12 cruise passengers killed in Mexico bus crash - Celebrity Equinox and RCCL pax

WonderMan3

Terrible....I was on a cruise when a cpl passengers died on an excursion in Jamaica. The mood on the ship that evening was so somber, it was terrible.

Cant imagine that many people dead/injured affecting 2 cruise ships and their families left onboard and home.

REFORM / Drafting

Mexico City (December 19, 2017) .-

On the bus, 31 passengers were traveling in addition to the driver, who fled the scene.

The 20 wounded received first aid in the place and later some of them were transferred to hospitals of Bacalar and Chetumal.

The driver fled the scene . . . oh mercy! I can't begin to imagine the moods on both ships for the rest of the cruise. So very sad.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I just heard about this tragic accident.

Prayers to all the families of those who died.

Prayers for the other passengers to get well soon.

So sad. It is the chances we take when we take tours in third world countries. Who checks out these companies? Not trying to be a big shot as I do the same thing but it gives me some food for thought for the next time.

I'm onboard Equinox now. There have been no announcements. Our room faces the RCL ship and I heard their captain make announcement about an hour ago. All fatalities were from Royal. It sounds like just a few passengers were from Equinox. (Based on news reports. As soon as I heard RCCL announcement , I googled) . I could have missed an announcement from our captain, but haven't heard anything

So sad. It is the chances we take when we take tours in third world countries. Who checks out these companies? Not trying to be a big shot as I do the same thing but it gives me some food for thought for the next time.

Very very sad event for all involved.

If it's a cruise line excursion I'm sure there has been much investigation of the reliability of the tour company involved.

As an aside, I think our neighbors in Mexico would not consider themselves a third world country. There are many places in Mexico which are a lot older than any place in the U.S from much older civilizations. Which is neither here nor there. Just saying.

Ah, captain just spoke. He did NOT say all fatalities were from RCCL-- which is what their announcement said. Maybe status is still unknown. They've announced they are giving all guest internet access credit to get in touch with family

Thanks for letting us know what's going on your ship! This is so very sad :(

Were these unfortunate people on an excursion sponsored by Celebrity and Royal? I was not aware the two lines shared excursions. I have never been on one with Royal passengers. Does anyone know?

We were on a HAL cruise several years ago in Puerto Vallarata. Since there were only 9 of us who booked an excursion to Neuvo Vallarata, we were put on the same bus as RCI passengers.

We learned that this happens once in a while in Mexico. We have never had that happen in any other country -- not even in Europe or South America.

I am also currently on Equinox and have learned most of the info on the internet. We were just told there was a crash with injuries and fatalities. I am sick to my stomach thinking of the poor people involved.

I'm on Serenade and they told us hrs ago. We had 4 passengers injured. I heard your/Celebrity announcement later also, since my balcony is facing your ship. Think they waited to tell you because of Celebrity fatalities. So sad, passengers and their families are in my prayers...