Labadee Merchants

If you can't handle Labadee, don't ever go to Jamaica!!! :cool:

Isn't that the truth. Been to Jamaica once. Never been back. I won't book an itinerary that has it as a port of call. If I were to get directed there due to weather or other situation I would just stay on the ship.

Every time we end up in Labadee I always enjoy the walk through the gauntlet. But then, I rather enjoy the process of dealing with car salesmen too.

My mother is really funny when she has had enough of a vendor. She will say I have to ask my son if I can buy this. I'll yell back... no, let's go. She shrugs her shoulders, walks away, and we both have a little laugh.

We went to Columbus Cove for the first time last month (been to Labadee three times previously). It was crowded and the only place to set up on the beach was near the end of the market area, near where the food is served. The whole time we were there we were subjected to the endless, loud "cat-calling" from the vendors to people walking by the area, as well as to people on the beach who stood up to walk to the bar, etc. If you had to go to the restroom or got up to walk to where the food was being served, they'd call to you (identifying you by what you were wearing) and walk out on the road in an attempt to approach you to buy something. It was the complete opposite of "relaxing". I couldn't wait the get back on the ship. That will be my fist and last visit to the Columbus Cove area of Labadee.

I don't have a problem saying "no" to vendors or walking by and ignoring them, but the endless cat-calling took it to a new level of annoying.

not happy to hear about columbus cove... I was told by Royal that they have a new quiet area at columbus cove where you can rent the new bungalows and it is a roped off area... did you happen to see that area ???...we have rented one of the bungalows for our cruise on Harmony..

While the Labadee merchants are a tad pushy for my taste, I just say a calm "no, thank you" with a smile and move on. A small woman, I have never had issues with merchants at Labadee or anywhere else. I rarely buy anything I don't need but I like to look at things while representing my place of birth in a pleasant, unafraid manner to other citizens of the world.

not happy to hear about columbus cove... I was told by Royal that they have a new quiet area at columbus cove where you can rent the new bungalows and it is a roped off area... did you happen to see that area ???...we have rented one of the bungalows for our cruise on Harmony..

We just rented one today for the allure. The price dropped to $210 for us during the memorial day sale.

Thanks for the replies, I guess my expectation for Labadee was going to be a relaxing day at the beach with no "Hard Sells" like when walking in the other ports. The one thing that really bothered me was when I was looking in one stall the guy asked for my name and where I was from. I thought he was just making chit chat. He then handed me a little shot glass size cup and had carved my name in it and demanded I make him an offer for it. I told him I never asked you to carve my name in it nor do I want it and his response was that it now had no value and I owed him something / anything for it. I said no thanks and left to walk back to the beach. It just did not leave a good taste after that. I know that area can be easily avoided but was just curious why Royal would not want to make the entire port as nice and relaxing as possible.

Thanks again for the replies and opinions

They did the same with my teenage son.

He had no idea, went wondering off came back with a flute he had not asked for. He was pretty upset, the money came out of his allowance.

He did not ask for the flute, just thought the trader was being friendly.

I was non too happy. But he learnt a valuble life lesson.

Thanks for the chuckle. I am a male, but hardly what I would call "alpha". My 70 year old mother has not had any issues on Labadee, nor in Cozumel ("almost free today" is used in our house as a reference to the vendors in Cozumel who we find perfectly delightful). I maintain that it is a cultural difference. What some of my fellow citizens from the US like to describe as "rude" is quite the norm in a good chunk of the world.

Perhaps some should stick to cruise line "private islands" lest they be "forced" to come in contact with any locals.

Labadee IS a private "island" and the vendors there are some of the most aggressive I have encountered. Cozumel in my experience isn't even close. If it is indeed a "cultural" difference as you claim, you would think that the negative reaction that they get from many cruise ship passengers (judging from comments on this thread and others) would cause them "water-down" their "cultural" sales tactics just a little ?? :D That is if they want to sell their stuff. As others here have said, I might buy if I could have 5 minutes to look and see what they have. They don't seem to get that concept.

