CocoCay Changes Coming

Now I'm worried our Symphony Sept 2019 will be disrupted with construction of all this stuff and I was so looking forward to getting back to my personal paradise!

Will they even take it off our itin....hope not! About the only thing I would approve of is the Beach Club with the over the water cabanas...now we'd pay for those! I'll be watching for those to come up on our Cruise Planner....Other stuff.....not so much. There goes our Robinson Caruso feel.....:loudcry::loudcry::eek:

On the other hand, no one holds a gun to your head to make you buy anything extra on a cruise. You don't have to eat in specialty restaurants or buy fancy drinks, or spa treatments, etc, etc. You can still just sit by the pool and read, eat in the MDR/Windjammer, go to the shows/activities, stay on board in port or go ashore and just walk around. My wife and I have been on many week long cruises where we had a zero balance on our account at the end and still had a good time.

This, so much this. I'm really excited about the revitalization plans for CocoCay, but I would be perfectly happy to park my butt at the beach and snorkel all day (with my own gear). No need to purchase a waterpark day pass or ride in a helium balloon to have a good time! There will still be complimentary food options available at CocoCay which I'm perfectly content with. (I'm not the type of person to purchase either a drink or dining package on a cruise anyway.)

Looks like the final stages of the project will be completed in time for my December 2019 Harmony cruise!

oUR 9-1-2019 HM cruise stops in Coco Cay. They will not have finished the Coco Beach Club (done in December). It should be ready for our 1-12-2020 cruise. I might pay for it just for something different. Would definitely be interested in this area on a 3 or 4 nighter on Mariner. Park myself at the Beach club and have my DD & SIL take the boys to one of the water parks.

We are also on Mariner 4 night on June 3rd. Looking forward to see the Mariner again.

I will be shocked beyond my wildest imagination if completion dates are met. How many times did NCL have to delay GSC? And even though it is open, it is NOT done, plenty of construction still.

How many times has MSC delayed Ocean Cay? Scheduled for Dec 2017, not likely before mid-2019.

Resorts World Bimini probably won't be on too many construction managers CV's, either.

Things don't move as fast in the Bahamas and storms can set back construction schedules more severely than most of mainland US would.

Look how long it took beyond schedule to complete the terminal at PC. ;)

They're getting a little silly w the prices. Mariner is getting a water park, adults can have Solarium, and more lunch options onboard. Pretty comfortable place to be when 75%+ of the guests get off for the day :cool:

Agree totally. We only get off the ship in Labadee to talk an early morning walk, then back on the ship for the day when they changed that destination.

In the past we spent the whole day on Coco Cay...sigh...now will be the same thing...quick walk and back on the ship. :o

This, so much this. I'm really excited about the revitalization plans for CocoCay, but I would be perfectly happy to park my butt at the beach and snorkel all day (with my own gear). No need to purchase a waterpark day pass or ride in a helium balloon to have a good time! There will still be complimentary food options available at CocoCay which I'm perfectly content with. (I'm not the type of person to purchase either a drink or dining package on a cruise anyway.)

Looks like the final stages of the project will be completed in time for my December 2019 Harmony cruise!

"Sea" you on board. ;)

This is a very smart business move overall. There is no way to do anything that will please everyone. As RCI continues to grow as a company, constantly adding these mega ships, how do you attract enough people to fill them up? Things like water parks and ocean cabanas are hot in the vacation industry. Bringing all of the popular vacation attractions to a cruise experience makes sense to bring in a larger customer base. The people complaining about the cost make little sense. It was stuff that wasn't available before, and no one is forcing you to go. So what is the problem? Any and everything that is new should be free?

I would say the biggest con is the destruction of beautiful nature. Let's not kid ourself though. Just because we're living in a time to currently oversee it, doesn't pretend that this hasn't been happening all over the world and will continue to do so. Still though, it is sad to see it happen.

Second biggest con would be being there while there are 2 ships, and at least 1 being a mega ship. What a cluster that would be.

Now I'm worried our Symphony Sept 2019 will be disrupted with construction of all this stuff and I was so looking forward to getting back to my personal paradise!

Will they even take it off our itin....hope not! About the only thing I would approve of is the Beach Club with the over the water cabanas...now we'd pay for those! I'll be watching for those to come up on our Cruise Planner....Other stuff.....not so much. There goes our Robinson Caruso feel.....:loudcry::loudcry::eek:

From the schedule it looks like the only part that will not be completed when you are there is the Beach Club.

