Reason's for HAL' deep discounts in Carribbean

EDLOS

I will jump in here and support Primrose. HAL, for some strange reason, seems to cut their port times shorter then other lines. Perhaps its just bad planning,,,,or perhaps its so they can cruise at slower speeds and save fuel (and money). But its just one more issue that dissuades folks from booking HAL in the Caribbean. I do not understand 7 - 1 in Colombia.... Most things do not even open until 9 and folks have to be back aboard by 12:30. On our most recent cruise (Reflection 2 weeks ago) we were in that port from 8-5....which is what most folks need and want. I do not have an issue with Curacao on Sunday since ships have to be somewhere on a Sunday. And for many of us, Curacao is an island about some beaches, snorkel spots, etc. But consider Half Moon Cay....leaving in the middle of the afternoon (essentially a half day) and then not arriving at Aruba until 1 (less then half a day left) which really limits those who want to have a beach day. Bottom line is that its an awful itinerary which you will not find on many other lines.

But this thread is about why HAL has to charge much less money (then its competition) for Caribbean cruises...and this particular itinerary is one good reason. When I go to Aruba or Cartegena,..I expect a full port day. Anything less really limits our activities (we are sun, sand, and water people).

HAL does not seem to understand that a majority of Caribbean cruisers go for the sun and sand...which means they need a full day in ports. And even if you want to just go explore a city (such as Cartegena) you would need more time to simply do some shopping, browsing, and enjoy a nice lunch off the ship. When we did our Westerdam cruise in the Caribbean, we were on a similar itinerary as a RCI ship (for nearly a week). The RCI ship would arrive at nearly every port 1-2 hours before us...and we would leave 1-2 hours before the RCI vessel. HAL was leaving ports at 3pm....when all the other ships stayed until 5 or 5:30. The only possible reason was to keep cruising speeds down (to save fuel and money). When I am on a beach, there is no way I want to leave the beach at 1 or 1:30 to get back to my ship.

Hank

You did look at the days of the week for your cruise and check out in advance what was open on Sundays, right?

I don't get Curacao, it's a lovely spot and we have been there on Sundays - restaurants are open, etc. Or was shopping your big priority :confused:

Costa Rica cancelled is no one's fault. that's a weather thing, docking issue or just plain bad luck.

Sorry you were so unhappy and hard to please. It behooves each of us to see what days we are in ports and what's available. Research is not that hard to do.

once again you get your exercize jumping to conclusions.

Curacao's shopping is not what i was referring to as being closed on Sunday, couldnt care less. I did care that several places i wanted to visit were closed. Most importantly the two old synagogues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will try to stop laughing at the Lawrence Welk comments (what ever happened to Myron Floren) and comment about some previous comments. The current situation in the Caribbean (due to the hurricanes) has little to do with HAL's bargain basement pricing. HAL has had bargain basement Caribbean pricing for many years. In fact, when we cruised 14 days on the Westerdam a few years ago, a balcony cabin cost us more than 1/3 less than a similar cabin on Celebrity (which is why we tried HAL).

But getting back to Lawrence Welk, perhaps that does a lot to sum up HAL and many of its passengers. Trust me that you will not find any Lawrence Welk music (or many fans) on RCI, Norwegian, MSC, etc. I am a senior who was forced to watch Lawrence Welk (as a child). Now, even as a senior, I much prefer Pink Floyd, the Eagles, Adele, etc. Listening to the old HAL Cats (or other pick up bands used on HAL) play "In the Mood" without any woodwinds or horns is very sad. Glen Miller must be rolling over in his grave when he hears his music played with a HAL truncated band that has 2 keyboards, 2 guitars, and a drummer. Ouch! I actually once told a HAL Cat member that they should simply call their music "Roller Skating Music" and he truly roared with laughter and admitted it was true. But he also told me that "its a living" and they work with what they have.

For many years we would listen to HAL production shows where they played music from shows like South Pacific, Oklahoma, Pal Joey, etc....all of which were big shows in the 50s. And then we would go on other cruise lines where we heard production shows using music from Frank Wildhorn (Jeckyl and Hyde, Scarlet Pimpernel), newer Andrew Lloyd Weber shows, Les Mis, Elton John, etc. Lets face it, HAL works hard to keep their fans....most of whom are collecting Social Security (I am in that crowd). But this formula just does not work for most Caribbean cruisers. I just returned from 14 days in the Caribbean on the Celebrity Reflection. On the pool deck, some afternoons, we had a hard rock band (they were fabulous). Other days we had Valentina and Peter, and amazing Ukrainian duo who could easily handle Adele, John Cale, John Lennon, Colbie Cailat, etc.....music which would seldom be heard on HAL. Even the classical duo (a Spanish ladies due with Violin and Cello) did mostly modern music in a lounge (where folks would actually have the nerve to talk). On HAL they would have stuck them in a quiet lounge where nobody dares to speak....but falling asleep is allowed.

IMHO HAL needs a total make-over if they want to succeed in the Caribbean market and demand higher prices. And they would have to do it with their most modern ships (such as the Koningsdam) since most Caribbean cruisers want a balcony cabin without being forced to pay for a suite.

I will be very honest. As a 5 Star Mariner on HAL, we still like the line. But I would never, ever recommend anyone cruise on HAL in the Caribbean unless they had one foot (connected to a knee replacement) in a nursing home.

Hank

Lots of comic relief here. FYI, Sirius XM channel 4 is a seasonal Christmas music channel and played a lot of Lennon Sisters Christmas songs. Hadn’t thought about them in years.

Pal Joey? I’m rolling on the floor. But the royalties would be cheap, a few cents maybe. Royalties are much higher on newer music so you won’t hear it on HAL.

