Oprah, Godmother of Nieuw Statendam

Stratheden

Does this mean if HAL dies, Oprah is responsible for the Neiuw Stantendam's upbringing until it becomes 18?

People stop taking things so seriously there are more important issues in the world. Congrats to Oprah I will be on the Neiuw Stantendam in March 2020.

Upon seeing the title of this thread, my first reaction was OMG! Followed by dismay.

As a previous poster mentioned, a person(s) more directly connected with the past success of Holland America Line, i.e. a high number of days Mariner or the wife of Kirk Lanterman or Stein Kruse, if not a member of the Dutch Royal Family would have been my choices.

This Godmother choice is clearly a "business decision" of the Company. As one of Nieuw Statendam's early in her career guests, will it have any impact on my expected enjoyment of my cruises? No.

It's interesting that while we know who the Godmother will be, we--or at least I--do not know who the really important people on the ship will be when she enters service: the Master, the Hotel Director, the Executive Chef, the Culinary Operations Manager, the Beverage Manager, the Chief Housekeeper, the Guest Relations Manager, the Chief Engineer, and the Purser among others.

This was posted recently. Koningsdam’s leadership will transfer to NA.

Upon seeing the title of this thread, my first reaction was OMG! Followed by dismay.

As a previous poster mentioned, a person(s) more directly connected with the past success of Holland America Line, i.e. a high number of days Mariner or the wife of Kirk Lanterman or Stein Kruse, if not a member of the Dutch Royal Family would have been my choices.

This Godmother choice is clearly a "business decision" of the Company. As one of Nieuw Statendam's early in her career guests, will it have any impact on my expected enjoyment of my cruises? No.

It's interesting that while we know who the Godmother will be, we--or at least I--do not know who the really important people on the ship will be when she enters service: the Master, the Hotel Director, the Executive Chef, the Culinary Operations Manager, the Beverage Manager, the Chief Housekeeper, the Guest Relations Manager, the Chief Engineer, and the Purser among others.

Agree, the choice will have no impact on cruises. As such it isn't exactly a marketing position, just honorary and in the nautical tradition.

Anyways, for what it worth: I am glad HAL is keeping with the Dutch tradition with names for its ships. When I read about Breakaway, Bliss, Symphony, Epic, etc I haven't a clue which line those are, so that is of little marketing value. HAL has it smart with the names.

Agree, the choice will have no impact on cruises. As such it isn't exactly a marketing position, just honorary and in the nautical tradition.

Anyways, for what it worth: I am glad HAL is keeping with the Dutch tradition with names for its ships. When I read about Breakaway, Bliss, Symphony, Epic, etc I haven't a clue which line those are, so that is of little marketing value. HAL has it smart with the names.

+1 (y)

Considering the number of controversial posts that occurred when the "O" marketing agreement was first announced, I would have thought that HAL would choose another Godmother, such as a Dutch Monarch. But, this was probably part of the original marketing agreement and was a done-deal months before. They couldn't change it if they wanted to. Unfortunately, choosing a person with political baggage of any persuasion for such an honorary position will offend some people, please some people, and not have any effect on the majority, who couldn't care less.

Well, I had no idea Oprah was so controversial -- having never watched her show. But if she is controversial, seems like a poor business decision to select her for godmother.

That said, I don't care about the godmother. What I'm watching carefully is HAL's direction as far as quality of destination speakers, quality of excursions, use of the Crow's Nest, maintenance of the ships. And, of course, the quality of meals. There are changes taking place that are important to me and I'm in a wait-and-see mode. So far, they haven't scared us off.

I don't mind who Hal chooses to be the godmother of the NS. I am pleased, that we will be leaving the ship before that date.

O and her entourage could be using Pinnacle Grill, Sel De Mer etc, over those 4 days and space may well be limited to the other cruisers.

Sandra

This was posted recently. Koningsdam’s leadership will transfer to NA.

