Allure passenger killed on zip line tour

An Allure passenger was killed on a ship sponsored “Extreme Caribe Zip Line” in Roatan

The honeymooning Isreali couple collided, killing the husband and seriously injuring the wife.

The report states it was raining and the tour operators were not equipped with radios.

Photos at the scene show a very rudimentary level care being provided by the first responders

Edited by cowboygene
Spelling

According to reports of the accident, the zipline operators were grossly negligent.

According to what "reports"? "Gross negligence" is a legal determination. I would be surprised if that could be determined in The U.S. within four days of an accident. I am highly doubtful any such determination would ever happen so quickly on "island time".

According to reports of the accident, the zipline operators were grossly negligent.

doesn't give one much confidence in Royal's excursion operator vetting process.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/tourists-on-honeymoon-collide-while-zip-lining-leaving-husband-dead-and-wife-injured/ar-AAzMwaI?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=oie8dlpg

Read this article and the tourism board blames the couple for the accident.

Article in the Washington Post says it was Allure (quoted by a RCI spokesperson). They were in Roatan. The article talked about a cruise-sponsored excursion but I can't figure out from the article if that was the case for this couple. She got stuck on the zip line and then they sent the husband. Because she was stuck he slammed into her. Both were alive when they got to the hospital, but evidently he died from his injuries. I've never done a zip line but evidently this is standard practice to have multiple people on the same zip line starting with a staggered time. Guess no communication telling the start that someone was stuck. I'm sure that will come out in the investigation.

Very tragic.

According to what "reports"? "Gross negligence" is a legal determination. I would be surprised if that could be determined in The U.S. within four days of an accident. I am highly doubtful any such determination would ever happen so quickly on "island time".

i've been reading the articles in hebrew of which there are many - including reports by authorities who have checked into the circumstances. Four days is a very long time. Many authorities have been involved.

Zip lining is dangerous and that is way many travel medical insurance policies DO NOT cover zip lining, para sailing and "other" dangerous activities. Safety standards in Caribbean countries are not the same as in North America. Do these activities at your own risk.

i've been reading the articles in hebrew of which there are many - including reports by authorities who have checked into the circumstances. Four days is a very long time. Many authorities have been involved.

Media Bias is a thing. The couple were Israeli, so it makes sense that the Israeli/Hebrew media will say it's the company's fault even though the investigation hasn't been completed. It also makes sense that the Honduran media will say it was the couple's fault.

Even after investigations are completed, different countries may continue to report different causes. Unfortunately you see it all the time in plane accidents. The Tenerife Airport Disaster was over 40 years ago and the countries involved still don't have an agreement; Spanish Investigators ruled it was the fault of the KLM pilot while Dutch investigators ruled it was the Spanish ATC at fault (although KLM did accept financial responsibility in the end)

Ultimately, I would assume the fault is with the zip line operator. They are the professionals, it's their responsibility to ensure customers are safe, but it may not necessarily be "Gross Negligence". We have to wait for the full investigation to come out for that

According to reports of the accident, the zipline operators were grossly negligent.....

Not according to the Hondurans:

According to the

Washington Post, the tourism people in Honduras take a shot a the honeymoon couple: "the Honduran Institute of Tourism told Radio America it regretted the accident, saying it was due to 'poor operation' on behalf of the couple. The institute’s director, Emilio Silvestri, told Radio America that the company in charge of the zip line took all appropriate security measures."

What horribly sad news.

I can't fathom how this could be due to the "poor operation" of the couple. I've been stuck on a zip line before. It's not fun. The tour operators were excellent, though, and were in obvious communication with each other so that the rest of my family was not sent down the line until they were able to help me reach the end. This is so totally the fault of the tour operator. No one intentionally gets stuck on a zip line.

This is just awful. And to think of the manner in which her partner died. Unfathomable. RIP.

If anything good comes of this, let it call attention that just because it is a cruise line sponsored excursion doesn't necessarily make it safe. There is a risk associated with these types of activities, no matter who the operator or sponsor is.