CocoCay Changes Coming

Booo. It was a quiet, quaint private island paradise. Now it’s going to be Disney world.

This sucks.

Look on the bright side, with more attractions added that should take some of the children and people out of the beach area. There will still be that area for you to relax and unwind though at Chill Island:

"Miles away from ordinary, guests will find the ultimate beach escape on Chill Island. Vacationers can expect pristine, crystal-clear tropical waters and white powder-like sand, making for the perfect day at the beach."

I was originally going to say that I'm not a fan, but thinking back to my couple times that I have been there, I remember a small inflatable looking water slide and some other less than stellar attractions. I think this is a revitalization and expansion of existing offerings.

Now I do think they might have gone a bit big, but as they are in competition to make money, I can't blame them. And one day when I have a family, I would actually like the location as it seems like a naturally self contained area.

I hope they leave the barefoot beach area alone - that sand is amazingly soft.

Some more renderings.

Arrival Plaza: Colorful and dynamic Arrivals Plaza, visible to guests as soon as they step ashore Perfect Day at CocoCay. Vacationers will jam out to the welcome of live music or brave a zip line ride soaring across the harbor

low_1520894159_RCI-CocoCay-Arrivals.jpg

Coco Beach Club: At the exclusive Coco Beach Club, guests will experience anupscale take on the island’s authentic Caribbean vibe. The first and only overwater cabanas in The Bahamas will offer discerning guests a new level of laid-back luxury.

low_1520894142_RCI-CocoCay-CocoBeachClub-RET.jpg

low_1520894138_RCI-CocoCay-CocoBeachClubEntrance.jpg

Splashaway Bay: Royal Caribbean’s largest Splashaway Bay, gives kids even more buckets of fun with added water play areas like fountains, pools, sprinklers, geysers, water cannons and whirlpools – plus five waterslides and two massive drench buckets.

low_1520894105_RCI-CocoCay-SplashAwayBay.jpg

Edited by CruiserMiami
Space formatting.

Does anyone know when this will be completed?

I am not sure how I feel about it. I would have liked some changes or updates, but this

seem overwhelming to me.

My first thought was most everything involves an extra charge. I would hope that lunch place with burgers and salads isn't a for fee place.

Wow, very interesting to see the whole overhaul! I always think of Coco Cay as a relaxing and chill place where we snorkel, float around the water and have a great beach day together. The vibe definitely seems different now. Coco Cay has always been one of our favorite beach days we reminisce about.

Disappointed that Coco Beach Club will not be completed until 11- 2019 and we sail on Mariner in 5-2019. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8498

But maybe the cabanas on Chill Island (under Beach Escape) will be ready.

Our grandsons would love all the new attractions and a 4 night Mariner would be great for them.

We have been going there for almost 20 years. It started out like Gilligan's island. It keeps developing. I was starting to worry that they were not making enough money there.

The Island has been on our itinerary 4 times but each time we've missed it due to rough seas which prevented tendering. The fact they've invested money in a pier and dredged it out for Oasis class ships makes me believe they weren't making enough stopping there... but boy they plan to now.

As released by Royal Caribbean Press:

New Global Private Island Collection Debuts at CocoCay, Bahamas in 2019

A cruise vacation is much more than the ship itself. In one of the company’s most ambitious projects yet, Royal Caribbean is changing what it means to thrill and chill on vacation with the unveiling of its new Perfect Day Island Collection, a series of unrivaled and exclusive private island destinations around the world.

The first in the collection, Perfect Day at CocoCay, is a $200 million transformation of the cruise line’s existing private island in The Bahamas that will deliver the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean.

