Anthem upsell

Is $400.upsell charge for obstructed ocean balcony to regular ocean balcony a good deal? Haven't sailed the ship before, so not familiar with how bad the obstruction is.

It would depend on how much I paid for the cruise initially and what obstructed view cabin I booked. Some of the cabins are obstructed by davits, others by the lifeboat itself. If sitting on your balcony looking at the ocean is something you enjoy, you won't be able to do that if your cabin is one of those that looks at the side of a lifeboat. You can see standing, but you can not see the ocean at all if you are sitting.

Is $400.upsell charge for obstructed ocean balcony to regular ocean balcony a good deal? Haven't sailed the ship before, so not familiar with how bad the obstruction is.

Not a good deal for me!

We haven’t found the obstruction to be much of a problem. However, we only will take it if we save a significant amount of money. When we sailed Quantum we saved almost $1,000 so that was a no brained!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a great savings. We like to sit on our balcony and watch the world go by, so $400 to not stare at a lifeboat would be worth it for us. My Mom sailed with us on one of our Anthem cruises and she booked a studio guarantee and got an obstructed view balcony instead, so a cabin for 2 was a great upgrade from a studio. It was also our hurricane cruise, so no one was on balconies anyway.:D

Hope you are doing well. Would be nice to sail with you again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would be nice to sail with you guys again too. We just did Radiance in Alaska in May and are headed to Oasis in September. Hope to do Anthem again soon but work keeps getting in DH's way.;) You have Anthem booked again?

The ship and room number might help to find out what the obstruction is.

We’ve had unobstructed balconies three times on Anthem. The first one was directly above the outside smoking area, absolutely horrible. Lots of chatter and, well, smoke. Never had that lovely alone-on-a-vast-ocean feel we loved. Last month we had the housing that supports the lifeboat below us directly outside our balcony. It was white and gave off lots of glare. Not pleasant b

I love Anthem, but would never take a cabin below Deck 9 again. (Possibly 8 if the price was really good.)

At the time of my booking on the Anthem there was only a $50pp difference between a midship obstructed balcony and a midship non obstructing balcony I booked Non obstructed.I would not pay $400 for the up sell. It would have probably been less than $400 if you would have booked that category to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hello. watson50 here. I would look at category 2E. Cabins all the way forward on deck 7 and 8. They are giant porthole balcony cabins they are NOT obstructed. you get a perfect view. The cabins are, deck 7, port side 7110-7112-7114 starboard is 7510-7512-7514. Deck 8 port side, 8112 -8114. starboard is 8512-8514. I have read very favorable reviews of these cabins. Check them out and good luck. have sailed the Anthem before and we love this ship. Live to cruise----cruise to live. watson50 Keith:cool:

There are a number of threads on cc containing pictures of obstructed view cabins. There are also many pics available on the web if you enter Anthem plus the cabin number.

Have sailed in an ob, but did the homework so ensured ours had extended balcony and was only minimally obstructed. I don't believe obstructions (lifeboats) rise higher than the balcony railing, so you have a clear view out, just can't look directly down. The "porthole" ob's on decks 7 and 8 forward,aren't really obstructed at all.

As an alternative consider a gty. They are cheaper than ob's and if you aren't happy with your cabin assignment you can request a transfer to any other open cabin in same categorey. We did that recently and ended up with a great center ship d2.