Dress code - I'm confused

Harters

Apologies for the post - I'm sure this must have been asked before

We're considering an Alaska cruise next year but I'm confused by what appears to be contradictory statements about the dress code on HA's website.

On the one hand, in its "2018 What you need to know before you go" booklet,it says "Gala nights.....for gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants." So far, so good as far as I'm concerned - that's what I would call "smart casual" which I'm happy with.

However, in their FAQs, it says "What should I pack .....on gala nights, men wear a jacket & tie, dark suit or tuxedo", implying an old fashioned "formal night" which is not my idea of fun when on holiday.

Can anyone help me clarify what is the actual situation of a required dress code for men.

TIA

John

HAL is having a lot of trouble with the new website, so I guess they haven't been able to fix their FAQs page yet.

As noted, the updated dress code is the collared shirt and slacks one (on some ships the dress code is sort of ignored....)

Alaska is a great cruise! Enjoy your planning.

Many thanks for such prompt and definitive responses.

We're at an early planning stage which should see us fly from the UK to Vancouver, probably spending a few days there before boarding the ship. Afterwards, we may have a couple more days in Vancouver before a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer. That ends at Calgary, from where we'll fly back home. Should be a great trip.

Many thanks for such prompt and definitive responses.

We're at an early planning stage which should see us fly from the UK to Vancouver, probably spending a few days there before boarding the ship. Afterwards, we may have a couple more days in Vancouver before a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer. That ends at Calgary, from where we'll fly back home. Should be a great trip.

The Rocky Mountaineer is a sensational trip! You might want to work Victoria or Whistler into the itinerary, too.

You have lots to plan so make sure you come back and ask any questions you may have.

We're considering an Alaska cruise next year but I'm confused by what appears to be contradictory statements about the dress code on HA's website.

On the one hand, in its "2018 What you need to know before you go" booklet,it says "Gala nights.....for gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants." So far, so good as far as I'm concerned - that's what I would call "smart casual" which I'm happy with.

However, in their FAQs, it says "What should I pack .....on gala nights, men wear a jacket & tie, dark suit or tuxedo", implying an old fashioned "formal night" which is not my idea of fun when on holiday.

Can anyone help me clarify what is the actual situation of a required dress code for men.

TIA

John

Collared shirt and slacks always work, although in my experience, people do tend to dress up a little more on HAL for Gala nights (spirts jackets, suits, ties, tuxes for men, gowns, dressy slacks and tops, and cocktail dresses for women). But you won’t get turned away from any restaurant if you’re wearing collared shirt and slacks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TIA

John

<em-

Men- Collared Shirt, Slacks (clean pressed jeans ok)

Women- No shorts, nice blouse

HA has RELAXED their standards. good, bad? Eh... Enjoy yourself.

On Gala night, for men, the minimal acceptable level of dress is a collared shirt and long pants (jeans do not meet the code on Gala night). That is, smart casual minus the jeans.

That is the minimal level, however, and many men will wear a sport coat, suit, or even a tux/dinner jacket.

Ruth,

Other than the gala nights, what is the dress code for women on an Alaskan Cruise?

Not Ruth, but it's pretty easy. Evenings, slacks, dress or skirt, whatever you want. Even jeans if they are not 'distressed'

Day time anything goes, but no swim suits, etc. In the dining room for breakfast or lunch. shorts, whatever are just fine but I doubt you will be wearing those in Alaska much ;)

HAL is having a lot of trouble with the new website, so I guess they haven't been able to fix their FAQs page yet.

As noted, the updated dress code is the collared shirt and slacks one (on some ships the dress code is sort of ignored....)

Alaska is a great cruise! Enjoy your planning.

This is not the only place were you get mixed up answers on the website. Not long ago I was looking up the vaping policy on HAL (thought I knew it but just like to check as MIL might need to know as she has been quitting smoking for a little while now, yay MIL!!) and I got 2 different answers. I just went with the present 2018 "Know Before You Go" answer. I figure that should be right for most my questions. Fingers crossed. :cool::p

Not Ruth, but it's pretty easy. Evenings, slacks, dress or skirt, whatever you want. Even jeans if they are not 'distressed'

Day time anything goes, but no swim suits, etc. In the dining room for breakfast or lunch. shorts, whatever are just fine but I doubt you will be wearing those in Alaska much ;)

Thank you very much Kazu (aka not Ruth)

What can remain confusing is what is stated and what people actually wear on Gala Night for Alaska cruises. You now know the minimum expected to have dinner in the main dining room that night. The surprise for us was to see so many on our recent Alaska cruise that well exceeded that minimum - and enjoyed Gala Night as something far more gala than the stated code. Even though we were warned Alaska cruises would be much more casual.

