Chances of Catching a “Drop & Go” In September?

My husband and I have about 2 weeks off in the middle of September 2018 planned. We originally booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral; we live around St. Petersburg, so it’s not much of a hike at all.

We recently cancelled the cruise before final payment, as we have some large life changes coming up that could be happening around the September timeframe, and did not want to deal with the stress of having to wonder if we would actually make it on our booked cruise.

Our question being: What are the chances of finding a “drop & go” cruise on a (preferably) Oasis-class ship in the middle of September? Something we could book just a week before sailing, or even a few days? We’d prefer to be in a balcony cabin (guaranteed/not knowing which cabin would be fine!). I’m just unsure if finding a decent deal a few days ahead of a sailing is realistic. Of course, because we live in Florida, any of the 3 major ports would be okay.

We’re just hoping to get any thoughts/experiences/encounters of anyone who has partaken in such a short notice booked cruise!

Thank you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I have about 2 weeks off in the middle of September 2018 planned. We originally booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral; we live around St. Petersburg, so it’s not much of a hike at all.

We recently cancelled the cruise before final payment, as we have some large life changes coming up that could be happening around the September timeframe, and did not want to deal with the stress of having to wonder if we would actually make it on our booked cruise.

Our question being: What are the chances of finding a “drop & go” cruise on a (preferably) Oasis-class ship in the middle of September? Something we could book just a week before sailing, or even a few days? We’d prefer to be in a balcony cabin (guaranteed/not knowing which cabin would be fine!). I’m just unsure if finding a decent deal a few days ahead of a sailing is realistic. Of course, because we live in Florida, any of the 3 major ports would be okay.

We’re just hoping to get any thoughts/experiences/encounters of anyone who has partaken in such a short notice booked cruise!

Thank you! :)

Should be no problem to find something that time of yr. We booked only 2 days before our September cruise last yr after Adventure was cancelled

Should be no problem to find something that time of yr. We booked only 2 days before our September cruise last yr after Adventure was cancelled

Hi! Do you think you received a good deal, a typical rate, or paid more than if you’d booked farther out? Thanks for the comment!

Watch this link as the time gets closer, sometimes you can find decent deals a few weeks ahead of time:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

The PDF file attached to the link usually changes every Thursday afternoon.

Thank you for the link! I appreciate it. :)

Hi! Do you think you received a good deal, a typical rate, or paid more than if you’d booked farther out? Thanks for the comment!

Pd $1395 total for an inside on Harmony. Missed getting an OV balcony for around $1700 after diamond+ discount, but missed by a few minutes. At that time ships were getting sold out really fast because of the announced Adventure cancellation

Edited by cruisinfanatic

If you are looking for the bargain basement deals of a few years ago you will no longer find them. Royal stopped the deep discounting over a year ago. While there still may be some discounting it won’t be that much.

My husband and I are only in our mid-20's and are new to sailing, so these "bargain basement deals of a few years ago" are completely unknown to us, haha. We booked our first cruise - October 2017, Oasis of the Seas - about a month out and paid $2,500-ish for an OV balcony. Which, looking at cruises prices now, I realize is a few hundred dollars over-priced (from what I see). If we can snag an OV balcony for ~$2,000 and book a few days (or a week or so!) out, we'll be happy. Just cautious/weary we'll be able to find anything due to our last experience is all. :)

Pd $1395 total for an inside on Harmony. Missed getting a balcony for around $1700 after diamond+ discount, but missed by a few minutes. At that time ships were getting sold out really fast because of the announced Adventure cancellation

Ah! Thank you for sharing. Was it cancelled due to Hurricane Irma? We were originally scheduled for St. Marten > San Juan > Labadee last year, but were re-routed to Nassau > Cozumel > Costa Maya because of it. Totally understandable, but weren't the ports we were hoping for.

My husband and I are only in our mid-20's and are new to sailing, so these "bargain basement deals of a few years ago" are completely unknown to us, haha. We booked our first cruise - October 2017, Oasis of the Seas - about a month out and paid $2,500-ish for an OV balcony. Which, looking at cruises prices now, I realize is a few hundred dollars over-priced (from what I see). If we can snag an OV balcony for ~$2,000 and book a few days (or a week or so!) out, we'll be happy. Just cautious/weary we'll be able to find anything due to our last experience is all. :)

If $2000 makes you happy then start looking now and don’t wait until the last minute. Many times the best deals come a few months out. If you see something under $2000 and especially if it is around $1500 then I’d jump on it and not wait.

If $2000 makes you happy then start looking now and don’t wait until the last minute. Many times the best deals come a few months out. If you see something under $2000 and especially if it is around $1500 then I’d jump on it and not wait.

