Escape room now $20 on Harmony

For that price we would probably skip it and do the local Escape rooms at home when we are looking for something to do. We don't like tying up too many time slots with activities ahead of time as we find it make the cruise not seem as relaxing.

I'm pretty sure we have done them at home for less with a Groupon deal anyway.

We did it last month on Harmony....worth the $9pp, but not 19 or 20...no way!!!! Soon they will charge you for ice skating, climbing wall and zipline....and then tickets to the shows!!!

Edited by ptf2009
spelling

Not sure if anyone realizes if the event is free/cheap, there will be people that register for time slots that do not show up. By making it $20, people will still sign up but now there's a meaningful incentive to attend what you've registered for. The escape room isnt like MTD or the theater where if there are empty seats, you can backfill with a waitlist. Once the escape room starts, you cant join midway.

I'd say Royal could make the reservation a *deposit* rather than a fee where if you attend, you get your $20 back as OBC. The logistics of that would be annoying though.

Not sure if anyone realizes if the event is free/cheap, there will be people that register for time slots that do not show up.

That used to happen with the character breakfast. Used to be free, and people would reserve multiple mornings so they had "flexibility" with their schedule. Now adults have to pay for it.

That will come in handy since everyone in my group has the drink package. Wonderful add on.

same here, that is just plain stupid. If it would have been $20 pp when we booked, I would not have done it. Not worth it for $20 pp. We paid $9 and that is more than enough. I would REALLY have to want to do it to pay that much. We are doing it, should be fun, but would never pay that much for it.

It won't be long till there is a charge for the flow rider and the carousel on the boardwalks...

People should just book one slot, and if they don't go then tough, they have missed their go. That would solve multiple bookings wouldn't it

It won't be long till there is a charge for the flow rider and the carousel on the boardwalks...

People should just book one slot, and if they don't go then tough, they have missed their go. That would solve multiple bookings wouldn't it

I think they know they wouldn't get away with this while the ship is in Europe (Was free on Anthem & also Harmony in Europe)

Once it goes to the US though they start charging, people pay it, they continue to charge

Just went to register for the Escape room on Harmony and it's now $20. From free to $9 to $20 in a year...Hate to see the price in 2020.

Anyone that has done it, is it worth it? I've done the land based ones, but wondering if this is cruise shortened?

We have done the room on the Anthem (there was no charge - at the time, anyway). It was well done - more difficult than most 'land' rooms, I think. We have done a few of those. And it was the same - one hour to get out/solve. I would say if you think it is worth paying the $20 to do an escape room, and you don't mind paying the extra while cruising, then you should like it. And while there is not the 'excitement' of possibly winning the big bingo prize, at least you have the satisfaction of making it out (hopefully) - which is more than you are likely to get from Bingo. :p

The one we did had enough puzzles that people could be working on different things at the same time. The main thing is unless you have a big group, you will be in with other people - but that's often the case on land too.

Royal seems to follow the path of:

1. Lets Try X, they do it on land. if people don't like it it stops, if they do;

2. Let's try a small fee to see if we can recoup some cost/make some money; repeat conclusions

3. Let's charge land based prices; repeat conclusions

4. Let's go above market value because of a captive audience/sell and experience.

Good Business Model.

same here, that is just plain stupid. If it would have been $20 pp when we booked, I would not have done it. Not worth it for $20 pp. We paid $9 and that is more than enough. I would REALLY have to want to do it to pay that much. We are doing it, should be fun, but would never pay that much for it.

Agree.

It's not about the amount...it's about the principle of continuing to nickel and dime ship features. We've done it, and quite frankly...it was barely worth the time to do it. There's no way we'd pay $20 (or even $10) for it.

Two words: Rip Off

Agreed. Also, just because someone else might say it, why bring oneself to that level?

I read 3cats post as being to the effect of...

here we go, this is now where we get the old "Well don't cruise if you are poor then!" as responses.

I don't think 3cats was saying their own opinion?

I booked for the Harmony January 13th cruise. I was disappointed I didn't get to do it on Anthem so I was glad to see it available online even at $20 per person. I've done a few on land (they've all been more than $20) and DH and I have never escaped. I chose a sea day at 10am because I didn't think we would be doing much else at that time.

We did it on the Anthem when it was free. There were 5 family members. As you know if you find a clue you share it with everyone. We were with others that did not share nor would they listen to us. We’re glad we didn’t have to pay because they spoiled the experience. If I have to pay they better place nicely and share

I did the escape room on Harmony on the TA when it was free. There were several people that had signed up and did not show up. There were only 3 of us. The minimum is 6. We tried to recruit people walking by and finally got 5 of us. They let us do the room [even without 6] and we were successful as time ran out. We REALLY had to hustle to make it work with 5.

I enjoyed it a lot. I would have paid a small fee and I think that would keep people from being a no-show. However, $20 is too much. JMHO

Just went to register for the Escape room on Harmony and it's now $20. From free to $9 to $20 in a year...Hate to see the price in 2020.

Anyone that has done it, is it worth it? I've done the land based ones, but wondering if this is cruise shortened?

While I have not don't it in a ship, I have dinner many escape runs in several cities, and that is still cheaper than most. I assume it is about the same thing.

I understand free would be better obviously, but if it means it will only be done by those that truly want to, and they are filling all the slots, them it makes sense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately it's way been going for years. Cruise base price but extra's cost. What was free costs now. 30 yrs ago soda pop with meals free, 20 yrs ago Johnny Rockets was free. Had over the top Midnite Buffets and room service both with lot of waste that now cost. By adding charges keeps cruise prices down. Base price to cruise is lot cheaper then 30 yrs ago not even taking into account inflation. Sovereign sailing in 1988 was $3600+. This for smallest porthole deck 2 cabin. Royal Ships and most others didn't even have a single Balcony then. I sailed last Oct on Serenade, a 12 nite BOS/FLL Repo 2 bed/2bath suite all to myself for $3400. I sail 2-4 10/11 nite Serenade cruise every yr in aft cabins 9256 and 8168 and never paid $3400. All this said newer ships are lot more expensive and I feel for families the extras do add up...

Is it chargeable on all ships now, or free in Europe/on some ships?

There are no ships that have this in Europe (until Symphony next summer). Of the ships that do have it, seems that Harmony is the only one charging for it. As with other issues, this is subject to change at any time.

Just booked the Escape Room on the Harmony for $8.99 a person. Happy it was not $20, if it was probably would not do it. Must be cheaper to pre-book it then to book it onboard.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I pre booked for January 13 HOS at $20 per person. What sailing did you get for $8.99?

You have no justification telling me to lighten up when you tell someone they shouldn't be cruising if they can't spend $20. That is just rude and a winking emojii doesn't make it any more tolerable.

Lighten up :cool: ?