How formal is formal dress ?

Do you have any idea on why they don't simply change the policy, instead of leaving it in writing and then just being so passive?
I guess they don't want to upset passengers.

We always dress smart and Pauline wears a different cocktail dress every night but everyone is allowed to wear what they want

We all get the same letter. It has the standard dress codes we have had for years.

I have pictures inside the Suite Lounge that clearly shows the suggestions are not enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know (to both).

We experienced the same on our Dubai cruise with Royal a couple of years ago. The dress code was stated in the compass and very much enforced. Even casual nights I would say 90% of the passengers chose to dress up and it was quite an eye opener.

I think a lot of the comments here about dress are US/Caribbean itinerary related and things can be a bit different around the world. The UK at times can also be very formal.

Yes we do dress more conservative in the UK.

I have seen people turned away on Royal for clothes on Formal Night. I believe from memory It was 2014 on Legends Of the Sea Hong Kong to Singapore. But the dress worn was very poor. If men wear slacks and a collared button shirt with shoes they should be fine and have no problems.

Now days, people in shorts and polo shirts are sitting next to people in gowns and tuxes. No one will be turned away. The daily compass explicitly states that dress codes are only "suggestions"

I was trying to remember what exactly I packed that would suffice as semi formal and couldn't remember. Had no desire to rifle through my neatly packed "cubes"....so it's off to Macy's or Ross to grab another dress...just in case....one never knows...better to be prepared!

What I think about the people who post replies like that cannot be posted on a public message board.

Thank you. I'm amazed at how some people feel the need to make themselves look better by flaming others on this board for simply asking a question. Being anonymous behind a keyboard must be nice, would love for these folks to find me on the cruise and tell me their opinions in person. I'd buy them a drink...

Thank you. I'm amazed at how some people feel the need to make themselves look better by flaming others on this board for simply asking a question. Being anonymous behind a keyboard must be nice, would love for these folks to find me on the cruise and tell me their opinions in person. I'd buy them a drink...
People have different opinions how everyone should dress.

Personally we always dress smart day and nighttime but if someone wants to be casual all the time that's their choice.

Personally we always dress smart day and nighttime but if someone wants to be casual all the time that's their choice.

Love your attitude. I wish more people had it.

Yes I agree unless you have paid money and signed a contract for passage which states a dress code. Does not matter if 5000 guests are on the ship and 4995 of them do not want to follow what the stated policy is. If the cruise line allows people to not follow the dress code stated and agreed to, then they have not met the terms of the contract for passage.

So cruise lines have two choices amend the dress codes or follow them, anything else is not providing the advertised and agreed to cruise experience. The Cruise Lines are open to claims for violating the agreed terms and false advertising of the cruise. Businesses cannot advertising something as black bring customers into the business and only offer white.

This it is not a matter of you can dress how you want, it is very clear you will follow the dress codes and show respect to the other passengers. If you do not want to follow dress codes the cruise lines give you options or you can not book the cruise.

Yes I agree unless you have paid money and signed a contract for passage which states a dress code. Does not matter if 5000 guests are on the ship and 4995 of them do not want to follow what the stated policy is. If the cruise line allows people to not follow the dress code stated and agreed to, then they have not met the terms of the contract for passage.

So cruise lines have two choices amend the dress codes or follow them, anything else is not providing the advertised and agreed to cruise experience. The Cruise Lines are open to claims for violating the agreed terms and false advertising of the cruise. Businesses cannot advertising something as black bring customers into the business and only offer white.

This it is not a matter of you can dress how you want, it is very clear you will follow the dress codes and show respect to the other passengers. If you do not want to follow dress codes the cruise lines give you options or you can not book the cruise.

That’s the crux of the issue. There is no stated policy regarding dress codes. It’s only a suggestion. No where does it indicate certain dress is required.

Respect to other passengers, for what? It’s their vacation too.

Might I suggest if you feel so strongly, that you choose a cruise line that has a dress code policy and rules, that are enforced, or choose an alternative vacation. Or simply at your own suggestion, don’t book a cruise.

Please show us where on Royals site that it is “very clear you will follow the dress codes and show respect to the other passengers.”