Could you kindly provide the link for this news? Does this mean that Captain DeVries will be her first Master?

Thank you for this information.

I don't mind who Hal chooses to be the godmother of the NS. I am pleased, that we will be leaving the ship before that date.

O and her entourage could be using Pinnacle Grill, Sel De Mer etc, over those 4 days and space may well be limited to the other cruisers.

Sandra

Yeah...that's kind of an interesting scenario. I saw that the "Girls" cruise is tagged onto the end of a longer collector's cruise. I wonder if that's a surprise to the people booked on the 10-day run. It could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on whether you want the extra commotion onboard. Agree that some venues could become unavailable.

You are likely very right, ............... Pinnacle will be busy with the VIP's.

NO WAY I could be tempted to be aboard with the "O" 'prancing'.

Edited by sail7seas

Excellent point.

Smart branding decision for HAL - Oprah is popular and the company’s obviously hoping for her popularity to pay off for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why a select few are always all over EVERY Oprah thread with their negativity.

Obviously Holland America know what they're doing..they're not limiting their research to the Hal Devout.

The identity of a ship’s godmother is of minimal significance. I seem to recal seeing pictures of the GM at the entrance to one of the lounges on HAL ships - but beyond that it has zero impact on my cruise experience.

I am not particularly interested in theme cruises - unless there are good speakers on topics which attract me; but Oprah, The Queen of the Netherlands or Mylie Cyrus as godmother — really: so what?

Now, if they had a bacon cruise - hosted by Jim Gaffigan - that would be something!

I agree with others' comments, it really makes no difference to me.

But I'm still honestly curious, as I do not follow Oprah's career, and I am certainly not a fan, as to why she brings with her 'political baggage,' as I think one poster put it. What makes her a political figure?

She is divisive, I’ll give you that.

What are her duties as Godmother to the ship? Will she hide wonderful gifts and sets of keys to new cars in random staterooms.

Are they doing this strictly to pull in some new market segment. Hmmm?

Thank you for confirming your bias and answering your own rhetorical question asked to me. It does get a little frustrating, though, when a vocal minority insists on imposing its negativity onto this particular topic.
Can I use this in my signature?

Clearly this marketing relationship between HAL and Oprah is working for both parties. I, for one, see it as a positive. As the airlines say, "we recognize that you have a choice..." Perhaps HAL is no longer yours.
Indeed. I am beginning to lose patience with the sometimes-bordering-on-rude reactions of some to the cruise line changing to better serve other passengers, like me perhaps, not to mention to better service its owners (like me perhaps).

How is that different from previous ship launches?

Here's the announcement related to Konigsdam.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/queen-maxima-of-the-netherlands-named-godmother-of-koningsdam/

Who would have thought that the choice of a ship's godparent would become a hot-button topic? Really, who cares? What possible impact can it have on my enjoyment of cruising?
It is symbolic, and in this case symbolic of a change in the cruise line's target market, which has been percolating through the cruise line for as long as I've been cruising on Holland America, a change that apparently motivates some to violate reasonable expectations of behavior on the cruise line's page.

Not sure why a select few are always all over EVERY Oprah thread with their negativity.

Obviously Holland America know what they're doing..they're not limiting their research to the Hal Devout.

And having been the harbinger of these changes here in the forum for at least the last ten years, let me at least recognize that that negativity is grounded in a feeling of personal loss, not mischief nor for negativity's own sake. It doesn't excuse it, but is simply offered to explain it. The reality is that different people do want different things, and the cruise line is reasonably changing into a cruise line that you and I want to cruise on more and a cruise line that others would want to cruise on less. And for them, there is no safe harbor. All the cruise lines at this price point are changing in similar ways, so to get what they want they probably have to spend more money, meaning that they can afford less. That's a loss.

As the youngsters like to say..there are a few here who are "triggered" by any mention of Oprah.
Or, really, anything that is a touchstone for the great changes to the cruise line over the last decade, which they personally don't appreciate.