I am wondering how they will handle the Suite passengers and Pinnacles. On Labadee they have an area and beach just for them. I wonder if Coco Cay will have such an area or it they will get a pass for the Beach Club.

Second biggest con would be being there while there are 2 ships, and at least 1 being a mega ship. What a cluster that would be.

I believe I saw somewhere that the expected capacity for the facilities will be about 6000. If that is the plan I would expect 1 mega ship or 1 medium and 1 smaller one. A lot of research of the future schedules could confirm their plans.

I believe I saw somewhere that the expected capacity for the facilities will be about 6000. If that is the plan I would expect 1 mega ship or 1 medium and 1 smaller one. A lot of research of the future schedules could confirm their plans.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-coco-cay-bahamas.html

I scanned through through this and mostly it is only one ship at a time until the Fall of 2019 when the Navigator and the Mariner seem to be scheduled together all the way out to 2020. Who knows though they may start diverting ships there from other stops if it turns out to be a big money maker for them. I personally would prefer it to Nassau even though our cruises skipped over CocoCay because of weather.

Disney has waterslides on their private island that are included. If you stay at a hotel that has a waterslide at the pool, you don't have to pay extra. Was thinking it would be along those lines.

In fairness, the slides on Castaway ARE BASICALLY hotel pool slides. I think you figured out these are like water park slides or actual rides.

On the other hand, no one holds a gun to your head to make you buy anything extra on a cruise. You don't have to eat in specialty restaurants or buy fancy drinks, or spa treatments, etc, etc. You can still just sit by the pool and read, eat in the MDR/Windjammer, go to the shows/activities, stay on board in port or go ashore and just walk around. My wife and I have been on many week long cruises where we had a zero balance on our account at the end and still had a good time.

This! I will quote myself from once upon a time in a thread a long, long time ago. The couple I refer to here had some SERIOUS financial problems come up (healthcare bills, lost the main breadwinner's job, etc) and I posted this comment that is really reflective of your own.

As a sidepoint... we recently helped some n00bs go on their first cruise.

Money was extremely tight for them. They paid for their cruise, taxes, off-site parking fees, prepaid grats, etc in advance. However, things got even tighter budget-wise before their cruise. They expressed concern about additional money for add-ons and hidden charges ruining their trip.

As experienced cruisers, we sat down with them and explained that if you didn't want to spend a dime, you didn't have to and gave them a bunch of tips on ways to do things without spending money. They actually walked on the ship with about $40 (they had an emergency credit card on the room, but knew they wouldn't be charging anything to it) in cash as spending money.

They told me they had a couple $ tip for the off-site parking driver and $5 extra to give their stateroom attendant as they left the ship.

The best part is that they felt so refreshed and had a wonderful time. They didn't get to do everything they could have if they had more funds, but they did a ton of stuff regardless. They were happy, well-fed, entertained, tan, relaxed, and felt like they had a perfect vacation.

It's not the money, it's what you make of it.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-coco-cay-bahamas.html

I scanned through through this and mostly it is only one ship at a time until the Fall of 2019 when the Navigator and the Mariner seem to be scheduled together all the way out to 2020. Who knows though they may start diverting ships there from other stops if it turns out to be a big money maker for them. I personally would prefer it to Nassau even though our cruises skipped over CocoCay because of weather.

I remember years ago Labadee was quiet, small. Then after they added the pier, water park/rides and other extras they started having 2 ships there at times. Can see it at Coco Cay also...

RC doesn't charge (yet) for waterslides on the ship, I don't think they should charge for the ones on their private island either. Just like Disney doesn't. I'd rather have a lazy river, and a few smaller (free) slides, than this gigantic complex you have to pay for.

RCI have just done a live stream on Facebook of changes coming to CocoCay

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cococay-bahamas-perfect-day-island/explore/arrivals[/url]

:D

Looks exciting

A perfect day would be if all the fabulous amenities were FREE. Looks like another way for rccl to separate passengers from their money. I bet the only fee free swimming on coco cay will now be in the latrines...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmm. Let’s see. A daypass that includes the water park at Atlantis in Nassau can easily run, what, about $130 to $150 for the day? Royal currently charges something like $100 for ONE trip down the zip line at Labadee? And Royal is now going to put a big water park on their exclusive private island? Get ready to open your wallet.

I’m sure it will be fun. But I’m also guessing it will be rather expensive. Disney charges $65 for their water parks. I can’t see it being any less than that, and I suspect it will probably be more for full day access.