Favorite dish in Murano

ISABELLA

Veal was outstanding. Mushroom soup, scallops, pear with Gorgonzola, Dover sole, and steak Diane are exceptional. Crepes or soufflé for dessert. My husband loves the cheese cart.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

steak Diane are exceptional.

We asked about steak Diane on Silhouette last week and were told they didn't offer it - it's not on the menu, but I had heard about it here so I thought I would ask. I wonder if it's something only specific ships/chefs will prepare? Unless it's just another name for Chateaubriand for two, which is on the menu?

Anyway, we dined in Murano almost every night last week and our favorite mains were the lobster, veal and venison, although I thoroughly enjoyed the duck, lamb and loup de mer as well. I loved the salmon parfait appetizer as well, and DH was partial to the risotto (although I must say it was inconsistent - some nights it was on point in texture and others, not so much).

I love the Scallop Wellington appetizer as well as the crab parfait. The Lobster Murano is my first choice for entrée followed at a close second by the Chateaubriand for two. (Several times DH has wanted the Chateaubriand when my heart was set on the Lobster and they made it for just him.) As said by others, the lamb and duck are also superb. My favorite dessert is the Crepes Ballon Rouge, but also love the Grand Marnier Souffle.

No, the steak Diane is not on the menu, but sometimes, depending on the ship, chef, how busy they are and how well you get to know the maître d, and how charmingly you ask (a day ahead) it may happen.

No, the steak Diane is not on the menu, but sometimes, depending on the ship, chef, how busy they are and how well you get to know the maître d, and how charmingly you ask (a day ahead) it may happen.

Good to know! How does it differ from the Chateaubriand? Do you know what cut of steak they use for it? Google indicates that Steak Diane is usually a creamy sauce with some dijon mustard, often flambeed with cognac, which sounds very similar to the lobster preparation. I haven't had the Chateaubriand but from what I've seen it looks like it's a simpler sauce, with pan juices only? We haven't ordered it because we're not big fans of lean cuts like filet, but if the Steak Diane is a filet with a cream sauce I could probably get on board with that! ;)

steak diane is cooked at the table with a sauce that would make the sole of your shoe taste wonderful. It is no longer on the menu, but if you request a day in advance, the will sometimes agree to make it. (they need a day's notice to get provisions to cut the meat for steak diane). Obviously, you have a better chance if the maitre d' knows how to make it....it's been off the menu for a number of years now.

Although much to much to eat, I have been served the chateaubriand for 2...just for me. Again, it was probably luck....I just asked if they possibly had chateaubriand for one because my wife is not a meat eater....and they surprised me.

The mushroom soup is outstanding. I may be the only person on the planet that doesn't like the murano lobster....the sauce is just too heavy and the lobster is warm water lobster tail, not the wonderful Maine Lobster's that I get at home. I think everyone should try it once...just to watch them make it at the table.

Don't forget the cheese course.....

We asked about steak Diane on Silhouette last week and were told they didn't offer it - it's not on the menu, but I had heard about it here so I thought I would ask. I wonder if it's something only specific ships/chefs will prepare? Unless it's just another name for Chateaubriand for two, which is on the menu?

Anyway, we dined in Murano almost every night last week and our favorite mains were the lobster, veal and venison, although I thoroughly enjoyed the duck, lamb and loup de mer as well. I loved the salmon parfait appetizer as well, and DH was partial to the risotto (although I must say it was inconsistent - some nights it was on point in texture and others, not so much).

I enjoyed Dover Sole before, but on upcoming cruise would like to try something else.

Is lamb prepared like rack of lamb or something different?

And how about duck?

steak diane is cooked at the table with a sauce that would make the sole of your shoe taste wonderful. It is no longer on the menu, but if you request a day in advance, the will sometimes agree to make it. (they need a day's notice to get provisions to cut the meat for steak diane). Obviously, you have a better chance if the maitre d' knows how to make it....it's been off the menu for a number of years now.

Although much to much to eat, I have been served the chateaubriand for 2...just for me. Again, it was probably luck....I just asked if they possibly had chateaubriand for one because my wife is not a meat eater....and they surprised me.

The mushroom soup is outstanding. I may be the only person on the planet that doesn't like the murano lobster....the sauce is just too heavy and the lobster is warm water lobster tail, not the wonderful Maine Lobster's that I get at home. I think everyone should try it once...just to watch them make it at the table.

Don't forget the cheese course.....

Yes, they told us that if just one of us wanted the Chateaubriand, they would make it for one, although I'm guessing they would simply give you both portions. I ordered appetizer or half portions of things a couple of times this cruise and they served me full portions each time, with a smile and a "you don't have to finish it all!" AS IF. :D

I agree with you that the sauce on the lobster is heavy, but IMO it complements the gentle sweetness of warm-water lobster very well. I also order it with just vegetables instead of mashed potatoes, which cuts down vastly on the overall heaviness. Steamed broccoli dipped in that sauce is pretty terrific!

I enjoyed Dover Sole before, but on upcoming cruise would like to try something else.

Is lamb prepared like rack of lamb or something different?

And how about duck?

The lamb is rack of lamb, two double chops, with an herb crust and topped with a lovely jus. We had it several times this cruise and it was always excellent. FYI, they use mustard to coat the lamb so that the herbs will stick, and my husband, who is not a mustard lover, found it just a bit strong one night. Our waiter mentioned that they are happy to prepare it without the mustard and herb coating, so if you prefer it naked, just ask.

The duck is a seared breast and a tender braised leg, served with a light sauce atop a slice of herbed brioche "french toast" (that was almost like a savory bread custard). It was wonderful this cruise. We had had it on our last cruise and weren't at all impressed (the sauce was syrupy sweet and overpowered the meat), so we waited to order it this time until we'd had our fill of our favorites, and then were sorry we didn't have time to order it again!

Yes, they told us that if just one of us wanted the Chateaubriand, they would make it for one, although I'm guessing they would simply give you both portions.

i order the Chateaubriand for one and I have received a portion for one person. Not a problem.

I have ordered the lobster just for the table side performance.

Good to know! How does it differ from the Chateaubriand? Do you know what cut of steak they use for it? Google indicates that Steak Diane is usually a creamy sauce with some dijon mustard, often flambeed with cognac, which sounds very similar to the lobster preparation. I haven't had the Chateaubriand but from what I've seen it looks like it's a simpler sauce, with pan juices only? We haven't ordered it because we're not big fans of lean cuts like filet, but if the Steak Diane is a filet with a cream sauce I could probably get on board with that! ;)

Chateaubriand sauce is prepared with white wine, (although I've seen some recipies with cognac) shallots, demi-glace, butter, tarragon and lemon juice, mushrooms and is reduced and flambéed . The meat is cut from the thickest part of the tenderloin.

Steak Diane is made with beef tenderloins pounded to 3/4" thickness, butter, shallots, garlic, mushrooms, Cognac or brandy, Dijon mustard, heavy cream, demi-glace, Worcestershire sauce

Edited by Luvcrusn
additions

Dover Sole, and all of their soups.:hearteyes:
Mine too. DW had something first night there as I enjoyed Dover Sole. We tried Murano's again and DW tried the Dover sole and I had it again.

Would like to try Chateaubriand (it also takes 2 and DW avoids red meat most of the time), but Dover sole was hard to pass up and is hard to pass up knowing it may be our only time there.

On our last cruise we were a group of six, my sister and I ordered the

Chateaubriand for two between us, it was great. We ate there again a few days later and I asked if I could have the same just for myself ( I'm a big meat eater ) and they said that would not be a problem, again great. Maybe this is why I gained 5 lbs this cruise I guess. :)