Edited by Rala
typo

We just rented one today for the allure. The price dropped to $210 for us during the memorial day sale.

thanks for the heads up... called Royal, they credited the 265 and recharged the new price...... :D

I'm female, and I have no problem saying no.

I've also gone outside of the fenced area in Falmouth -- same thing, just say no.

Same for the gauntlet of merchants between Dunn's Falls and the tour bus. Just say no.

Same for my skinny teenaged son in Labadee (totally not "alpha male" in appearance). Just say no.

I've gone to Labadee several times without ever once coming in contact with the vendors. If you don't go up to them, you don't have to deal with them. I've been to every beach available on Labadee, too, so you CAN enjoy a lazy beach day without interacting with them.

As i said in my post above, I can say no as well. The vendors, however, don't seem to believe that I mean NO. Maybe I need to be less polite when I say it. I usually say No, thank you when perhaps a loud NO is the better choice. I will try that next time !:D;p

Labadee IS a private "island" and the vendors there are some of the most aggressive I have encountered. Cozumel in my experience isn't even close. If it is indeed a "cultural" difference as you claim, you would think that the negative reaction that they get from many cruise ship passengers (judging from comments on this thread and others) would cause them "water-down" their "cultural" sales tactics just a little ?? clear.png?emoji-grin-1677 That is if they want to sell their stuff. As others here have said, I might buy if I could have 5 minutes to look and see what they have. They don't seem to get that concept.

Sales have always looked pretty good when we have strolled through the area. If nothing was selling something would have changed by now. Sales are also quite brisk at my local outlet mall in South Carolina where you cannot walk through without someone approaching you to sell time shares, cruises, enter to win a motorcycle etc. Can't go into a grocery store or big box store anymore without someone asking me to buy Girl Scout cookies, donate to a church, support some charity etc. The "no thank you" I provide seems to work just as well on Labadee as it has at home.

You'll be fine. We were there all day back in February and were never bothered by anyone. The market place is a learning experience for some. After looking a few times we don't bother any more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I recently got off my very first cruise and loved it as it exceeded my expectations. My only complaint was the merchants in Labadee. Walking through the area was not very pleasant based on how pushy, aggressive, and should I say obnoxious some of the vendors were. I realize every port will have pushy or aggressive people trying to make their money and the cruise lines have no control over that. However, in Labadee Royal has complete control and I am curious why they would allow that to continue.

My question is this what has been your experience or response from Royal if you have complained about the merchant area. I was thinking of sending an email but just curious if other people have made complaints and what the response back from Royal has been. I am interested in any email response or if anybody talked with a guess representative on the ship. I know I cannot be the only person who was disappointed with being hassled to buy something (which I can say I did not buy anything) while walking through the merchant area.

I love the island and have no problem with the locals trying to sell me anything.

I just left labadee (first visit there) and Me and hubby will never go back to that market. I do have Haitian friends, I know a bit about what the island has been through and I was happy to go and spend.

We were at Nellies beach and there's a back stone path to the market.

It's a secluded part of the market. I did come with a smile and cash looking to buy souvenirs but the pushiness and harassment of all the stalls close together all calling for their turn to sell me something became overwhelming very fast.

One guy did slip a bracelet on my wrist and asked for money. Of course I didn't because I didn't even ask for it.

They also did try to engrave my husband's name on something without his consent and he put a stop to that too

I did buy a small painting I liked but once I bought that one thing it became kind of frenzied as everyone wanted a chance at my wallet. I barely got a chance to look. I could have bought more (and planned to) if I didn't feel so hounded. Plus was werent on the main path so it was really uncomfortable being surrounded like we were .

So far I've only been to Bahamas, Bermuda, PR, and St. Martin. I've never experienced anything that extreme in those places. This is my first and kast time at the labadee open market.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Our first trip to Labadee was in March of this year, and while we were all over the island (did kayaking, the waterslide, the water park, the coaster, and jet skis), we never even saw a market, or got hounded by anybody.

On the kayak tour, we did stop at a very aggressive market, but were warned ahead of time by our guide, and this was over in Labadie, not in the RCI area. We did buy some stuff, even though they were pushy (and my wife hates that), but we know how they truly do need money, and feel we are blessed to live in the country we do.