Point is wear what you want as long as you meet the minimum standards, but don't feel you will be alone if you take it up a few notches or ten notches. That is where the informal advice about what actually happens on Gala Nights can get ...confusing.

Since you are traveling from the UK, and doing additional travel pre- and post- , (suggesting that luggage manageability will be a consideration) don't feel obligated or pressured to exceed the HAL dress code, which SilvertoGold provided in post 4. :) If you WANT to, fine.... but it is not necessary.

We were on Eurodam, Caribbean, and several folks walked into the main dining room in shorts. Wear what you are comfortable with and fits into your suitcase.

Also remember to rewear your tops, one to three or four nights works since the only person who knows you wore it earlier in the cruise is you.

I’ve gone from two suitcases and a roll on to one suitcase which is rolled on - not checked. The suitcase no longer shows damage and doesn’t need replacement. A bit of a hassle but not really more than a smaller case and, once rooms are open, can unpack when convenient to me.

This is your vacation - rethink what works for you.

We were on Eurodam, Caribbean, and several folks walked into the main dining room in shorts. Wear what you are comfortable with and fits into your suitcase.

Also remember to rewear your tops, one to three or four nights works since the only person who knows you wore it earlier in the cruise is you.

I’ve gone from two suitcases and a roll on to one suitcase which is rolled on - not checked. The suitcase no longer shows damage and doesn’t need replacement. A bit of a hassle but not really more than a smaller case and, once rooms are open, can unpack when convenient to me.

This is your vacation - rethink what works for you.

We were on two cruises where people walked into the main dining room wearing shorts and were promptly turned away. Don’t risk it.

The FAQ isn’t telling you what you must pack, just what you might want to pack. They don’t want you to be surprised when Gala night turns out (sometimes) to be somewhat elegant. I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s contradicting the dress code (“know before you go” page).

OP....trust me.... the best thing is that men can now wear a collared shirt and slacks every night. No more packing a jacket and tie for me! If you want to fine but not necessary. Besides these days the food served in the MDR on "Gala Nights" is in no way "Gala."

Others may try to somehow "shame" you into thinking that if your attire is not up to "their" standards that this somehow "diminishes" their dining experience! Lol! Ignore them.

OP....trust me.... the best thing is that men can now wear a collared shirt and slacks every night. No more packing a jacket and tie for me! If you want to fine but not necessary. Besides these days the food served in the MDR on "Gala Nights" is in no way "Gala."

Others may try to somehow "shame" you into thinking that if your attire is not up to "their" standards that this somehow "diminishes" their dining experience! Lol! Ignore them.

That is too funny! I reread the entire thread to be certain, and there isn’t one post that is trying to “shame” the OP into any standard other than the minimum dress code and “wear what you want”. This type of post just triggers the negativity. Why would you do that when it wasn’t there in the first place?

That is too funny! I reread the entire thread to be certain, and there isn’t one post that is trying to “shame” the OP into any standard other than the minimum dress code and “wear what you want”. This type of post just triggers the negativity. Why would you do that when it wasn’t there in the first place?

I thought exactly the same thing.

Agree (y)

The phrase "minimum dress code" is loaded with passive-aggressive meaning. Some of you cannot seem to help yourselves, but there are many people who read what you write and understand exactly what you mean. "Take it up a few notches" is an implication that the minimum dress code is not really sufficient, for example.

Precisely the point. The “fashion police” exists only in the imaginations of people who, for their own inexplicable reasons, seem to want to believe that there are people lurking in MDR’s waiting to take pot shots at them.

The phrase "minimum dress code" is loaded with passive-aggressive meaning. Some of you cannot seem to help yourselves, but there are many people who read what you write and understand exactly what you mean. "Take it up a few notches" is an implication that the minimum dress code is not really sufficient, for example.
You must be kidding, right?

Ole Salt, I got your meaning just fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app