Norwegian Cruise Line Offers Full Refund for "Construction Zone" Cruise

LauraS

Cynically it's a good move by NCL but is it too little too late given the massive negative press they have received. This should have been their action right from the start, not after getting bad publicity.

Also it looks like only a credit, Its should be a cash refund. Many of these people will never want to cruise with NCL again.

Also I would not accept the offer if legal action is being contemplated.

Also curious about penalties for health and safety violations.

I haved cruises on NCL many times but am rethinking based on this event.

Paul

paul, if the do not want to cruise NCL again that is their choice. This is why it is offered as a credit toward a cruise and not a cash refund.

BTW to those who say they saw this on FOX news, we watch FOX off and on all day plus get it on our car radio, it must not have been covered very long: never heard a thing about it.

Those who call some of us cheer leaders, maybe we are, but there are 2 sides to every story. if we are cheer leaders, I guess that makes all of you, even those who have not sailed NCL whiners and babies. How many stories do we hear daily that we do not like? How many companies do we not patronize because they do things against our beliefs, and yet, we don't carry on and on.

Edited by newmexicoNita

...we watch FOX off and on all day plus get it on our car radio,...

Are you one of those people who talks out loud to the radio while driving as if the host can hear you? I always laugh at those people. Sports talk radio people are the same...I laugh at them, too. :p

I’m sure NCL won’t mind if everyone of you whiners never sails with them again. Less complainers. They will be fine. I would have had no problem taking a full cruise credit and I’m sure most of the non pompous people feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, that's nice that you would be happy with the full cruise credit. Many of your fellow NCL apologists pointed out when the story first broke that the original offer of 25% off a future cruise was more than generous.

By the way, the Star is going to dry dock right after it's transatlantic cruise in a few weeks. I hope NCL got the message so as not to disrupt the cruise experience for those passengers too.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

Well, that's nice that you would be happy with the full cruise credit. Many of your fellow NCL apologists pointed out when the story first broke that the original offer of 25% off a future cruise was more than generous.

By the way, the Star is going to dry dock right after it's transatlantic cruise in a few weeks. I hope NCL got the message so as not to disrupt the cruise experience for those passengers too.

Maybe the construction is a fringe benefit and those pax should thank NCL for the experience? LOL. :')

Reported on the 22 April roll call that ncl has admitted it will do a wet dock on the PC cruise beginning tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were stunned when we saw photos from the cruise in the Austrailian news story that is cited on the CC Regent discussion thread. That cruise was well beyond an inconvenience, rather a serious health risk with metal shards, construction dust, and chemical odors in many areas of the ship. I cannot imagine having my family in that environment and am puzzled by those who do not feel that passengers from that cruise are entitled to a complete cash refund, if not more.

Star's PC (Panama Canal - 14 days) westbound leaving from LA for Miami, then it continue onward T/A to Barcelona - 14 more days.

We have folks on the sailing, will be following & hearing from them ... for sure, if & when. Her group has been "advised" and tracking the news lately. Plus, BA doing TA this month with a dry dock, leaving from New York.

NCL better take notice.

paul, if the do not want to cruise NCL again that is their choice. This is why it is offered as a credit toward a cruise and not a cash refund.

BTW to those who say they saw this on FOX news, we watch FOX off and on all day plus get it on our car radio, it must not have been covered very long: never heard a thing about it.

Those who call some of us cheer leaders, maybe we are, but there are 2 sides to every story. if we are cheer leaders, I guess that makes all of you, even those who have not sailed NCL whiners and babies. How many stories do we hear daily that we do not like? How many companies do we not patronize because they do things against our beliefs, and yet, we don't carry on and on.

Don't feel baa-aa-aa-aa-aad.

I have been a huge fan of ncl, recommending to friends, family and colleagues. I think a future cruise credit is inadequate compensation for something they planned to do on the cruise that was this intrusive to a relaxing vacation. This is a case of apologize later - basically a bait and switch - to try to lure these people back. They know many of them won’t be back so they also know they won’t have to pay out! Where are the Consumer Advocates holding this bad corporation to do right by the consumers!!?!! I have recommended NCL to so many people, and am more and more embarrassed by the increase in poor service with the exponentially increasing the prices. This is a trend by NCL, provenby my own recent Gem cruise where they blocked off sundeck space above the pool on multiple consecutive sea days to paint and maintain railings. They didn’t even put out all the loungers, so they were stacked and strapped and not enough seats! I I get there needs to be maintenance, but NCL is now doing it at without any reggard to the consumer just to make more money. I have one NCL cruise left, and it will be my last. For what we pay for cruises these days, construction... errr maintenance.. should be as transparent as possible to the cruising public.... just like it used to be!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s not how this works

As others have pointed out, the title of this thread is totally misleading -- NCL has not offered a refund, let alone a full one. A full refund means you get all your money back that you paid to NCL. That's not what NCL is doing here by giving people a credit toward a future cruise.

