The Captain

dateacher

It amazes me when I read posts about the Captain of a ship. Some people seem to be really "into" who the captain is and know a lot about the different ones. Maybe it's me, but the only thing I care about is his/her safety record. I've been on about 7 cruises and couldn't tell you who the captain was before, during or after.

Is this something that most people know/care about? If so, why?

I can only say that it might not always make huge difference BUT based on our experience it really can make a difference in the crew attitude. I had two cruises pretty close together on different ships and it was night and day difference the way the crew behaved...that might not have been totally from the captain's influence, but from talking to crew members I really got the impression that it did make a difference.

It amazes me when I read posts about the Captain of a ship. Some people seem to be really "into" who the captain is and know a lot about the different ones. Maybe it's me, but the only thing I care about is his/her safety record. I've been on about 7 cruises and couldn't tell you who the captain was before, during or after.

The same train of thought can easily apply to the cruise director. Currently on day 17 aboard and I don't think I've even seen him or her. :D

I guess a good captain can influence the staff, but I concur, it's really, really not important in the grand scheme of things.

If the captain does not matter to you, why fret about it? Some captains are more personable and funnier than others. Just like some people are more personable and funnier than others. They all have excellent safety records or they would not be working for Celebrity. For me, it just enhances the cruise experience if the captain is out and about and engaging with the passengers.

If the captain does not matter to you, why fret about it? Some captains are more personable and funnier than others. Just like some people are more personable and funnier than others. They all have excellent safety records or they would not be working for Celebrity. For me, it just enhances the cruise experience if the captain is out and about and engaging with the passengers.

Linda- good comment. I agree.

Linda: could not have said it any better. Thanks for letting the CC Community members have a better understanding why some people do ask for this information.

There. Are some cruise lines where "officer engagement" is not particularly valued but on Celebrity there is a pride taken when officers are out and about interacting with passengers. We often see Captains and other senior staff having coffee from Cafe al Bachio and passengers chat with them. It does speak to the overall ambiance of the cruise. We never see this on Princess, could not tell you the names of any of their Captains, but know and remember many of the Captains on Celebrity.

The only captain I remember clearly was Captain Kate, for obvious reasons. And for negative reasons. I didn't like how she (jokingly) kept putting herself down because she was a woman, talking about how she couldn't remember which purse she had put the keys to the ship in, how she worked VERY HARD to get her position (didn't they all?)...while I knew they were self-deprecating jokes, she did herself a disservice. No man would speak about his career that way. Thankfully she quit it after the first few days, someone must have said something to her?

Mainly don't care but since we sailed with Costa' Captain Francesco Schettino the year prior to his major wreck (concordia) just like to know who they are for a quick search about their character/safety record. Usually find most to be friendly others to be very arrogant (Schettino). The attitude of the Capt can show in the actions of the crew members an I like a happy crew.

I’m with you. I also don’t understand what the draw is to the perk of having dinner with the officers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only captain I remember clearly was Captain Kate, for obvious reasons. And for negative reasons. I didn't like how she (jokingly) kept putting herself down because she was a woman, talking about how she couldn't remember which purse she had put the keys to the ship in, how she worked VERY HARD to get her position (didn't they all?)...while I knew they were self-deprecating jokes, she did herself a disservice. No man would speak about his career that way. Thankfully she quit it after the first few days, someone must have said something to her?

Isn't this the female captain that most people rave about and gush over??

As for me....captain doesn't make a difference. Is it nice if they are personal and friendly...sure. But doesn't do anything for me really.

Now if you want to talk cruise directors...they make a huge difference in my experiences after taking 10 cruises with Royal...interested to see how it goes with Celebrity.

Really?

Yes, not in all cases, but in some certainly. Many people are obsessed with status.

In a recent U.K. tV series (set on Princess) people were obsessing over been acknowledged as "the most travelled passenger"

On here we've seen people going in about Zenith Pins, starting posts with "I'm an Elite / Zenith - when this has no relevance to the post.

Edited by DYKWIA