Serious Question-what's the attraction of pool side chairs that people "hog?"

I have read countless threads and posts about "chair hogs" that seem to describe the chairs that are near and around the (very small) pools on cruise ships. I honestly don't understand the attraction as most people have said they don't actually go in or use the pools. I can understand the desire to have a chair near the pool if you have children who are going in the pool that you need to keep an eye on. I'm referring to people who readily admit that they don't usually even go in the pool, but yet feel compelled to reserve or desire a chair near the pool. Don't misunderstand, we love sunbathing, but choose to do our sunbathing on beaches while in the ports. If people want to sunbathe while on the ship, it doesn't have to be done right around the pool, especially as most people have said they don't even go in the pool. If you sunbathe on a lounger where you can see the ocean, you can still go take a dip in the pool to cool off.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, chairs around the pool are often crowded; the pool area is usually noisy; and the view you get is of the mass number of people in the pool as opposed to a nice ocean view. What am I missing?

When DH and I cruise, we always look for those decks that have lounge chairs that are in view of the ocean, yet protected from the sun. We love to sit near the ocean, both to enjoy looking at the sea and also for the slight breeze that sometimes comes with those seats. Our frustration with the Allure and the Oasis (RCL ships) was that there were few (non-smoking) areas where you could find a chair that overlooked the ocean yet was protected from the sun. One of the things I'm looking forward to on the Getaway is the Waterfront, where I am hoping/assuming that there will be such areas.

I've read that there are often chairs on the decks above where the pool is on the Getaway that seem to be more available. I'm hoping we will find some nice, quiet, secluded spaces that have lounge chairs that are in the shade yet next to the railing so we can see the ocean as we cruise. No one has to worry that we will be hogging any chairs near the pool. But I would love to understand what is the attraction to those chairs, that make people get up super early to "reserve."

I have read countless threads and posts about "chair hogs" that seem to describe the chairs that are near and around the (very small) pools on cruise ships. I honestly don't understand the attraction as most people have said they don't actually go in or use the pools. I can understand the desire to have a chair near the pool if you have children who are going in the pool that you need to keep an eye on. I'm referring to people who readily admit that they don't usually even go in the pool, but yet feel compelled to reserve or desire a chair near the pool. Don't misunderstand, we love sunbathing, but choose to do our sunbathing on beaches while in the ports. If people want to sunbathe while on the ship, it doesn't have to be done right around the pool, especially as most people have said they don't even go in the pool. If you sunbathe on a lounger where you can see the ocean, you can still go take a dip in the pool to cool off.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, chairs around the pool are often crowded; the pool area is usually noisy; and the view you get is of the mass number of people in the pool as opposed to a nice ocean view. What am I missing?

When DH and I cruise, we always look for those decks that have lounge chairs that are in view of the ocean, yet protected from the sun. We love to sit near the ocean, both to enjoy looking at the sea and also for the slight breeze that sometimes comes with those seats. Our frustration with the Allure and the Oasis (RCL ships) was that there were few (non-smoking) areas where you could find a chair that overlooked the ocean yet was protected from the sun. One of the things I'm looking forward to on the Getaway is the Waterfront, where I am hoping/assuming that there will be such areas.

I've read that there are often chairs on the decks above where the pool is on the Getaway that seem to be more available. I'm hoping we will find some nice, quiet, secluded spaces that have lounge chairs that are in the shade yet next to the railing so we can see the ocean as we cruise. No one has to worry that we will be hogging any chairs near the pool. But I would love to understand what is the attraction to those chairs, that make people get up super early to "reserve."

I'm with you!

If the Getaway is similar to the Breakaway (sister ships ?),there is an area outside of Vibe that has loungers. There is a bar nearby. It is on one of the top decks,so I am sure that you will see the ocean views.

I agree with you, DH and I stay away from the pool areas and the hot sun.

H2O is another sitting/lounging alternative,but very little shade and a smoking section nearby.

I'm a ship person, I prefer at sea days and actually don't disembark at many ports.

I like what I consider a prime location chair but don't consider myself a chair hog. I get up early, put towel & bag on a chair, then go for a coffee & smoke. Back to the chair for a while then grab a quick buffet breakfast, etc etc.

I like being near the pool to people watch, enjoy the band or activities, have some drinks. I do occasionally go in the pool depending on how crowded it is or use one of the showers nearby to cool off. So I literally have a chair from around 6:30am until maybe 6pm but it's only left vacant for periods of 5 to 20 minutes.

Not sure if that answers your question, this is just my thing and I've been doing it since my first cruise in 1980!

There are an irreducible number of people who, if it can be done for free, will abuse anything. It is not a nice side of human nature. It is why we need civilization.

With the success of Vibe, NCL might start putting meters on the pool loungers like the parking meters on our downtown streets! 😂

With the success of Vibe, NCL might start putting meters on the pool loungers like the parking meters on our downtown streets! [emoji23]

I think this would be a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not addressing the chair hogs, because we all know there is a special row of chairs reserved in hell for them ;), but in general some people like the pool-side seats for people watching. It gives a feeling of being part of the fun without being in the pool itself. On a cruise I’m with you about water-side (plus all cruise pools are way too small), but at land pools sitting pool-side can be nice.

Cubbies would be amazing! We spend most of our time in the pool or sitting by the side and always have to ask people if we can put our things by them or leave them in a random corner somewhere.

Cubbies would be amazing! We spend most of our time in the pool or sitting by the side and always have to ask people if we can put our things by them or leave them in a random corner somewhere.
It would be a great idea, but wonder where they would put them. If they needed to reduce the number of loungers to install them, that would be an issue and if they were too far from the pool, that could also be an issue.

Near the pool is good to people watch for some people.

I get up early and get a chair to relax in. I like to read and get some sun. I would not leave it for hours but if I need to get something to eat or use the bathroom I do not see it as hogging. I have gotten up and seen chairs left empty from 7:30 and noontime came and they still had belongings on them with no owner. That is not ok. Having said that I do not have to be next to the pool just a place to relax.

On the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus classes of ships, the outside decks above the pool deck have essentially no shade, unless the ship itself is blocking the sun, and that's hit and miss. There are plenty of chairs up there (usually stacked and strapped, because they're rarely necessary,) but you have to sit in the sun the whole time.

Wish ships would have cubbies to store shoes and shirts, etc. I do not need a chair but a dry spot for my stuff while I am in the pool.

They do - it is call Disney Ships. Very nice back along the sides next to walkway are places to store stuff.

Are there any good places on the Getaway that are near the railing, so you can see the ocean, yet covered or in shade? Definitely not near the pool, prefer somewhere quiet.

The Waterfront. That’s where I plan to spend my “de-stress and look at the ocean” time.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/norwegian-getaway-651/the-waterfront-119448/

though I would never in a million years think of hogging a chair I think I understand why some do and think they are special There are few lounges and chairs available and lots of people enjoy the day in the sun. I know that is pretty stupid in our world today, but people do think a sun burn is what cruising is all about. As for hogging, most people do this on sea days. port days they can use a near by beach or just enjoy an excursion. For us, our pool time is usually on port days as we do not always choose to get off the ship. We have seen many of the ports time and time again and love the peace and quiet around the pool for a short time when others are on land.

When I'm on vacation, I am not going to get up early so I can go win a chair and plant myself there all day. I get up when I do, walk around and see the sights; if a see a chair I sit in it when I'm tired of sitting I get up and take my stuff and anyone else can have the pleasure of enjoying that chair after me.

My pleasure does not have to be created at the displeasure of others.