Hey guys, we are taking my in-laws away on a cruise and they are panicking about feeling sick. Where in the UK can you get cheap motion sickness tablets? We've never encountered anything in the past but if it puts the mother in law at ease it has to be a winner!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

The ship has free distribution of Bonine type pills.

Indeed.

They have them available in "take what you need" displays in the Medical Center areas on all ships.

Hey guys, we are taking my in-laws away on a cruise and they are panicking about feeling sick. Where in the UK can you get cheap motion sickness tablets? We've never encountered anything in the past but if it puts the mother in law at ease it has to be a winner!

Just curious - why do you want cheap motion sickness tablets? Is it because they are your inlaws and you don't care if they work or not?? LOL- just joking.

It is a very good idea to get some tablets locally and try them before you sail to see if the side affects are tolerable, especially if you already take allergy medications (meclizine is an antihistamine). Lots of folks just use ginger ale, ginger tablets or apples. In the US they sell the generic medications in grocery stores. Drug stores (chemists) also have store brands that are much cheaper than buying brand-name Bonine.

First-time cruisers do tend to worry a lot!

I would pick some up before you embark, because Bonine recommends starting to take the pills one night before you leave and I have had success with that method.

A friend of ours got Dramamine Ginger. It is non-drowsy and he said it worked perfectly on their cruise. Not sure of the availability but if you find it, it's wonderful.

I use Dramamine "less drowsy" version and it does the trick. No drowsiness or negative interactions with alcohol. I can't speak to what's handed out on the ship, but I wouldn't get on the boat and swallow a pill that I've never taken before, unless it was an emergency. Figure out what your body tolerates before you get on the ship, and then shop accordingly.

Grab a few green apples the first day at Windjammer. We once talked to a crew member who swore by that method. Once I was desperate enough to try anything and it worked ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship has free distribution of Bonine type pills.

Bonine is my favorite motion sickness pill! It works really well. Now, I use the ear patch instead. It works just as well, and doesn't make me sleepy...

The pills given out on board are meclizine, which is the generic form of Bonine. (just FYI)

Bonine is my favorite motion sickness pill! It works really well. Now, I use the ear patch instead. It works just as well, and doesn't make me sleepy...

I get the dry mouth thing with the patch.

You can get sealegs from most UK pharmacy's or Boots own brand.

Which ship and where are you cruising from/to?.

On the bigger ships you feel little or no movement.

We've also had really good success with Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets. It's safe for children and adults, and you can dissolve them under your tongue as needed. They taste sort of pepperminty, with no side effects!

On the bigger ships you feel little or no movement.

You will feel motion on any ship. Good weather, bad weather, the seas are always moving. The ship offers free medication if you need it.

7a8e3a05eeb650778db2f97039adde9b.jpg

I use Dramamine "less drowsy" version and it does the trick. . . . .

That's also meclizine under another name.

In the UK meclizine used to be available as Traveleeze but they stopped selling it a few years ago. I've not been able to find it here since so I now always stock up on Bonine when in the US as that is what seems to work best for me.

If you are unlucky enough to hit really rough seas even the biggest ships will have some movement so I think it's always best to be prepared.

Julie

You will feel motion on any ship. Good weather, bad weather, the seas are always moving. The ship offers free medication if you need it.

Disagree.

As others have posted...without high winds and/or rough seas...feeling motion on the larger ships is a major challenge. On our Oasis cruise last week, we brought 3 first-time cruisers along...and all 3 stated repeatedly that they felt no motion whatsoever except for the last day when seas were somewhat choppy...and even then...they said they hardly felt anything.

I think people posting about ship motion sometimes exaggerate to the point where they deter others from experiencing things themselves firsthand. We've now been on 5 different larger ships with 8 different first-time cruisers...and to a person...ALL of them said they virtually felt no motion 90%+ of the time.

For those who do and actually have a problem with it...the medication is onboard and readily available.

7a8e3a05eeb650778db2f97039adde9b.jpg

On the bigger RC ships we rarely feel any movement.

Disagree.

As others have posted...without high winds and/or rough seas...feeling motion on the larger ships is a major challenge. On our Oasis cruise last week, we brought 3 first-time cruisers along...and all 3 stated repeatedly that they felt no motion whatsoever except for the last day when seas were somewhat choppy...and even then...they said they hardly felt anything.

I think people posting about ship motion sometimes exaggerate to the point where they deter others from experiencing things themselves firsthand. We've now been on 5 different larger ships with 8 different first-time cruisers...and to a person...ALL of them said they virtually felt no motion 90%+ of the time.

For those who do and actually have a problem with it...the medication is onboard and readily available.

For years i put off cruising because i had experienced motion sickness on trains and coaches.

We have now done 45 cruises and only been sick once and that was in a force 11 going through the infamous,

Bay of Biscay.

For years i put off cruising because i had experienced motion sickness on trains and coaches.

We have now done 45 cruises and only been sick once and that was in a force 11 going through the infamous,

Bay of Biscay.

Happy crusing!

That raises a good point on the topic...motion sickness typically affects people on planes, trains, and/or even automobiles...as well as cruise ships. Roughly 5-10% of people in the overall population are affected with one or more locations of this condition. Women seem to be affected more than men according to medical statistics.

On the bigger RC ships we rarely feel any movement.

We are just off the Allure (2nd,,, or now 3rd largest cruise ship in the world). Sailing in "calm" seas, there was movement. Water sloshing in the toilet. Closet and bathroom doors swaying and slamming. Movement.

I take the less drowsy Dramamine too, just in case. So far on 3 cruises all has been fine even with some motion (where you have to do that little double step to keep your balance while walking) I have been good no nausea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

We are just off the Allure (2nd,,, or now 3rd largest cruise ship in the world). Sailing in "calm" seas, there was movement. Water sloshing in the toilet. Closet and bathroom doors swaying and slamming. Movement.

We have been on most of RC ships and the bigger ones with the Royal Promenade it felt like we were walking in a land based resort.

We always go for a midship cabin deck 7,8 or 9 but never higher because you can feel a little movement especially with a high forward cabin.

Any pharmacy should have a number of offerings available.

MIL should check with her GP or a pharmacist before getting anything.

Ginger tablets are available and usually effective. They may be contraindicated with certain medical conditions.

Seabands do work for some people.

Grab a few green apples the first day at Windjammer. We once talked to a crew member who swore by that method. Once I was desperate enough to try anything and it worked ! Lol

My first cruise with RCCL I happened to look out the windows in the windjammer in rough seas and immediately got nauseous. I hightailed it back to my room and my cabin steward saw I was looking a bit green in the gills. He said “Miss Amanda... I will go get you something, just rest.” He came back with green apples and sat with me while I ate and started to feel better.

10 years later and I still swear by green apples for motion sickness!

My first cruise with RCCL I happened to look out the windows in the windjammer in rough seas and immediately got nauseous. I hightailed it back to my room and my cabin steward saw I was looking a bit green in the gills. He said “Miss Amanda... I will go get you something, just rest.” He came back with green apples and sat with me while I ate and started to feel better.

10 years later and I still swear by green apples for motion sickness!

Thanks for sharing.

When we sail on our other favourite line P&O out of Southampton England most of the cruises sail through the notorious Bay of Biscay and i will get some green apples from the buffet.

Graham