Which style cabin do you prefer and why.

OceanTraveller4ever

A Lanai cabin is our preference on the ships where they exist. We like the ability to step out on deck without the heavy price of a balcony. It is a good compromise between the various flavors of "suite" and the ocean view or interior categories. We have found that the patio doors provide excellent privacy since it is pretty much impossible to see in, while still giving a very good view out. The reserved lounge chairs on the promenade deck are worthwhile, and we have found that other passengers respect the "reserved" status. In addition, the mid-ships (both up/down and fore/aft) position makes access to the rest of the public spaces quite convenient.

Overall, a Lanai is a very good compromise, at least for us.

Super! We've booked our first lanai for our 21-day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam in 2019.

We love aft balcony cabins, and have booked them whenever available. We spend a lot of time on the balcony. We also like sleeping with the curtains open, but we'll be careful with that in our lanai cabin. ;)

While Neptunes are our favorite, the Signature represents the best "value" on HAL, especially once you reach 4 Star and get several of the Neptune Perks anyway. The Signatures are not that much smaller than the Neptunes and are more than large enough for the two of us.

We normally book a Signature and then watch for a good "upsell" to a Neptune (seems to happen alot on the Vista ships).

I would like to use this strategy, but I'm thinking the first time we do it, we wouldn't get an upsell offer. We are so spoiled that we just book Neptunes from the get-go. :D

Cost is a factor for me as well, but have sailed in an inside, ocean view, balcony and Neptune Suite. I loved every cabin, but depending on the cost, I would go with ocean view or inside if it was that or stay home. I just love being on the ocean.️🛳🛳

I've sailed in everything from an inside to a Neptune Suite. More often in the low end cabins than the high end. I usually sail solo, so price is the biggest factor for me. Only once did I experience claustrophobia in an interior cabin, and that was in a 125 sq. ft. tuna can on the Noordam. :(

What I love about the Neptune Suites:

• the extra room
  • the bigger bathroom
  • breakfast in the Pinnacle
  • the Neptune Lounge
  • the bigger veranda

What I like about the interior cabins:

• sleeping in total darkness
  • locations tend to be on decks with few public areas, thus low foot traffic
  • the price
  • being on a cruise ship (for the right price I would sleep in a sleeping bag in one of the lifeboats :D )

Roz

I might actually do that-though I'd have to worry about sea air and salt spray-guess I just pack everything in ziploc bags:D

I am an inside fan.. last time I had a inside on the main deck and it was very spacious-not claustrophobic at all.

I prefer the Vista Suite I had a couple of times on the Prinsendam, as I love spending time on my little porch.

But most of my cruises are booked in inside cabins. Since I am solo, and on off the beaten path itineraries, I usually have to pay double, even for those insides. It adds up.

By paying for the lowest class of cabin I have been able to take many more cruises than I would have, had I indulged in even outsides, let alone balcony and suite cabins. Budgeting has been key to sailing as many days as I have been able to. I feel fortunate for that.

I am not picky. Any category of cabin that allows me to cruise my itinerary of choice is fine with me. I cruise to travel and visit new places, not particularly for relaxation -- although it's a nice side benefit of cruising...

I travel solo and while I can't (yet) take long cruises, I hope to do so once I retire. But thanks to a generous amount of PTO, I still manage to take 3 decent vacations a year, most in Europe. I'd much rather do three cruises in an inside cabin than two in a balcony. ;)

We started out in a inside and that didn't work for us. I am only borderline social and found I really need a private outdoor space to offset the closeness of traveling with 1,2 or 3 thousand other people. We are fine in a regular balcony cabin but enjoyed the extra space of the signature suite on our last cruise so we booked that for our next cruise. We will have our grandson with us on this cruise and I think the extra space will be a bonus with 3 people!

When on a HAL ship, our first cruise was in a Neptune but, like DaveOKC, we now understand that the Signatures are the better value. We can buy unlimited laundry and eat several times in the Pinnacle and still not approach the Neptune cost. And, of course, we are always open to that perfectly priced upsell.

Like other folks, we have some claustrophobia and must have a balcony. And we, too, enjoy a good book and beverage in the sea air as well as just being out there watching the ocean go by.

Happy New Year!

Super! We've booked our first lanai for our 21-day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam in 2019.

We love aft balcony cabins, and have booked them whenever available. We spend a lot of time on the balcony. We also like sleeping with the curtains open, but we'll be careful with that in our lanai cabin. ;)

Check for yourself, of course, but you will probably find that the only way outsiders can see in is if it is dark outside, fully lit inside, and the outsider stands right at the window and shields eyes while peering in. If any outsider is that interested in my "super-ripped extra-buff" old-timer's body, I welcome the attention. :cool::evilsmile::D

Check for yourself, of course, but you will probably find that the only way outsiders can see in is if it is dark outside, fully lit inside, and the outsider stands right at the window and shields eyes while peering in. If any outsider is that interested in my "super-ripped extra-buff" old-timer's body, I welcome the attention. :cool::evilsmile::D

Have to agree with you on that Arnie. If someone wants to do all that to see my 70 year old body, enjoy. Afraid they might die laughing at my “super ripped extra buff” body. :eek:

Maury

What do you do on the S & R ships, Dave? or do you stick with Vista and above if you don't mind me asking?

We try to stay with the Vista and above ships. On the smaller ones we have booked a Vista (and hoped for an upsell) or just plain booked a Neptune. Try to keep the Vista cabins to short cruises.

I would like to use this strategy, but I'm thinking the first time we do it, we wouldn't get an upsell offer. We are so spoiled that we just book Neptunes from the get-go. :D

Does not matter if it is your first time on HAL or not (getting an upsell). It really depends on how full the ship is. We tend to book during slower times, thus better chance at upsells. Also, we work closely with our HAL PCC on trying to get an upsell and this seems to help.

Just wondering why folks keep to one category, or choose to change around. Cost is always a factor, but so are many other variants.

Primarily it's cost. But I've got to have natural light, so oceanview is what we aim for. Only had one inside room in all our cruises. Mostly 50/50 on oceanview/verandah rooms.

Our preference is a Signature Suite but depending on the cost of an Itinerary we book a Balcony. We like the Neptunes but don’t want to spend the money on them unless we get get a good Upsell since we have the 5 Star Perks.