Oprah, Godmother of Nieuw Statendam

Stratheden

Thank you for confirming your bias and answering your own rhetorical question asked to me. It does get a little frustrating, though, when a vocal minority insists on imposing its negativity onto this particular topic. Clearly this marketing relationship between HAL and Oprah is working for both parties. I, for one, see it as a positive. As the airlines say, "we recognize that you have a choice..." Perhaps HAL is no longer yours.

*standing ovation*

Thank you for confirming your bias and answering your own rhetorical question asked to me. It does get a little frustrating, though, when a vocal minority insists on imposing its negativity onto this particular topic. Clearly this marketing relationship between HAL and Oprah is working for both parties. I, for one, see it as a positive. As the airlines say, "we recognize that you have a choice..." Perhaps HAL is no longer yours.

It is not bias, It is personal opinion. Yes, we are voting with our feet and are off to another cruise line next year. And it is not just the "O" thing which in fact is only a minor visual annoyance onboard. It is the overall direction and disconnect we now feel with Holland America Lines onboard and Holland America Lines in Seattle. They have always been free to take this cruise line any way that works best for them.

It is not bias, It is personal opinion. Yes, we are voting with our feet and are off to another cruise line next year. And it is not just the "O" thing which in fact is only a minor visual annoyance onboard. It is the overall direction and disconnect we now feel with Holland America Lines onboard and Holland America Lines in Seattle. They have always been free to take this cruise line any way that works best for them.

Total side topic, but interesting that a 5 Star Mariner is calling the company Holland America Lines when that has never been the name of the company. Seems like there's been a disconnect between you and the brand for longer than you may realize. :confused::confused:

To the general cruising public I doubt that the godmother matters much, if they are even aware that their is a godmother. The role is about seafaring tradition.

I appreciate seeing someone connected in some way, other than as a marketing ploy, with HAL in general.

In naming the last two ships with Dutch names HAL is keeping the flame of their history alive. A Dutch royal figure, a high Mariner, someone with a historic or real connection to HAL would be appreciated for the godmother role.

When you spend almost 500 days on HAL ships, you start noticing these things. Sit with me at dinner and we can talk about travel and all the wonderful places HAL ships have taken me. And share a prayer with me that she may not totally self-destruct in the near future under these new management changes.

Agree. This is good:)

I'd much rather dine with you than the new godmother. We could have some really interesting cruise-related talks!

Total side topic, but interesting that a 5 Star Mariner is calling the company Holland America Lines when that has never been the name of the company. Seems like there's been a disconnect between you and the brand for longer than you may realize. :confused::confused:

Thank you. Guilty as charged. Very, very, very guilty. I deserve to be stripped of at least one star. Please send in your hobgobblin and I will rip if off my Mariners bag.

Seems like it would be hard to find just the right person to be godmother of a ship. Celebrities are so overexposed nowadays that all the good and bad is out there for everybody to know about. So I guess Oprah is as suitable as most.

I wish people would keep their mystery a little bit so that it would be much more exciting when they accept this special relationship with a beautiful new ship. As it is, the whole thing is kind of a snooze.

We aren't breaking with HAL, but I do admit the bond is less strong. We have three cruises booked right now, one on HAL , one on Viking, and one on Princess. We are being less brand-loyal.

We too feel a disconnect to Holland America Line's onboard experience and Holland America Line's direction coming from Seattle.

haven't looked at HAL's Facebook page yet but I can imagine the comments there.On Twitter,out of maybe 10 tweets, *one* was negative.

That's why I came here. The comments on the FB page are mostly negative. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why so many people are so perturbed about Oprah that they are threatening to 'leave HA.' And why do they think that would influence HA. There will always be new cruisers to take your place.

That's why I came here. The comments on the FB page are mostly negative. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why so many people are so perturbed about Oprah that they are threatening to 'leave HA.' And why do they think that would influence HA. There will always be new cruisers to take your place.

HAL must have known that would be the response. People posted the same thing about the book club or Oprah cruises. I think they want to do a little house cleaning. Can't say I blame them

I actually never cared for her as a broadcaster & roll my eyes at the new-agey stuff but recognize that she is a brand guru & successful businessperson with a devoted fan-base.

Having just returned from my first HAL cruise in May, I was amused to see just how little Oprah-themed stuff there actually was onboard. A few talks, mentions in the daily, an announcement about the book club selection, and some merchandise. Not a big deal at all. Some on here make it out as if her face is on the shower curtains. In the gift shop, there was a tall display that had her name on it that I think mentioned something related to the "better you" focus. At the base of that was the table with booze & cigarette specials on it! Maybe me giggle, anyway.

Oprah commanded much more respect before she politicized herself. Years ago, I watched her talk show here and there, depending on whether the topic interested me. I never idolized her but always respected her communication and business acumen. Now many of us tolerate her but have no interest in her branding.

Someone upthread said she isn’t political. Americans on both sides would strongly disagree with that assertion.

Holland America just posted this on FB. I guess in response to comments on the page.

We have been reviewing all the comments on today’s announcements and appreciate the support. As a reminder, all posts that violate our community terms of use will be removed immediately.

These announcements build on the very successful partnership that Holland America Line has had with O, the Oprah Magazine since early 2017. The foundation of our partnership is the shared belief of our two brands in the importance of expanding horizons and inspiring connections with other cultures through travel.

We understand that people have their own opinions and beliefs, and with more than 500 cruises each year we are confident that there are great choices to serve all our guests.

Holland America just posted this on FB. I guess in response to comments on the page.

We have been reviewing all the comments on today’s announcements and appreciate the support. As a reminder, all posts that violate our community terms of use will be removed immediately.

These announcements build on the very successful partnership that Holland America Line has had with O, the Oprah Magazine since early 2017. The foundation of our partnership is the shared belief of our two brands in the importance of expanding horizons and inspiring connections with other cultures through travel.

We understand that people have their own opinions and beliefs, and with more than 500 cruises each year we are confident that there are great choices to serve all our guests.

I think that's a good response on HAL's part.

Roz

Upon seeing the title of this thread, my first reaction was OMG! Followed by dismay.

As a previous poster mentioned, a person(s) more directly connected with the past success of Holland America Line, i.e. a high number of days Mariner or the wife of Kirk Lanterman or Stein Kruse, if not a member of the Dutch Royal Family would have been my choices.

This Godmother choice is clearly a "business decision" of the Company. As one of Nieuw Statendam's early in her career guests, will it have any impact on my expected enjoyment of my cruises? No.

It's interesting that while we know who the Godmother will be, we--or at least I--do not know who the really important people on the ship will be when she enters service: the Master, the Hotel Director, the Executive Chef, the Culinary Operations Manager, the Beverage Manager, the Chief Housekeeper, the Guest Relations Manager, the Chief Engineer, and the Purser among others.

I think that's a good response on HAL's part.

Roz

Neutral and says 'little'

Safe

Is safe good enough for a company of HAL's exceptional history??

I think not.

Neutral and says 'little'

Safe

Is safe good enough for a company of HAL's exceptional history??

I think not.

What should they have said? Considering some of the over-the-top comments accusing HAL of being unpatriotic America-haters, I think it shows the right amount of restraint while letting everyone know that the decision has been made and will not be un-made.

Who would have thought that the choice of a ship's godparent would become a hot-button topic? Really, who cares? What possible impact can it have on my enjoyment of cruising? I can't name past godparents, and when choosing a cruise, I have never thought to look up who the godparent might have been to help me decide.