Door decorations?

newcruiser58

We are cruising for the first time in 2 weeks. 2 week Alaska explorer with my in-laws. I plan on putting some very simple decorations (their first names/initials) on their door and our initials on our door. I want to do this mainly to make it easy for my in-laws to identify their room and our room easily. Will we be the only ones with any type of door decorations?

I ordered some window clings and plan on taking "puddy" to help them stick. Does this sound appropriate?

Thanks!

We sometimes see door decorations, mostly for small groups or families that are traveling together.....like yourselves. We are always on the lookout for decorated doors as it helps US navigate to OUR cabin too.

We have two flamingos we stick on our door and plan to liven then up on our wonderful 40 day cruise around South America. We are going to dress them up every few days or so and post a few funny travel quotes. We might drive our neighbors nutts and end up being put off the boat half way thru the journey but we plan to have a blast along the way.

I say......decorate away!!!

Yes, 40 days, we worked our b$tts off....took care of everyone.....now we're going to enjoy every minute!!!

Just be very careful with some of those clingy things. A few years back there were several post about them leaving a stain behind from the color bleeding through. The passengers were charged for the damage.

There are numbers on the door. Just jot down the number and deck on a piece of paper and keep those bit of junk off of the doors.

Ask Hal if they like stuff on the outside of the door. You know what they will say.

Sandra

If you want to do it go ahead and enjoy. We often put something on the door as an easy way to find our cabin.

The door numbers are consecutive. They go in order What is hard about finding your ca bin? I really don't understand why someone cannot find their cabin by checking the number by the cabin door has a number on it..

Why is it hard ?

Edited by sail7seas

Ignore the negative Nelly and go ahead with your plans to decorate. You'll be in the minority, but certainly not the only one to have decorated a cabin door.

I agree 100%.. We don't decorate our door but one year it was DH's birthday so I got the balloons. They marked our cabin beautifully.

It really depends on the ship. I've delivered a lot of meet and greet invites in my time and I've seen a number of door decorations - especially on the Prinsendam, Westerdam and Rotterdam.

Enjoy :)

I have seen no rule against it assuming you use materials that leave no residue or are not damaging. No, you will not be the only one. I have never been on a cruise that did not have some decorated doors. It is a sweet and thoughtful idea. Go for it and enjoy your cruise:D:D

I didn't realize this topic would be so polarizing!

My Father-in-law is in his 80's and I really believe it will make it easier for him to identify the rooms. That's really the only reason for it. We are celebrating their 60th anniversary and I have ordered the anniversary package with balloons and flowers.

The decorations would be minimal - 5 letters on one door and 4 on the other. I wasn't sure if magnets would work, but if they will that would be preferable.

I can't imagine the color bleeding from a window cling. Maybe those "gel" clings, but not the plastic window clings. If magnets will work then I could just make my own out of paper.

and BTW - they are in 7048 and we are in 7049 on the Zaandam - opposite sides of the ship. Not next to each other.

I actually use the Cruise Critic door sign. I bring along blue painter's tape to affix it to my stateroom door. That type of tape will not damage the door and leaves no trace of gunk.

I do put something on the outside of the mail slot. My folks are 83 and 86 and I want them to be able to see it down the hall. Many time the people on with side thank us. It helps them to know they are getting close. As an accountant (CPA), I work with numbers daily, but I have a tendency to forget or transpose our room number on vacation. I have done it on laundry ticket and bringing liquor back from port. Guess I work with numbers all day and on vacation that part of brain shuts down.

I am sure that Hal would prefer if cruisers didn't do this.
I have seen decorations on nearby rooms stay up for an entire cruise. I am sure that if HAL objected they would have insisted that they be removed. I see no harm as long as no damage is done.

If magnets will work then I could just make my own out of paper.
Magnets won't work well on most doors unless they are the strong "rare earth" type, but even weak magnets will stick well to the door frames. Edited by catl331

Go for it and do it. I have been doing it four our Holiday Cruise over Christmas and New Years for years and we have been doing that 30 years in a row with HAL and counting. What I put up for Christmas is then replaced with something different for New Years and there are always A LOT of other passengers doing the same thing. Either something hand made or decorations that obviously were purchased at Party City for example. I also over the Holidays bring some things for our cabin and a small tree that I decorate with ship ornaments and battery operated lights that serve as a night light as we never have a tree at home since we are always on a ship and this year will be no different.

Last October we did a cruise over Halloween and I did the same thing with my decorating and once again so did A LOT of others. Its always cool to see what other people come up with and on Halloween night people came prepared and dressed up in costumes, myself included. There was a costume contest and a lot of fun had by all. As we were headed in to the Pinnacle for dinner the Club HAL staff went by with the kids that were on board and they were dressed up too doing their trick & treating. I wanted to skip dinner and go with them to join in on the fun but of course I didn't.

We will be cruising over Halloween again this year and plan to do my decorations again cause I kept them.

Edited by rjbean4

Pax on the World Cruise this year (ms Amsterdam) posted that they were told to take down any door decorations they had put up or the decorations would be removed.

Why, I have no idea but this was reported on WC blogs.

Fire hazard?