It is “suggested” not mandatory.

It is the consumer that has 2 choices and not the cruiseline....either sail on Royal or don’t, it’s really quite simple.

Do you have any idea on why they don't simply change the policy, instead of leaving it in writing and then just being so passive?

Celebrity who's ships are small compared to the mega ships Royal has, changed their dress code from formal to evening Chic. This is basically anything that you would wear to a club if you are under 40 such as over priced jeans and a nice shirt worn untucked. For the rest of us it's Dad kakhis and a polo shirt with the emblem of your choice. There is no way Royal can dictate what people wear on a 5000 passenger ship. They should just end the charade.

As for the comment about attracting young cruisers my son 21 and his friends all packed formal clothing for their cruise even though I told him that it wasn't necessary. I remember a time when we had to force him and his brother to wear suits and join us for dinner in the MDR on formal nights. Dressing up for the younger generation is something new to them. After many cruises and other formal occasions my wife and I are done. We will go with the flow if my son wants to dress up on our up coming cruise.

You guys read way too much into this. It comes down to one simple and fundamental rule. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!

If anyone came up to me on a cruise and was angry for the way i was dressed. I would simply laugh in your face. Because I’m cruise ship tough. Oh and by the way. I don’t even wear underwear. So take that...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You guys read way too much into this. It comes down to one simple and fundamental rule. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!

If anyone came up to me on a cruise and was angry for the way i was dressed. I would simply laugh in your face. Because I’m cruise ship tough. Oh and by the way. I don’t even wear underwear. So take that...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh dear! I've just booked our first RCCI cruise in ten years and wonder if I've made a big mistake?

I dress formally to compliment my wife's attire. She loves dressing up regardless of the dress code. We really couldn't give a "monkeys" what others choose to wear. There's no dress code for home town restaurants but we still dress smartly.

I'll happily wear Chino's and a Polo short sleeved shirt playing golf, but it's never my idea of evening attire. Far too casual for me.

We still enjoy formal night. It is IMO a celebration of the cruise. We enjoy dressing up as do many others. Perhaps not long tulle gowns and Tux, but my DH wears a suit or formal sports coat and shirt and tie. I wear cocktail attire. We also will take some pictures to remember the special evening on our cruises. Our opinion.

Enjoy your cruise.

We still enjoy formal night. It is IMO a celebration of the cruise. We enjoy dressing up as do many others. Perhaps not long tulle gowns and Tux, but my DH wears a suit or formal sports coat and shirt and tie. I wear cocktail attire. We also will take some pictures to remember the special evening on our cruises. Our opinion.

Enjoy your cruise.

Oh dear! I've just booked our first RCCI cruise in ten years and wonder if I've made a big mistake?

I dress formally to compliment my wife's attire. She loves dressing up regardless of the dress code. We really couldn't give a "monkeys" what others choose to wear. There's no dress code for home town restaurants but we still dress smartly.

I'll happily wear Chino's and a Polo short sleeved shirt playing golf, but it's never my idea of evening attire. Far too casual for me.

It clear that both of you respect others and when the ships lists a dress code you follow that code. Being social is a skill many today have lost. Guest pay thousands of dollars for cruises and want formal nights or the lines would stop them. But some others cannot show respect for guests and the ships on these formal nights and want to dress like they do in the trailer parks they live in.

It is a lack of respect and low self esteem from some who want to bring everyone down to the level they are on.

It clear that both of you respect others and when the ships lists a dress code you follow that code. Being social is a skill many today have lost. Guest pay thousands of dollars for cruises and want formal nights or the lines would stop them. But some others cannot show respect for guests and the ships on these formal nights and want to dress like they do in the trailer parks they live in.

It is a lack of respect and low self esteem from some who want to bring everyone down to the level they are on.

Wow, just wow.....

Your signature regarding how to remove gratuities says everything about your post.

Why would it be a mistake? You can wear whatever you like.:confused:
Exactly.

We dress smart but it doesn't bother us at all what other people wear.

The only thing that matters is everyone is friendly and respectful to everyone else including the wonderful crew.