The title of this thread should be corrected.

Check out all the pics on the Facebook page mentioned in the first post.

It was literally raining toxic blue dust down on the people.

And a picture of the bucket of stuff raining down on them had a skull and crossbones on it (poison symbol) with the warning:

Toxic if inhaled. May cause an allergic skin reaction. May cause respiratory irritation. Avoid breathing dust / fumes / gas / mist / vapours / spray. Wear protective gloves / protective clothing / eye protection / face protection....

This was raining down on people on the pool deck!

They need more than a future cruise credit in my opinion.

What if they develop cancer or another medical problem down the road?

Will a future cruise credit fix that???

One guy on a news report I just saw said he had to sleep sitting up because he was coughing non-stop thru the night.

That means all that toxic dust was in his lungs.

NCL really screwed up on this one. They didn't want to dry-dock because they were more concerned about the $$$$.

What media? Doing a google, other than this forum and Canadian media.... I saw little media attention.

I'm kinda puzzled why the original threads were closed.

It was on ABC evening news here in the US last night.

What media? Doing a google, other than this forum and Canadian media.... I saw little media attention.

The story received big play on the ABC evening news on April 6. Lots of video showing the major construction going on while at sea, and interviews with several unhappy passengers. I'd call that some media attention.

I simply stated my opinion, I am not looking to debate or argue. Just trying to say something positive in a negative world.

You are entitled to your statements/opinions but it enables and supports abuse of passengers by NCL; IMO your statements are not helpful at all.

Nothing really positive about the situation; NCL created the 'negative world' in this instance.

Best cruising all!

So the initial reaction by most was "they should get a refund or a full credit". Now that they are getting a full credit it is "Not good enough they should get a cash refund". Of course if NCL does do that, those same people will then be saying "they should get the refund AND a free cruise". Just goes to show that you cannot please some folks.

'

Name one person you actually know who has said that. Not just ones in your imagination.

Name one person you actually know who has said that. Not just ones in your imagination.
On their FB page, many want full refund, plus a free cruise, plus all the expenses they paid (airfare, hotel, DSC, gratuities on UBP, etc.) and then they said they would be satisified. The majority on there are not happy with NCL's offer.

Actually I blocked them all on FB. Go to the NCL page and read.

I've been reading the "Panama canal sun" FB page that was created. Many of them just want a refund and to never want to sail NCL again and I don't blame them one bit.

Edited by CoasterGuy

I've been reading the "Panama canal sun" FB page that was created. Many of them just want a refund and to never want to sail NCL again and I don't blame them one bit.

and this is exactly why they are not offering a full refund. by offering a free cruise some people will take it and give NCL another try. For those who will never cruise NCL again what difference will it make to them? Haven't you heard the people you want to make happy are the ones that want an opportunity to give you another chance?

I am amazed at all of you who talk about what you are reading on FB without mentioning those who say they had a good time regardless. This is one reason I rarely bother with FB. :(

I am amazed at all of you who talk about what you are reading on FB without mentioning those who say they had a good time regardless. This is one reason I rarely bother with FB. :(

Guess you missed my post where I mention some cruisers commenting that they enjoyed their cruise and I said you can imagine the names they were called.

Would you like to be on that cruise? I would not.

Probably not, it I saw what thought was a positive thing, maybe I didn’t know enough about the situation, I just came on the cruise critic board to research info about my crusise next year., as I had a devasting day because of the death of my brother and I was trying to escape reality of the day. Lesson learned, will not state my thoughts again

Probably not, it I saw what thought was a positive thing, maybe I didn’t know enough about the situation, I just came on the cruise critic board to research info about my crusise next year., as I had a devasting day because of the death of my brother and I was trying to escape reality of the day. Lesson learned, will not state my thoughts again
Please don't let folks run you off, speak your mind an leave your thoughts.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your brother.