Highlights include:

• Thrill Waterpark, featuring two brag-worthy water towers with 13 slides – the most slides found in any waterpark in the Caribbean – will include the 135-foot-tall Daredevil’s Peak, the tallest waterslide in North America. In addition, the waterpark will feature the Caribbean’s largest wave pool and a kid-friendly obstacle course pool.
  • Oasis Lagoon, the Caribbean’s largest freshwater pool, with a swim-up bar and in-pool loungers.
  • A 1,600-foot zip line that crisscrosses the island at up to 50 feet high and features the only water landing in the Caribbean.
  • A helium balloon, dubbed Up, Up and Away, floats up to 450 feet above the ground providing for the highest vantage point in The Bahamas.
  • Two specially designed beaches – Chill Island for the ultimate beach escape, complete with pristine, crystal-clear tropical waters and white powder-like sand – and plentiful cabanas and daybeds for relaxation; and the action-packed South Beach with volleyball, beachside basketball, soccer, paddle boarding, glass-bottom kayaking and zorbing in an inflatable zorb ball.
  • The exclusive Coco Beach Club, will offer an upscale island experience that will feature the first overwater cabanas in The Bahamas.

Royal Caribbean ships departing from the U.S. states of New York, Maryland and Florida will call at Perfect Day at CocoCay, providing guests with vacation adventures like no other in the Caribbean. The island transformation will roll out in phases beginning September 2018 with the completion of a new pier, and by spring 2019 the majority of the island’s experiences will be open. Coco Beach Club, the final phase, is set to open November 2019. Additional Perfect Day Island Collection destinations in Asia, Australia and the Caribbean will be announced at a later date.

“It’s true that our ships are technological and engineering marvels in their own right and offer a multitude of unexpected experiences; but our destinations are an equally important part of the cruise vacation,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “We are introducing the Perfect Day Island Collection to deliver the most memorable vacation for adventure seekers on land and on board our ships. Once completed Perfect Day at CocoCay will be the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean.”

low_1520894112_RCI-CocoCay-HeroOverview2.jpg

low_1521048791_RCI-CocoCay-CGI29-GalleonShip-RET.jpg

low_1520895459_RCI-CocoCay-BalloonView.jpg

low_1520894093_RCI-CocoCay-OverWaterCabana1.jpg

low_1520894099_RCI-CocoCay-CaptainJack-RET.jpg

low_1520894118_RCI-CocoCay-FamilyWaterFeatures.jpg

Press Release by Royal Caribbean with more information and photos

BS to make a buck.... Who needs all this on a beautyful Bahamas island?

This is so stereotype US - everything has to be Plastik-Disneyland!

The Island has been on our itinerary 4 times but each time we've missed it due to rough seas which prevented tendering. The fact they've invested money in a pier and dredged it out for Oasis class ships makes me believe they weren't making enough stopping there... but boy they plan to now.

The best part of the whole project is the pier. There would be no way the could justify the expense of the overall project if they could not bring in the big ships and they need to have a dock. We have missed the stop a couple times because it was too rough to tender. The pier will be great just to not have to tender.

It will be interesting to see how the Beach Club works out. I saw it mentioned that there will be a fee in the range of $60-$100. I wonder if Suite Guest and Pinnacle will get it included like their access to Barefoot Beach at Labadee.

What are all of your thoughts on this transformation to CocoCay?

Personally, I like it. I loved the island the way it is, but I like these exciting changes as well. It's clear by looking at the map that there will still be beaches to relax away from the hustle and bustle. I like the choices, and now I will want to visit two or three times a year.

I know it says September 2018 for the pier... I hope it is in time for my Enchantment sailing.

I guess I am getting old because that is not my idea of the perfect beach day. Obviously this is a great opportunity to make additional revenue. I think I will stay on the ship and enjoy a relaxing and peaceful day.

BS to make a buck.... Who needs all this on a beautyful Bahamas island?

This is so stereotype US - everything has to be Plastik-Disneyland!

Whah, whah, whah. Disney and NCL are going to be making changes to their islands in the Bahamas as well. There’s still a beach area and NO one is making you pay to go to the kids water park area or indulge in anything else. Stay in the beach area on the island or stay on the ship as many do when they go there. There are other cruise lines that don’t have private islands, I am sure you can find your perfect world.

Also, it will be interesting to see if they are doing this in Australia and Asia if I read that paragraph correctly.

As released by Royal Caribbean Press:

New Global Private Island Collection Debuts at CocoCay, Bahamas in 2019

A cruise vacation is much more than the ship itself. In one of the company’s most ambitious projects yet, Royal Caribbean is changing what it means to thrill and chill on vacation with the unveiling of its new Perfect Day Island Collection, a series of unrivaled and exclusive private island destinations around the world.

