...but we can no longer ignore what we think is happening to Celebrity (and its not good).

We get an awful feeling that nothing good is going to happen at Celebrity as long as LLP is at the helm...(or unless she has a major change of heart). Given her long experience in the industry, we have to assume she knows what she is doing....it is intentional....and its not to our own taste. As a stockholder, we wish her the best of luck improving the bottom line....but that improvement will likely be done without our future contributions.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Good discussions - keep them coming. BTW - MSC was mentioned. If you do book MSC be sure to join their Voyages Club. They match your Celebrity status. If you are Elite or above you get their top their top status - Black. The two cruises that we have booked at the moment that are not Celebrity are a MSC cruise out of South Africa and a Viking Ocean cruise out of Rome that stops in Algeria and Tunisia.

Good discussions - keep them coming. BTW - MSC was mentioned. If you do book MSC be sure to join their Voyages Club. They match your Celebrity status. If you are Elite or above you get their top their top status - Black. The two cruises that we have booked at the moment that are not Celebrity are a MSC cruise out of South Africa and a Viking Ocean cruise out of Rome that stops in Algeria and Tunisia.

Good tip. We used their match program (quickly got our Black Status) before booking....to qualify for the 5% discount. Its a funny thing..but sometimes we get the felling that certain cruise lines (such as X) are quite happy to drive away the older frequent cruisers. But MSC...is really pulling out all the stops to attract new cruisers. They are still pretty new in the US Market...but with 10 more ships on order....they are going to become a huge player in the US Market. They have long had a good presence in the European market...but were not marketing to North Americans. This is all now changing (fast).

Hank

Our first cruise was by accident to be Celebrity and we loved it. We were very impressed and have been with Celebrity for 7 cruises. We have another booked for fall 2018, but will change it if the price does not come down. We wanted to go to Tahiti and didn't want to fly, so Princess has a round trip out of LA that we have a deposit on. I have second thoughts only because we know Celebrity and we will be 28 nights on Princess (what if we hate it). But I will give it a try. My driving force for cruising is price and designation. We have always had wonderful service and hard working people treating and acting like I matter. We have had some problems, but Celebrity has always come through to resolve the problem to our satisfaction. I don't mind the negativity, but do not like the people that criticize someone for asking a question or make it sound like it was a stupid question. I assumed this board was here to ask and hopefully get helpful information.

Ahhh, so you are going to take that Emerald Princess Cruise...(it is a great itinerary). We have a few hundred days on Princess and you will find somethings similar to Celebrity and others things not! If you are booking a balcony cabin...try and get a balcony that is on the Caribe Deck (they are larger...and about half covered and half in the open. What we don't like about Princess is that they have 3 separate MDRs (all just about identical in size). One is dedicated to fixed dining...one is dedicated to open dining...and the third is usually used for both (fixed until about 7:30 and then open dining). We sometimes find this a pain in the behind. We also think that the Emerald's main theater is a bit small...so if you eat early you will need to go the show at least 20 min early to get a seat (not an issue if you go to the show intended for later diners). If the shows are well attended the CD might have a third show (production shows) performed to ease the seating issues.

One of our favorite spots on the Emerald (and other Grand and Royal Class ships) is the International Cafe...which is open 24/7. DW love to hang out at this venue where we can sip coffee, eat snacks (they have donuts in the morning....small things at lunch, etc) and people watch in the atrium. Years ago, Princess was one of our favorite lines..but then did too many cut-backs...so we left them for other lines. About 4 years ago we ventured back to Princess and thought, they are back! We have since been on 3 more Princess cruises with few complaints (other then the dining hassles).

Hank

Just off the Equinox July 2 and July 9 sailings, so I'll list the positives we enjoyed.

- On the second leg, we noticed the return of watercolor painting classes. The instructor was wonderful and there was no fee attached.

- Blu was great every day. It's nice to walk to the podium and be recognized by name and seated promptly.

- The televisions now offer the ability to view that evening's menus. The for-a-fee restaurant menus don't change, but we could check out what Blu vs the MDR were serving.

- By viewing the restaurant menus on the TV, we found that Sushi on 5 now offers Sushi to Go. You can pick it up or have it delivered to your stateroom. The cocktails and ramen dishes are not included in Sushi to Go, and you can only order during times when Sushi on 5 is open.

- The canapés have returned to the format we enjoyed in the past. For awhile there, lifting the cover revealed 2 or 3 chips, olives and hummus. Now, lifting the cloche reveals a different assortment daily. There were always 3 savory and one sweet component.

- I took a chance in not packing my own hair products and found that we got along just fine with the products in our stateroom.

Were there any negatives? Sure. But we were pleased with these positive changes and I thought this was a good place to acknowledge them.

One of the many reasons we return to Celebrity is the people. The crews have been exceptional, always helpful and enthusiastic. Fellow passengers are happy and positive, making me wonder why there are so many negative posts on these cruise critic boards. I guess those disgruntled folks are on other ships! Maybe they're grumpy because they are miserable at home, while the rest of us are enjoying the blessed life of cruising.

Ahhh, so you are going to take that Emerald Princess Cruise...(it is a great itinerary). We have a few hundred days on Princess and you will find somethings similar to Celebrity and others things not! If you are booking a balcony cabin...try and get a balcony that is on the Caribe Deck (they are larger...and about half covered and half in the open. What we don't like about Princess is that they have 3 separate MDRs (all just about identical in size). One is dedicated to fixed dining...one is dedicated to open dining...and the third is usually used for both (fixed until about 7:30 and then open dining). We sometimes find this a pain in the behind. We also think that the Emerald's main theater is a bit small...so if you eat early you will need to go the show at least 20 min early to get a seat (not an issue if you go to the show intended for later diners). If the shows are well attended the CD might have a third show (production shows) performed to ease the seating issues.

One of our favorite spots on the Emerald (and other Grand and Royal Class ships) is the International Cafe...which is open 24/7. DW love to hang out at this venue where we can sip coffee, eat snacks (they have donuts in the morning....small things at lunch, etc) and people watch in the atrium. Years ago, Princess was one of our favorite lines..but then did too many cut-backs...so we left them for other lines. About 4 years ago we ventured back to Princess and thought, they are back! We have since been on 3 more Princess cruises with few complaints (other then the dining hassles).

Hank

thank you Hank for the positive feedback. Makes me fell better, as my Hubby wants this cruise. We do have a balcony, but on Rivera Deck (11) and have fixed dinning, we also got the Beverage package included in our price.