Insect Infestation from Freedom - Complaint (11/18/2017 Sailing)

Blast123

Hello,

We just finished our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. We had a severe problem with insects on our first night that came into the room and were all over our room. (300+ flies)

We contacted the Front desk, and after multiple calls, visits to the front desk, etc. The issue went unresolved. My wife and I had to kill and remove all the insects ourselves. After finishing up. around 2 AM, the RCCL crew came by to vacuum the room and changed the sheets. AFTER this, a second crew came to treat the room with chemicals. We asked how they would ensure that our possessions would not be affected with the chemicals, as well as changing the sheets. They did not know the answers. We argued with them, and it led to at front desk assistant supervisor telling the crew to leave the guests alone and to address it in the morning.

With all this happening, we were told by the Front Desk that RCCL will not be compensating for this, and they are sorry.

I'm a bit annoyed, outside of this, we had a good cruise. But given the circumstance, I'm surprised at the extremely poor customer service around this experience.

Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks!

The insects came in from outside the balcony, there were 6 rooms that were in the lobby at 2 in the morning. The next day they said that 30 rooms were affected.

Ours was pretty bad, I have some pictures of our sheets, they have about 100 bugs on them!

The insects came in from outside the balcony, there were 6 rooms that were in the lobby at 2 in the morning. The next day they said that 30 rooms were affected.

Ours was pretty bad, I have some pictures of our sheets, they have about 100 bugs on them!

I assume you meant that the occupants of six rooms were in the lobby at 2 in the morning. Strange that you wouldn't receive some kind of compensation for your trouble, although RCI probably feels it wasn't their fault and they did what they could to resolve the complaint.....

Ugly issue to be subjected to on a cruise....

I am still confused. Was your balcony door open?

Every ship you are on constantly reminds you to not leave balcony doors open. Then people leave them open and are surprised that bugs come in. Do you leave your doors and windows wide open without screens at home. Probably not, so why do it on a ship?

Strange story.....

I have found royal to be responsive to concerns expressed. ( only twice in 35 cruises have I felt the need to express any and was not looking for compensation for either) .

I have been called both times. Be brief, unemotional in your comments and I would provide pictures since you have them.

The unreasonable question? Where you in the room when the flies came in? We never leave our balcony door open if we aren't in the room. They did try to come in help...

Welcome to cruise critic.

I am curious what compensation are you seeking, what would be fair?. Seems like you had an issue and it was addressed. Probably not as smoothly as it could have been, but still addressed. If you left your balcony door open them it seems that it is not a cruise line issue. How were the bugs getting in?

Bottom line if you left the door open and the bugs entered that way, then you are being unreasonable. If the bugs were there when you entered the cabin, then you have a valid complaint. Just my 2 cents.

Balcony door must have been open a while for 300 bugs to find their way in........ If OP was IN the cabin how could one not see this happening and close the door?

As for treating with chemicals, common sense response would have been "no thanks just vacuum them up and we won't leave the door open again".........

And here come the cheerleaders.

OP. sounds like a horrible introduction. I too would have been concerned about spraying chemicals in a confined cabin space. Especially since I would then be expected to sleep in the cabin. Did staff not offer any explanation of what was being sprayed, how safe it was for humans, and how long it would linger?

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. We were out of the cabin most of the day as we were out and about on the ship. The balcony door was closed. I opened it for 30 seconds when we got back to the cabin when it was already dark out, to go look at the ocean. The insect infestation was from outside, and apparently "unprecedented". In that 30 seconds is when the insects entered. Given we were at sea, and it was dark out, I did not expect there to be that many insects out on the balcony when we were a few hours away from land.

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. We were out of the cabin most of the day as we were out and about on the ship. The balcony door was closed. I opened it for 30 seconds when we got back to the cabin when it was already dark out, to go look at the ocean. The insect infestation was from outside, and apparently "unprecedented". In that 30 seconds is when the insects entered. Given we were at sea, and it was dark out, I did not expect there to be that many insects out on the balcony when we were a few hours away from land.

Yesterday, while shopping, I met someone who just returned from her second Disney Cruise. She had a wonderful time and is looking forward to the experience again, except for bug bites all over her body. She was speaking to a sales person about what she could use for relief from itching (over the counter Cortisone did not work). She told me that she had bites all over her body, that she received on the ship. According to her she received them on the top deck, not in port!. She said that they were a few hours away from land (Bahamas) when she was bitten and that she was the only one in her family that received the bites.

So this is RCCL's fault how? I am not exclusive to one cruise line or the other, but I just dont feel the need for compensation for something that was COMPLETELY out of there control. They changed the sheets, were going to attempt to vacuum the bugs...You opened the balcony door, bugs came in, completely sucks, I get it! What did you want Royal to do?

So this is RCCL's fault how? I am not exclusive to one cruise line or the other, but I just dont feel the need for compensation for something that was COMPLETELY out of there control. They changed the sheets, were going to attempt to vacuum the bugs...You opened the balcony door, bugs came in, completely sucks, I get it! What did you want Royal to do?

You have no idea of the actual circumstances. We only have one side of the story.

Obviously if the ship was at sea, the infestation was on the ship. So ultimately it is the ship's responsibility. What is not known is if this infestation existed prior to boarding. Nor do we know if the fact was known by ship personnel.

To suggest that the infestation was completely out of ship control is at best an assumption with no supporting evidence.

Having trouble attaching pics.

It was Freedom of the Seas

My biggest struggle is that it took until 2AM to get clean sheets and get the place vacuumed. Not sure about you guys, but we don't stay up that late, and it's very disruptive for the kids.

Edited by Blast123
Pictures

What port were you leaving from?

I have read on CC about a ship picking up massive amounts of flies from an island that was extremely infested, don't remember where but it was in the Caribbean. The flies made their way to the ship and the upper deck was overwhelmed. So it's plausible that a similar situation could happen and they end up on balconies rather than top deck.

We have been to St. Maarten a few times and for whatever reason there are always butterflies flying around everywhere in port. They make their way to the ship pretty quickly and they're absolutely everywhere on the upper deck. It takes a while before they disappear.