I've been to all the typical Caribbean ports. Yes, they were pushy. But this was the only place where I was afraid for my young son, I will never go back in there. This was a long time ago, can't remember exactly what happened, but my son was scared and I was scared. Not worth it.

I think it depends on your personality. My dh thinks aggressive locals are the worst part of cruise ports. BUT I enjoy the haggle. And maybe it's a woman thing but I definitely have a higher threshold from all the years of ... mom, mom , mom mom mom .... it's all JUST background noise now LOL

Please understand that the average yearly salary in Haiti is $350 to $400 per year. There are over 200 vendors on Labadee. I know they pay RC $3.00 for the use of a stall but not sure if that is per week or per month. I realize that they are very pushy but they really need the money.

Please understand that the average yearly salary in Haiti is $350 to $400 per year. There are over 200 vendors on Labadee. I know they pay RC $3.00 for the use of a stall but not sure if that is per week or per month. I realize that they are very pushy but they really need the money.

People cruise RC and go to what is one of the poorest countries in the world and they are surprised/upset that they are being asked for money by the locals. I guess they were hoping the gates and guards armed with semi automatic weapons would keep the "riff raff" locals out.

Absolutely not. Most of the stories here are of people who went into the market looking to buy and were put off by a beyond hard sale tactic where they're practically trying to trick you into buying something (Ex. Asking your name just to carve it into an item you had no interest in to force you to buy it).

Absolutely not. Most of the stories here are of people who went into the market looking to buy and were put off by a beyond hard sale tactic where they're practically trying to trick you into buying something (Ex. Asking your name just to carve it into an item you had no interest in to force you to buy it).

And so what is the "solution" these people are looking for? Other than choosing another cruise line with private property that's not located in one of the poorest countries in the world, it kind of is what it is. Don't like it, don't go to the market. Problem solved.

I rather a Labadee hard sell than a timeshare presentation...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah you just brought back some Memories. I can deal with the sales pitch on these Islands including Labadee(30yrs going there), JUST SAY NO "thank-you". Over the years have got few things, after a Hurricane, an Earthquake. First time I went to Labadee in 1988 they had to stay in their Canoes at the Pier trying to sell things... Only time I sat thew timeshare, 3 hrs worth, was to get 4 Free Tickets to Universal's Island's of Adventure. Was worth it, got in the park weeks before the General Public. But still never again...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I bet it would have something to do with "Haiti is desperately poor and negotiated the rights to the vendor area as part of the agreement to let Royal set up camp there so that hopefully at least a few of their citizens can eat dinner."

I find it obnoxious too, but then I think about all that Haiti has faced and is still facing, from Columbus wiping out most of the population to the colonial destruction of all of its trees to the fairly recent earthquake that devastated the country, and somehow I can't find the capacity to be irritated at these people for trying to earn some money. I'd be doing the same thing if I weren't incredibly fortunate to be a financially-comfortable citizen of a staggeringly rich country.

Thank you. You voiced my opinion. People seem to think this is RC's private island. It isn't. It is a leased portion of Haiti. These people live there. This is THEIR island. They lease this beach portion to RC. They have virtually no opportunity to make a living. They are confined to the marketplace. They don't follow you to the beach. They aren't hovering over you at the BBQ. I ALWAYS intentionally go to the marketplace and buy something handmade. It puts a little money into someone's pocket to feed their family. Pushy and aggressive? Sure, but they are also desperate for a few dollars that we easily pay for a drink on the ship. The only way RC gets to lease that place is by allowing vendors a CONFINED area that you are under no obligation to visit.

. I guess they were hoping the gates and guards armed with semi automatic weapons would keep the "riff raff" locals out.

Wouldn't mind this at all. It's safe, relaxing and resort like exclusive. Exactly how it is advertised in the cruise marketing brochure.

While the Labadee merchants are a tad pushy for my taste, I just say a calm "no, thank you" with a smile and move on. A small woman, I have never had issues with merchants at Labadee or anywhere else. I rarely buy anything I don't need but I like to look at things while representing my place of birth in a pleasant, unafraid manner to other citizens of the world.

Another Whatever:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mike