HAL bread is not very interesting

SeaBands

Nana,

I tried uploading my raisin bun photo, and I got an error message saying I exceeded the file size limit. Geesh, it's just a picture of a bun. How big could it be?

Roz

☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Buns!

i-WPmQHzD.jpg

These bad boys are about 3” across (diameter). I’m still puzzled how they get them so round as when I’ve made them they don’t get that shape.

Thank you. I’ll know what to look for next time

I saw this Bread Thread had over 8,000 views, and I thought, what on earth can they find interesting! Now I GET it, I'm making these raisin rolls forum VBS Leaders this week! Thanks gang!

Now wait a minute- don’t stop there. Try HALs Cinnamon rolls too. Use Birds Custard mix to be authentic.

http://kaleidoscopicwandering.com/2010/03/25/cinnamon-rolls-aboard-the-ms-eurodam-recipe-included/

They used to make these in limited editions and they were served in Explorations. I haven’t seen them since 2013 and fear they are extinct.:')

What are the Panama Buns that I’ve read about in several HAL blogs?? Are they the buns shown in #206??

No. Those are the Raisin Rolls. They are Dutch. Copper had a name for them. It was long and I think it started with a K.

The Krentenbollen look yummy.

Does anyone have a picture of the Panama rolls, or can you describe them?

Pete posted the recipe http://www.theinsidecabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Panama-Canal-roll-reciple045.pdf

I always heard they had orange in them.:confused:

The Krentenbollen look yummy.

Does anyone have a picture of the Panama rolls, or can you describe them?

The Panama buns have custard and mandarin orange segments inside. I had the pleasure of attending a demo and sampling them the day before we entered the canal. They can be found in the Lido Market for breakfast but they are mixed with all of the other pastries. This photo will show you what to look for:

Panama-Buns.jpg?i=503167504

The Panama buns have custard and mandarin orange segments inside. I had the pleasure of attending a demo and sampling them the day before we entered the canal. They can be found in the Lido Market for breakfast but they are mixed with all of the other pastries. This photo will show you what to look for:

Your description of the pastry is accurate as to my memory, but the photo is not. I remember it as more of a danish-type looking pastry.

The pastry has different names depending upon where it is served in what geographic area the ship is sailing. Regardless of the name, it is delicious!

I've read about "Panama buns" for years but never had any idea what they were like. Based on your description....Wow! I am so looking forward to these on my Panama Canal cruise in October.

....You are right! Bread isn't very interesting! Last cruise, I was talking to the bread for, god, what, an hour.. no expression, no retort, nothing! That bread was not very interesting for sure! Please see my thread on Interesting Bagels. Gotta love a bagel, and the stories they tell! They were from the far yeast, but luckily, I had been there, so we could yoke it up!

You know what are dangerous?Panama rolls/buns. I could eat a BUNCH of those.(if you've had one you know what I'm talking about!)

I agree! I got the recipe at a cooking class and made them at home ( loved that cruise!).. they weren't as good as the ones they made that morning through the canal... I don' have a commercial kitchen of course, but i was proud of myself. I was so excited about the passage I got up at like 5:30 a.m and they had everything set up... and I didn't see it coming, the layout. It seemed so traditional and made it feel so special! I was so surprised, and had myself plenty! let me know if you need the recipe.

I’m beginning to think I am some sort of freak for not loving bread.

You are. But if it makes you feel better, I don't care for raisin buns (intensely dislike dead grapes!) or Panama rolls. But that onion flatbread I mentioned much earlier? I'm in love. Sigh. Only 50 some days to go after an almost two year absence...