I feel lost...

So we booked our cruise with a travel agent but that was the last we heard from them. I wasn't aware that a bunch of things had to be pre-booked (like dining, entertainment, etc). This is our first cruise in 10 years, it looks a lot has changed.

I just found out about booking entertainment so we missed the rock show but did get a ticket for the Cabaret. I was also told by someone who took a previous cruise on the Anthem to do a reservation for the North Star too. However, I don't see that anywhere on the site. How can I book a time in there?

Yep, several times. They never responded. Left several voicemails and emails. This was through BJs.

I see on the RC website it says to book the North Star via the Cruise Planner but I don't see it listed anywhere in the CP when I'm logged in.

So we booked our cruise with a travel agent but that was the last we heard from them. I wasn't aware that a bunch of things had to be pre-booked (like dining, entertainment, etc). This is our first cruise in 10 years, it looks a lot has changed.

I just found out about booking entertainment so we missed the rock show but did get a ticket for the Cabaret. I was also told by someone who took a previous cruise on the Anthem to do a reservation for the North Star too. However, I don't see that anywhere on the site. How can I book a time in there?

Don't fret, there are reservations available on board. Once you board, go to the box office and make the reservations that you weren't able to make through your cruise planner. There are also standby lines for the shows, so you can try that if you can't get a reservation once you board. Anthem also has the Royal IQ app that you can load on your smart phone now and then use to make reservations once you board. Some have been able to get Royal IQ to work while in the cruise terminal too, so try that while you are waiting to board.

NorthStar reservations can also be made on board and through the app. There is also walk ups for that too.

Anthem has lots of other entertainment that you don't need reservations. Keep an eye on your cruise compass. If you are going on at least a 7 night cruise, you will have a tribute band. They perform in the Music Hall and Two70, we have seen some great ones.

North Star is probably filled up for pre-reservations. However, you can make a reservation once on board at a kiosk.

The shows you can show up early and wait in the standby line. Once it gets close to show time they let the standby in if there are seats left.

Thanks we're going on the 5-day Bermuda cruise in 2 weeks.

Your dining reservations on Anthem opened up in the planner 7 or 8 months ago.

Entertainment & activities opened up about 90 to 100 days ago. Pre-reservations 2 weeks prior to boarding won't be available.

As others have stated, as soon as you board the ship, make reservations for everything. There will be Royal Caribbean employees at certain locations when you board that can assist you with this. Do it right away. You can also download the Royal IQ app to help with reservations as soon as you board.

I hate travel agents. Can't rely on them. Bottom line is, you have to do your own research.

:cool:

Edited by ObstructedView2

"......I hate travel agents. Can't rely on them. Bottom line is, you have to do your own research....."

Perhaps just a little bit of a "generalization"? I don't think I would compare a "discount mass-market cruise booking service", like BJ's or Costco, to many of the very fine, experienced, knowledgeable, and personalized travel agencies and agents out there. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

What are your plans for boarding the ship? Are you flying or driving? If possible I would try to arrive at the pier between 10-10:30 so you are among the first to board. That way you can use the IQ app or just go to the various venues to make reservations.

As others have said, you can usually get into the shows via the standby line if you're willing to go early and wait in line. You haven't yet "missed" the rock show. The North Star also has a standby line.

We are leaving out of Bayonne and live in NJ so it's not a far drive for us. I was just confused with the North Star reservations because even the Rock show is still listed, but it shows as sold out. The North Star however, is nowhere to be found at all.

We already have all our meals booked. I was able to do that a few weeks ago. We only booked the cruise about 3 months ago. This was a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday.

We are leaving out of Bayonne and live in NJ so it's not a far drive for us. I was just confused with the North Star reservations because even the Rock show is still listed, but it shows as sold out. The North Star however, is nowhere to be found at all.

We already have all our meals booked. I was able to do that a few weeks ago. We only booked the cruise about 3 months ago. This was a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday.

NorthStar hasn't always stayed listed in my cruise planner after all the online reservations have been filled. Don't be concerned, you will be able to book once you board, just make getting your reservations a priority once you board. I have been able to get a reservation on all my sailings after I have boarded the ship. It was easy to do through the Royal IQ app. We have been able to get a reservation for about an hour after sail away which was fun since you can see NYC.

We Will Rock You will not be a problem either. Make sure you stay until the encore though to see the best song of the show.

Selection between Early, Late, Mytime dining has to be done by the TA but everything else is either through your Cruise Planner (online login) or after you get onboard.

On our cruise it was easy to use the Royal IQ app on the phone to book Northstar and most shows. Lots of folks don't show up for Northstar or show up early, so it is fairly easy to just do standby on it. The iFly and puzzle room booked up on the first day. Things like bumper cars, trapeze and roller skating you just show up (early for trapeze). Shows reservations never filled but you could also see them by showing up 15 minutes before the show (fewer seats together, though).

"......I hate travel agents. Can't rely on them. Bottom line is, you have to do your own research....."

Perhaps just a little bit of a "generalization"? I don't think I would compare a "discount mass-market cruise booking service", like BJ's or Costco, to many of the very fine, experienced, knowledgeable, and personalized travel agencies and agents out there. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

HAHA Yeah okay. "Many" is a stretch. Spend a couple days working in reservations at CCL, and see if you still think that. When they are talking to res agents, most of them don't hide the crap they are going to tell their clients. The worst were the ones that specialized in cruises... you know.. the big ones.

Go online and book the activities that are currently available. A TA is for booking a cruise, and flights and maybe (a stretch) pre or post cruise hotels. Other than that they are worthless it is up to you to take care of these details.

That said a TA that doesn’t reply to inquiries needs to be fired. Fire them and transfer your booking to a TA that replies. Do this tomorrow.

JC

For the North Star, did you look under Activities in the cruise planner?

I have been lucky enough to find a travel agent that we have been using for about 17 years. She has been a wonder as far as contact goes. Even when she is on a cruise, which seems like just about every month or so, she responds within a few hours to any emailed questions we send her. Always a decent OBC and other little goodies and when there is a price change in our favor that we can take advantage of it is done within hours.

I imagine we will have to search around for someone else if and when she retires but until then I count myself as being pretty lucky to have found her.

bosco

Download the RCCL app and when onboard, you can pretty much book anything you want (as long as the app works) versus running from venue to venue and standing in line.

Anthem uses the Royal IQ app, not the Royal app. Royal IQ app will enable him to make all his reservations once he registers in the app or he can make them at the box office.

For the North Star, did you look under Activities in the cruise planner?

First place I looked.

Update: I just looked again and now there are several activities that were not there the other day including the "Dreamworks Character Breakfast", "iFly", and now the "Northstar." All say they now have to be booked on ship. Maybe they were just down for a day while they locked everyone out or something?

Do you need to make reservations for entertainment on small ships like vision of the seas??? I assumed not but now i am concerned....

Nope, only Quantum and Oasis class ships.