Right! And we would totally do this if the whole time thing wasn’t the issue. But, unfortunately, it is. Due to some life changes, we won’t be able to book but if a few days (or maybe a week) ahead of sailing. If we knew positively we’d be able to go, we’d have already booked, haha. :)

Maybe our experience will help you: we were in Florida in our motor home when hurricane Matthew hit a couple years ago. Dh, the motor home and I came through unscathed, but our rv park reservations we’re suddenly cancelled due to hurricane damage/power loss. So, as long time cruisers, we parked the motor home ina storage lot and booked a cruise leaving that week. No doubt many other people had cancelled due o flight cancellations, so cruiselines had spaces to sell. Nevertheless, those last minute prices were not dirt cheap. As I recall, we paid about $2000 for an inside guarantee for two; balcony guarantee was much, much higher, even with our D+ discount. Price aside, we were safe, dry, well fed, and, unlike some ashore, we had power, so we were happy with that deal.

So, based on that experience as well as price watching over the years, if you must wait until the final days before the cruise, you will likely pay more for your trip than if you book weeks or months out.and you might well find all (or almost all) ships all over the state are already sold out a week before.

Since your life events will not allow you to book a cruise in advance, perhaps have some contingency plan for your vacation time if a last minute cruise does not pan out.

Maybe our experience will help you: we were in Florida in our motor home when hurricane Matthew hit a couple years ago. Dh, the motor home and I came through unscathed, but our rv park reservations we’re suddenly cancelled due to hurricane damage/power loss. So, as long time cruisers, we parked the motor home ina storage lot and booked a cruise leaving that week. No doubt many other people had cancelled due o flight cancellations, so cruiselines had spaces to sell. Nevertheless, those last minute prices were not dirt cheap. As I recall, we paid about $2000 for an inside guarantee for two; balcony guarantee was much, much higher, even with our D+ discount. Price aside, we were safe, dry, well fed, and, unlike some ashore, we had power, so we were happy with that deal.

So, based on that experience as well as price watching over the years, if you must wait until the final days before the cruise, you will likely pay more for your trip than if you book weeks or months out.and you might well find all (or almost all) ships all over the state are already sold out a week before.

Since your life events will not allow you to book a cruise in advance, perhaps have some contingency plan for your vacation time if a last minute cruise does not pan out.

It seems like most people have similar experiences in that booking close to set sail has resulted in higher pricing. Not necessarily what I wanted to hear, but I’m glad I’m prepared now! Thank you for sharing, I very much appreciate it. :)

Due to some life changes, we won’t be able to book but if a few days (or maybe a week) ahead of sailing.

While cabins might be available that close in, prices are NOT likely to be good. Most of the time, good pricing is at least 30 days out (usually between final payment and 30 days out).

Agree, It's a sport for me looking for best rates. You might find best rates right after Final payment. Use that link, it changes every week BUT available cabins at that price can be gone first day sometimes within few hrs... Sept is peak Hurricane season, main reason I sailed over Labor Day every year. Me and 3 young kids got home day before 9/11 that yr. Almost always had named storms around that time but at worst we just had to change ports from Eastern to Western...

Edited by ONECRUISER

It seems like most people have similar experiences in that booking close to set sail has resulted in higher pricing. Not necessarily what I wanted to hear, but I’m glad I’m prepared now! Thank you for sharing, I very much appreciate it. :)

Yes, prices might be high the week before sailing; more worrisome is that cabins might not be available at all. Cruiselines hope to be “sold out” by then with only the occasional cabin popping up due to a cancellation.

As you are forced to wait until the last week, plan to be flexible about cruiseline, port, ship, cabin type as well as price. And have a back up plan so you can enjoy your time if a cruise does not fall into place.

Not in my case

Watch this link as the time gets closer, sometimes you can find decent deals a few weeks ahead of time:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

The PDF file attached to the link usually changes every Thursday afternoon.

Just to add a tip regarding this sale....Be sure you stay awake just past midnight on the first day you can book and call RCCL immediately, or your cabin may be completely GONE by daybreak. Happened to me.....

One day when we were at Grills at PC watching the EN going out on a three night cruise we said to each other..."Hey...wanna be on it when it comes back?"

Went home and booked it for the following Monday. ;)

One day when we were at Grills at PC watching the EN going out on a three night cruise we said to each other..."Hey...wanna be on it when it comes back?"

Went home and booked it for the following Monday. ;)

We did that as well. Couldn't make up our mind on what to do for Easter dinner. Paid $1,000 for a 3 day OV cabin. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We did that as well. Couldn't make up our mind on what to do for Easter dinner. Paid $1,000 for a 3 day OV cabin. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Love it...hope that Easter dinner was delicious!! :cool:

Just to add a tip regarding this sale....Be sure you stay awake just past midnight on the first day you can book and call RCCL immediately, or your cabin may be completely GONE by daybreak. Happened to me.....

That happened to me as well. Then next time I stayed up and booked right after midnight. Next morning there were still cabins left, go figure:eek:

That happened to me as well. Then next time I stayed up and booked right after midnight. Next morning there were still cabins left, go figure:eek:

I learned my lesson as well. One time I was trying to book favorite aft wrap cabin 9256 on Radiance for our Alaska cruise. Still not offered online, but found out from CC that RCI was already booking cabins two days in advance on a call in basis only. :mad:

Called and of course cabin was already gone. Asked if I wanted to be on a wait list for that cabin...I said sure...what have I got to lose?

Wouldn't you know it, got a call two weeks later and asked if I still wanted that cabin. Oh you betcha!! Good things came to those that waited in this instance. :)