Heard the mosquitos on Half Moon Cay are plenty and out for blood, true?

LongHill44

Just got back from there last week. It was a rainy day at HMC and the mosquitos were HORRIBLE! We exited the tender area and started to walk down the path, got about 50 feet and we were swarmed by voracious black mosquitos. These things were blood thirsty and unrelenting. We ended up running for the beach with the swarms following us. We finally got away from them by jumping in the water. Later as the sky started to clear, the bug issue subsided.

But, Yeah. As of last week, Mosquitos were very prevalent at HMC. We spoke with many on our cruise that were bitten. Bring bug repellent and a good cover up just in case. I had a long sleeved swimming shirt on and they were biting right through the shirt.

Well, if there are mosquitos there, I'm certain they are indeed out for blood. I've never seen one though. Not disputing that others have encountered them, just reporting my experiences.

I don't recall any, either, but it's no big deal. There are mosquitoes everywhere.

I don't recall any, either, but it's no big deal. There are mosquitoes everywhere.

Everywhere except HMC, apparently... at least the times I have been there. I've been there on a rainy day too, unfortunately. It may have a lot to do with the time of day. I don't think I've ever been there past 3:00 PM. I could see them getting bad in the evening.

Mossie activity in the Bahamas, where HMC is located, is most active in the months of Feb-Nov., a pretty long season. But on a daily basis, they appear more in the hours around dawn and dusk, so cruisers tendering to HMC may miss the most active times.

If one is a skito magnet, then a good repellant should probably be applied before arriving on the island, after getting out of the water, or after 4 hours or so. This should be done on any Caribbean island, not just HMC.

Mosquitoes can transmit Chickungunya, yellow fever, dengue, Zika, and a few other nasty diseases, so it's better to be prepared. That said, I usually attract all kinds of biting insects, but I haven't encountered mossies on HMC or no see ums on Roatan. On an excursion in Belize last month, my ankle was attacked by fire ants.

Carnival is even advising cruisers to use bug spray on HMC

Major corporations are more likely to be over-cautious in their warnings instead of less-cautious. Since we are overly litigious, they don't want to take any risks of anything happening and "no one told me".

Major corporations are more likely to be over-cautious in their warnings instead of less-cautious. Since we are overly litigious, they don't want to take any risks of anything happening and "no one told me".

What would the lawsuit be for, going out in public? We did not see or hear any announcements, nor did we see any mosquitoes.

Sad but true

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and I were just there last week as well. Rainy weather and somewhat breezy. We didn't notice any while on the beach or in the buffet area but then we went for a walk across to the other side of the island. There we found a lot of standing water and the mosquitoes came out to feast. I typically don't get bit but these were fierce and painful. Would definitely recommend repellent, especially if you plan to explore at all.

Was there last week and had cabana #11. Arrived first tender around 9am and lots of standing water. Took tram to cabana and got off and immediately swarmed. The tram driver said it was normal after rain and first thing in morning. The cabana had them until around 11am and did not notice them the rest of the day.

Was there in July 2018 and the mosquitos were really bad around the buffet area (picnic tables). Not one mosquito on the beach.

Sure hope that was a typo or you need to come back from the future.

We we're just there in last of April and did not have a problem but had great weather- no rain.