Oasis Dress Attire for Dinner - NEED HELP

Tammytam

This is our first cruise on RC and after looking at the formal nights, I'm a lil scared. We are used to casual dining. Can someone please tell me the real deal on formal night dining............actually specialty restaurant dining as well. Will my husband HAVE to wear a jacket and tie? And will I HAVE to wear a dress?

Please share what we can get away with................we dress up all week at work and really prefer to not dress fancy but don't want to miss eating in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Suggested attire is just that...a suggestion and nothing is enforced. Nice casual dress will be fine in MDR and specialty restaurants any night including formal. Jackets and ties are not required for men and dresses are not required for women. Not a big deal at all...relax and enjoy your vacation.

These threads usually invite strong opinions. Please don't take offense to what may be coming. Tux not necessary but also don't come in swimwear.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

This is our first cruise on RC and after looking at the formal nights, I'm a lil scared. We are used to casual dining. Can someone please tell me the real deal on formal night dining............actually specialty restaurant dining as well. Will my husband HAVE to wear a jacket and tie? And will I HAVE to wear a dress?

Please share what we can get away with................we dress up all week at work and really prefer to not dress fancy but don't want to miss eating in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Smart casual is suggested at Specialty restaurants every night. However, since dress suggestions are not enforced, people wear whatever they want, so you will see the full range of attire. You won't miss anything no matter how you dress.

Thanks in advance.

What do you want to wear?

I used to tell people that asked is that at formal night you would wear wedding clothes. Most other nights wear church clothes.

Some still want to dress like they are going to play horseshoes no matter what night

That said, you will find better dressed people on Oasis class ships. There a higher percentage of foreigners and they usually dress like they should or better

Cruise lines used to enforce the dress code...but as all things change...they no longer do that.

I have seen attire in the form of full cocktail dresses and tuxes...to something I would not even be seen in Walmart wearing during formal nights. :o

Wear whatever you feel comfortable...and don't stress over it. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Capris on women on all but "formal" nights will be the majority. Slacks and top are fine any night. Men should wear collared shirts to dinner (golf/polo is fine).

Capris? I hardly ever see them other than on some people lounging around the pool. Men? I'd say "real" shirts, not golf/polo--though there will be some.

Capris? I hardly ever see them other than on some people lounging around the pool. Men? I'd say "real" shirts, not golf/polo--though there will be some.

You don't know what capris are if you think they are worn to the pool

LOL, what is a "real" shirt. A great number of men wear golf shirts on casual night.

Please share what we can get away with...

Don't aim to be the bottom of the barrel. Putting on a jacket and a dress takes little effort, and taking some care with your dinner attire makes the evening special. How often do you have an opportunity to dress up for one another, to show each other your best? Dress up a little -- and take some pictures!

The majority of women wear capris, you say???

I think not. :o

No. Capris make tall, willowy model-types look short and squatty -- so what do they do to the rest of us? No, not capris. Ever.

Just off the Oasis (last Sunday), the dress was from very dressy to very casual. Capris in the dining room, absolutely - lots. On formal night my husband wore a pair of slacks and golf shirt and fit in fine. He also wore this exact outfit to Chops and was perfectly fine. You’ll see it run the full spectrum. I did see folks in nice shorts and shirts in the dining room as well. Overall, I didn’t see anyone that looked out of place in any of their outfits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The advice from folks who say - wear whatever YOU are comfortable with - seems accurate. We were on Oasis in October, dining in Chops, on a formal night and had a large table near us that was dominated by a loud-mouthed 40-ish “gentleman” who was wearing flip-flops, gym shorts, a tee-shirt, and a baseball cap. He seemed completely comfortable in his attire and not the least bit concerned that EVERYONE else was a bit more “dressed up”. The staff at Chops seemed to care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That also puts my wife in the category of "minority that never does".

LOL! :D

I would sure rather see capris than what some women wear...those "almost there" short-shorts (and have no business wearing them ;p) or those so called designer torn up jeans. Yuck...but...to each their own. :cool:

There is no dress code anymore. I don't even know why RCI bothers.

Two "formal" nights on Liberty, and many men dressed like they were about to mow the lawn. On non-formal nights, they looked worse.

Dress code is dead.

Not dead...still "suggested" on the daily cruise compass but never enforced any longer.

And when I was growing up in the long past "dark ages" ;p They were called "peddle pushers". :cool:

Pedal pushers.

The shorter-than-ankle length meant that they would not get caught in the bike chain when one was pedaling a bike.

Pedal pushers.

The shorter-than-ankle length meant that they would not get caught in the bike chain when one was pedaling a bike.

That's the ones!! And I am wearing a pair right now...they don't get caught in my tall Aircast boot I am stuck wearing for six weeks on my broken left foot. :o:eek::cool: