Can You Ask for a Table in the MDR Then Get Your Entree From the Horizon Court?

need2cruisesoon

Just curious if this has ever been done. Some people are picky eaters and prefer the Horizon Court/Bistro for their entree but enjoy the ambience of one of the main dining rooms.

I've always wondered if they could seat us at a table then leave for the Horizon Court via elevator for the food?

Just curious if this has ever been done. Some people are picky eaters and prefer the Horizon Court/Bistro for their entree but enjoy the ambience of one of the main dining rooms.

I've always wondered if they could seat us at a table then leave for the Horizon Court via elevator for the food?

By the time you get your food back down to the dining room, it's going to be pretty cold and congealed.

Are you referring to Traditional Dining where you have your meals at the same time, table or take food from the buffet, to stand in line at anytime dining? I really don't think that would go over to well...but then.....As I sit here and ponder that..I can see someone getting a couple of plates from the buffet......juggling them on the elevator, through the ship, standing in line behind other diners waiting for a table, then your turn, taken into the dining room, you put your full plates (I'm going to assume the time it took you to navigate the route, your hot food would now be cold) maybe sitting with a larger table, waiter comes over looks at your full plates, and tries to figure out how to serve the rest of the table as you already have your food.....I'm again thinking NOT.

Are you referring to Traditional Dining where you have your meals at the same time, table or take food from the buffet, to stand in line at anytime dining? I really don't think that would go over to well...but then.....As I sit here and ponder that..I can see someone getting a couple of plates from the buffet......juggling them on the elevator, through the ship, standing in line behind other diners waiting for a table, then your turn, taken into the dining room, you put your full plates (I'm going to assume the time it took you to navigate the route, your hot food would now be cold) maybe sitting with a larger table, waiter comes over looks at your full plates, and tries to figure out how to serve the rest of the table as you already have your food.....I'm again thinking NOT.
When I couldn't find anything I liked on the menu, I asked if I could get something from the room service menu. No problem.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

I can't see that working very well. Even if you have a table for two, it might take a very long time to get to the buffet, get your food, and get back. Crowds! You'd end up with cold food and an unhappy waiter.

This sounds like something I want to try next cruise, I have an old cafeteria tray I can pack, go to the buffet, load it up, take it down the elevators, stand in line and wait for a table...while I hold the tray. I can't wait to see the look on the Matre D's face

Two choices: pre-order the night before what you want. The other choice is to have your entree in the buffet and go to the dining room for dessert.

I love salad and often order a large salad with grilled chicken as my entree. I’ve never needed to pre-order it.

I cruise with a picky eater with religious food issue as well. So have a lot of experience, with well of 60 cruises on 9 lines.. What you are suggesting I think would be difficult at best. I do think you have a variety of options though, including: ask to see menu in Mdr night before, head waiter will bring it to you to see if there is anything on menu you want for the next night, you can even ask for some modification and special order a night in advance; another option, if you don't find anything on the menu you want, simply go to the buffet the next evening... actually the buffet can be very pleasant... early in the evening when it is not busy... you have a window with a view to boot. Another options we do sometimes, is simply get a tray of food from the buffet and take back to our cabin and enjoy, this is especially nice if you have a late departure in a port... we have our dinner on our balcony. Lastly, we sometimes just order from Room Service.

For years and years, we opted for the 'elegance" of the MDR...but as of late, we found that the dinners got longer and longer and the food, well, sometimes it just didn't cut it. So, Mr Fussy, my DH, decided one night to hit the buffet, and was taken aback by the "formality" of it. We can eat what we want, how much of it, and the selections way out numbered the MDR. We have found after sailing the Regal/Royal..we can pretty much have the entire aft section outside over looking the ocean and having the moon and stars above.....I gotta tell ya....nothing beats that view with dinner....

Even if you can and the ship’s staff may not forbid you from doing it absolutely does not mean you should. If you are such a picky eater that the dining room can’t accommodate your food preferences then I can’t imagine the buffet would satisfy you either. From everything I have read on these boards, many a special diet is accommodated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Considering the difference between the MDR dinners choices and the buffet, I have a question. We have always done MDR and especially formal nights. This coming cruise we will be skipping the formal aspect and we are waitlisted for MDR. How do dinner items compare in the buffet, especially formal night? Will we see any prime rib, steaks, lobster or crab legs? (The good stuff, lol)?

Considering the difference between the MDR dinners choices and the buffet, I have a question. We have always done MDR and especially formal nights. This coming cruise we will be skipping the formal aspect and we are waitlisted for MDR. How do dinner items compare in the buffet, especially formal night? Will we see any prime rib, steaks, lobster or crab legs? (The good stuff, lol)?
There’s a huge difference between the Royal and Regal buffet and other ship buffets. Yes, you’ll find almost everything in the buffet offered on the dining room menu, including Beef Wellington, prime rib, etc. Probably not lobster (I wouldn’t order it even if it were on the menu) or crab legs but there will be a lot more options. I’ve sailed on the Royal three times for a total of about 34 days and ate in the dining room maybe a handful of times. I actually enjoy the buffet more than the dining room on this ship.

There’s a huge difference between the Royal and Regal buffet and other ship buffets. Yes, you’ll find almost everything in the buffet offered on the dining room menu, including Beef Wellington, prime rib, etc. Probably not lobster (I wouldn’t order it even if it were on the menu) or crab legs but there will be a lot more options. I’ve sailed on the Royal three times for a total of about 34 days and ate in the dining room maybe a handful of times. I actually enjoy the buffet more than the dining room on this ship.

Pam, so you like the buffet on Royal and Regal better than other Princess Ships; is that because they offer more; or are larger area?

Pam, so you like the buffet on Royal and Regal better than other Princess Ships; is that because they offer more; or are larger area?

I totally agree with Pam....Both....the only downside for me is that the desert area is separate and a ways away from the food area, but after eating all that food, its a way to make room for desert

In general we are not fans of buffets. For example, we did a 31 day cruise on the Crown last year and we never went to the buffet! But the buffets on the Royal and Regal are extremely well laid out with extensive food selections and specials most nights, with more than adequate seating, and just steps away from the extended Outrigger Bar area with lots of tables and chairs.

we do the buffet for breakfast only, pretty simple - some fruit, Danish/croissant, and bacon if it was crispy ( which you can 'order' and they will get it for you )

and liked the outrigger area on the regal if not too windy

never to the buffet for lunch or dinner.