Funny, we are doing the exact itinerary on the Zuiderdam in a week. Port times are as follows:

Half Moon Cay: 8 AM -2:30 PM

Aruba 1 PM - 11 PM

Curacao 8 AM - 4 PM

Panama Canal/ Gatum Lake/ Colon From past experience, the day will start somewhere around 5:30 AM and we leave Colon at 8 PM

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 6:30 AM - 4 PM

Yeah, terrible....:confused:

i guess you werent going ti Cartagena, therefore it was not the same cruise and itinarary was obviously different

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked an 11 night on the Koningsdam yesterday Was a great price $1,349- single in an inside room I see that there are many vacant cabins so I guess the price will fall further but I am happy with the price I paid and with luck the upgrade Fairy may call!!

I'm also a solo cruiser and I think you got a great deal. I'm going to have to go now and look at some sailings:D

So I just found a cruise on princess fior March that is about a thousand less than one I am looking at on hal. So much for hal having the bargain prices. Both are past final payment.

Exactly... I booked a GS on Adventure OTS for over $1000 less than NS on Oosterdam.....similar itinerary, same week.

So I just found a cruise on princess fior March that is about a thousand less than one I am looking at on hal. So much for hal having the bargain prices. Both are past final payment.

They are out there. Oceania having tough time selling cabins. Cruise two months out to Caribbean is only 60% sold. Just got email today from Internet TA discounting cabins on this cruise by 40%.

Exactly... I booked a GS on Adventure OTS for over $1000 less than NS on Oosterdam.....similar itinerary, same week.

They are out there. Oceania having tough time selling cabins. Cruise two months out to Caribbean is only 60% sold. Just got email today from Internet TA discounting cabins on this cruise by 40%.

Interesting. From the sound of this thread it sounded like Hal was the only one discounting and unable to fill their ships.

Why do you thinnk Oceania is havnig trouble selling cabins? Those HAL cruisers who book su ites pay high prices, higher than many on Ocenaia so it isn't just money that is making

Oceania struggle to sell cabins. Any idea why?

Why do you thinnk Oceania is havnig trouble selling cabins? Those HAL cruisers who book su ites pay high prices, higher than many on Ocenaia so it isn't just money that is making

Oceania struggle to sell cabins. Any idea why?

As someone posted, too many ships going to same ports every year. We sail Oceania every year for past 5 years on a 10 day Caribbean cruise in Feb/Mar. Always get discount. This year price for standard cabin with balcony $419 per day per person. Got same cabin for $199 per day.

As someone posted, too many ships going to same ports every year. We sail Oceania every year for past 5 years on a 10 day Caribbean cruise in Feb/Mar. Always get discount. This year price for standard cabin with balcony $419 per day per person. Got same cabin for $199 per day.

Sounds good. "Always get discount": way to go!

You mstt like their ships and product or would not repeatedly book.

Like only the two larger ships with 1200 passengers. Cabins very nice.

Food is best especially at their Specialty Restaurants. Everyday I can have lobster, crab legs, filets, lamb chops and sometimes a partridge in a pear tree :D.

Like only the two larger ships with 1200 passengers. Cabins very nice.

Food is best especially at their Specialty Restaurants. Everyday I can have lobster, crab legs, filets, lamb chops and sometimes a partridge in a pear tree :D.

Just to be clear for the board, the lobster is Caribbean (soft) and usually rubber. ;). enjoy all of it and your partidge in a pear tree Bob :)

Just to be clear for the board, the lobster is Caribbean (soft) and usually rubber. ;). enjoy all of it and your partidge in a pear tree Bob :)

Just to be clear for the board, if the lobster does not have the "Goodyear" label on the shell it is ok :eek:. Actually for the record Whole Maine Lobster is served nightly at the Polo Grill on Oceania; and at least one night in the MDR.

Just to be clear for the board, if the lobster does not have the "Goodyear" label on the shell it is ok :eek:. Actually for the record Whole Maine Lobster is served nightly at the Polo Grill on Oceania; and at least one night in the MDR.

That was my understanding also. From the Polo Dinner menu:

Whole Maine Lobster Steamed

with Drawn Butter or Gratinated with

Breadcrumbs, Olive Oil, Garlic and Parsley

That was my understanding also. From the Polo Dinner menu:

Whole Maine Lobster Steamed

with Drawn Butter or Gratinated with

Breadcrumbs, Olive Oil, Garlic and Parsley

How likely are you to be able to get a reservation in Polo every night, though?

When everyone on board is entitled to one reservation, and some passengers two reservations, there aren't a lot of seats left for every night.

I believe you can get it in their equivalent of the Lido, though.

How likely are you to be able to get a reservation in Polo every night, though?

When everyone on board is entitled to one reservation, and some passengers two reservations, there aren't a lot of seats left for every night.

I believe you can get it in their equivalent of the Lido, though.

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't want to eat it every night. For me it wouldn't be very special then.

I was just agreeing with the post that stated that there was lobster available on Oceania that wasn't Caribbean. The things that Redneckbob listed are in fact available everyday in the different specialty restaurants. But I personally wouldn't want any of them every day.

We have done two cruises on Oceania and have two more booked. We have found the food to be quite good. As for getting extra nights in specialty restaurants, we have not found that to be a problem once on board.

We find they offer a good product and certainly feel we get our money’s worth.

We have one HAL cruise booked on the Zuiderdam and hope it is a better experience than our Rotterdam cruise last year.

And just to be clear - I thought your were talking about the Grill where it is offered nightly.

As to Polo, don't even get me started - it was the WORST meal we have had on any ship anywhere. Just our experience - I know we were unlucky.

I do recommend Jacques though.