London Hotels - Favorite?

Susie B.

I just stayed at the Mercure Kensington back in September. It was for a land based vacation that ended with a family wedding. The hotel was a mid-range hotel that was well located. Near the Earl's Court tube stop and near many restaurants. Walk to things like the Victoria & Albert museum, Kensington Palace. There is a Sainsbury about 500 feet away, for anything you may have forgotten.

The rooms were quite small, which will get you ready for the cruise ship rooms. :p

I've stayed in several...but...possibly my favorite was the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...

Fairly new hotel --they opened just prior to the London Olympics--which is when we stayed there. Modern hotel...We had a two-room suite with incredible city views. Location is right across the bridge from Parliament/Big Ben...about one block from the London Eye (giant Ferris Wheel). Most of the "sights" are pretty much walkable from there...My wife now doesn't want to stay anywhere else...

https://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ut/gbwestmi

As a note, here are some of the others we've stayed in recently:

The May Fair--nice comfortable large room--close to Piccadilly Circus and West End Theater District...

The Rubens--Interesting old hotel, but very nicely renovated...next to Buckingham Palace and near Victoria Station...Was once housing for debutantes attending balls at the palace...Watch out for this, though--some rooms are very small--others spacious...We've had both on different visits here.

Park Grand Paddington Court--stayed there once due to proximity to Paddington Station...NEVER again...Alleged four-star hotel...lacking in air conditioning (maybe they've installed some since we stayed there, but, somehow, I doubt it...Figure if they did, it likely won't work properly anyway!)

We've also stayed at the Marriott near Heathrow...and I wouldn't ever recommend doing that--we did it one night because of a late arriving flight...

And I've stayed in a B&B or two...plenty of those around--of varying quality...

Good luck...

Hampton Inn near Waterloo RR station. Very handy for both train and tube travel plus walkable to the Westminster area. We booked a year in advance at a great rate. We usually rent flats but this was convenient, clean and easy.

Park Tower Knightsbridge has a fantastic location near Harrods, and Grosvenor House on Hyde Park, a JW Marriott hotel. We have stayed at a number of hotels in London, midrange and high priced, the best are the ones with close access to the Tube. Expect smallish rooms, even at the highest price points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those experienced London travelers, do you have a favorite London hotel? We're staying four nights in August pre cruise.

We had an excellent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington. Five minute walk to the High Street Kensington Tube Station. Large rooms and a great staff!

We loved the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel. Great location for a lot of historic areas and a short cab ride to the theater district (or a slightly long walk if you are inclined). We will stay there again if we return to London.

There's actually a UK ports of call board here https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

I'd pose this question there. In all honesty, this really depends on what you want to do, how mobile you are, and what you're willing to pay. Beyond that, we're all going to throw out names of hotels that 1) may not be anywhere near the attractions you want to visit, 2) are well beyond your budget, 3) too modern for your tastes, 4) too historic for your tastes, or 5) are inconvenient or extremely expensive to reach from the airport or to your transportation to your cruise.

Hi,

Aster House in Kensington is wonderful. Its small boutique hotel with every amenity. Great breakfast every morning too. Close to good pubs, V and A and tube station. I stayed there in 2005 and will be back this July.

Enjoy!

Helen

I've stayed in several...but...possibly my favorite was the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...

Fairly new hotel --they opened just prior to the London Olympics--which is when we stayed there. Modern hotel...We had a two-room suite with incredible city views. Location is right across the bridge from Parliament/Big Ben...about one block from the London Eye (giant Ferris Wheel). Most of the "sights" are pretty much walkable from there...My wife now doesn't want to stay anywhere else...

https://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ut/gbwestmi

Good luck...

We picked the Park Plaza too for October.

Stay quite a bit for work in London, as well as several leisure trips. If you dont mind staying slightly out in Earls Court, the Hotel Indigo (Kensington) is a great boutique hotel and part of the IHG group so you can use points easily. There are several other Indigo Hitels around London.

Close to Marylebone Station is the Landmark Hotel - used to be the Regent Hotel - big rooms (by London Standards) - lovely Winter Garden.

Marriott at St Pancras - friends love that hotel

Sofitel St James - very well located upmarket hotel - we had a good stay here

One Aldwych - near Covent Garden - great upmarket hotel

The Connaught - an expensive option - less showy than Claridges or the Savoy

Shangri La - The Shard. Haven't stayed here but am a big fan of this hotel chain in Asia. Tallest building in UK (Europe?) and hotel occupies upper floors. Slightly different location (Tower Bridge) but still well located for sightseeing.

One area I would personally avoid is Knightsbridge which I tend to find full of young foreign long stay visitors in flash cars flaunting their wealth.

Edited by DYKWIA

I have stayed at Premier Inn Waterloo. The hotel is walking distance to Big Ben, London Eye, Parliament, Westminster, Thamas river, pubs, restaurants, HOHO, regular bus, tube, Waterloo train station.