Travel agent vs web site

Used a TA for many years, as our cruises got longer and more sophisticated, we fired him.

If you are doing a one off simple, grab the OBC and run. Any itinerary with a little length or hair on it, do it yourself. You CAN do a combo of both you know.

We are not permitted to name or discuss travel agents or agencies here. Ask your friends and family whom they recommend.

Reread the question. She was only asking how others booked and not with whom?

I've done it both ways. Experience with a TA was better. The main thing that most people care about is price, and when I was looking it was the same regardless of which option was taken. Usually TA's will throw in something extra as well on top of whatever the line is offering.

The other thing I learned after having to deal with RCI's customer service is ... when you are with a TA at least they speak clear English.

The only downside to a TA is you have to go through them regarding anything to do with your reservation, so it adds a step. You call them to make a request, then they call the line, then they call you back to tell the result. So if you use random internet website #3 you may not get the best service. So just ask around to see what people you know use, or try your big box warehouse store if a member, or if all else fails google a company and then google their name to see if there are complaint threads.

I do all of the research myself. I know exactly what I want and how much it should cost. Then I look for a TA who can make a better offer either by rate reduction or generous obc or paid gratuity or drink package. I ask them a serious of questions about the cruise line that I already know the answers to. If they answer correctly I let them take my information and start the booking process. Sometimes they will imply that the travel agency is giving the drink package or other perks. They do this a lot with Celebrity. At that point I tell them that I am still deciding and will get back to them. I did this with one of the big agencies that advertise on CC. When I called the agent back to finalize the booking my call was never returned. Never went back to them. Most of the time I end up booking directly with the cruise line over the phone. It's not worth giving up the control for $50. For the fist time I booked through my big box club. They offered $250 OBC for a balcony room plus $75 from Royal Caribbean and they paid the deposit until Dec when it will be charged to my credit card. I couldn't pass that up. The catch is they charge $24.99 processing fee and $100 cancelation fee. I was willing to take my chanced on this. I will just build the $100 into my travel insurance policy. The agent seemed very knowledgeable and also told me to look for the discounted drink packages which are usually offered around Thanksgiving. Hopefully all goes well.

I do all of the research myself. I know exactly what I want and how much it should cost. Then I look for a TA who can make a better offer either by rate reduction or generous obc or paid gratuity or drink package. I ask them a serious of questions about the cruise line that I already know the answers to. If they answer correctly I let them take my information and start the booking process. Sometimes they will imply that the travel agency is giving the drink package or other perks. They do this a lot with Celebrity. At that point I tell them that I am still deciding and will get back to them. I did this with one of the big agencies that advertise on CC. When I called the agent back to finalize the booking my call was never returned. Never went back to them. Most of the time I end up booking directly with the cruise line over the phone. It's not worth giving up the control for $50. For the fist time I booked through my big box club. They offered $250 OBC for a balcony room plus $75 from Royal Caribbean and they paid the deposit until Dec when it will be charged to my credit card. I couldn't pass that up. The catch is they charge $24.99 processing fee and $100 cancelation fee. I was willing to take my chanced on this. I will just build the $100 into my travel insurance policy. The agent seemed very knowledgeable and also told me to look for the discounted drink packages which are usually offered around Thanksgiving. Hopefully all goes well.

^^^

Smart evaluation process. I like it and may try it myself. TY. ;)

I do all of my homework first, then call my TA to give her the details, ship, dates, room #, etc. She does all the phone calls with all the hold times. I use a local agent that I have know a long time.

Us too. But our TA isn't local. But we've used her for 10 years and even though she isn't with an agency that gives OBC, the service I get makes it worth it. She got us an upgrade that we weren't qualified for from a JS to a Crown Loft for a TOTAL of $305 for both! That was my "perk!"

But I've dealt with RCCL and even though they are very nice, I had to literally read their own "rate rules" to them to get the rate. I simply let my TA do all that work.

I find it easier to deal with a travel agent that I have built up some confidence in. It can be a more personal service than dealing with Royal Caribbean. I don't like calling people and I find that with my travel agent, email contact is fine and I get prompt response.

The big negative for me is that I have to settle the outstanding amount a lot earlier than if I book directly with RC. We get some discount to compensate but if you want to hold off to the last minute before paying the full amount then dealing with RC might be better.

I am in the UK where things might work differently to US or other countries.

I do all of my own research, decide on the date and ship and cabin category. Then I book direct with the cruise line for any included perks. Once I have my booking number, i then call my travel who is located in another state. I give her the information as to booking number, dates ship, and cabin number. She arranges a transfer of the booking to her agency and gives us substantial OBC for the booking. All that is left to do, (usually) is make the final payment arrangements with the TA and get packed for our cruise.

How do you Long time cruisers book?

My TA is out of commission with family.

I just got off the Liberty and ready to

Go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps I'm not understanding your post as others have.

If your TA is just out of commission for a time...Book directly with the cruiseline and then transfer it to them when they return...taking note of the transfer timeline policy (60 days).

I agree with this. That way, I get exactly what I want, but I can usually get an extra perk from my TA. When the price dropped, I just called my TA and they got me a better deal as well. To get these price drops though, you will likely have to stay on top of that yourself.

I do all of my homework first, then call my TA to give her the details, ship, dates, room #, etc. She does all the phone calls with all the hold times. I use a local agent that I have know a long time.