The first in the collection, Perfect Day at CocoCay, is a $200 million transformation of the cruise line’s existing private island in The Bahamas that will deliver the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean.

Highlights include:

• Thrill Waterpark, featuring two brag-worthy water towers with 13 slides – the most slides found in any waterpark in the Caribbean – will include the 135-foot-tall Daredevil’s Peak, the tallest waterslide in North America. In addition, the waterpark will feature the Caribbean’s largest wave pool and a kid-friendly obstacle course pool.
  • Oasis Lagoon, the Caribbean’s largest freshwater pool, with a swim-up bar and in-pool loungers.
  • A 1,600-foot zip line that crisscrosses the island at up to 50 feet high and features the only water landing in the Caribbean.
  • A helium balloon, dubbed Up, Up and Away, floats up to 450 feet above the ground providing for the highest vantage point in The Bahamas.
  • Two specially designed beaches – Chill Island for the ultimate beach escape, complete with pristine, crystal-clear tropical waters and white powder-like sand – and plentiful cabanas and daybeds for relaxation; and the action-packed South Beach with volleyball, beachside basketball, soccer, paddle boarding, glass-bottom kayaking and zorbing in an inflatable zorb ball.
  • The exclusive Coco Beach Club, will offer an upscale island experience that will feature the first overwater cabanas in The Bahamas.

Royal Caribbean ships departing from the U.S. states of New York, Maryland and Florida will call at Perfect Day at CocoCay, providing guests with vacation adventures like no other in the Caribbean. The island transformation will roll out in phases beginning September 2018 with the completion of a new pier, and by spring 2019 the majority of the island’s experiences will be open. Coco Beach Club, the final phase, is set to open November 2019. Additional Perfect Day Island Collection destinations in Asia, Australia and the Caribbean will be announced at a later date.

“It’s true that our ships are technological and engineering marvels in their own right and offer a multitude of unexpected experiences; but our destinations are an equally important part of the cruise vacation,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “We are introducing the Perfect Day Island Collection to deliver the most memorable vacation for adventure seekers on land and on board our ships. Once completed Perfect Day at CocoCay will be the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean.”

low_1520894112_RCI-CocoCay-HeroOverview2.jpg

low_1521048791_RCI-CocoCay-CGI29-GalleonShip-RET.jpg

low_1520895459_RCI-CocoCay-BalloonView.jpg

low_1520894093_RCI-CocoCay-OverWaterCabana1.jpg

low_1520894099_RCI-CocoCay-CaptainJack-RET.jpg

low_1520894118_RCI-CocoCay-FamilyWaterFeatures.jpg

Press Release by Royal Caribbean with more information and photos

Thank you for posting this information and photos.

It will be interesting to see if the helium balloon ride is part of the final design. Royal tried the blimp ride on the Oasis only to have the blimp break loose and float away and never to be seen again. The pictures seem to show a gondola under the balloon and it is described to go several hundred feet in the air. Given the steady and sometimes high winds in the Bahamas, I wonder if this balloon will have the same fate as the Oasis blimp. Perhaps the gondola will also serve as a lifeboat.

Whah, whah, whah. Disney and NCL are going to be making changes to their islands in the Bahamas as well. There’s still a beach area and NO one is making you pay to go to the kids water park area or indulge in anything else. Stay in the beach area on the island or stay on the ship as many do when they go there. There are other cruise lines that don’t have private islands, I am sure you can find your perfect world.

Also, it will be interesting to see if they are doing this in Australia and Asia if I read that paragraph correctly.

Sure the other cruise lines might follow...does not make it any better....:rolleyes:

Blasting GUANTANAMEEEERAAAA all day to every coner of the beach is just so anoying but I guess that is what the American customers want...:eek:

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Looks very like Volcano Bay.....personally, I don't like it, I always looked forward to a relaxing island oasis, to ''relax'', now you will hear screaming from thrill rides, and a lot more people will get off the ship so it will be busier, don't see the market anywhere in these drawings, and of course there will probably be a fee for EVERYTHING.....