What???....Momma Mia cost $79

To answer your question, it is a personal preference thing.

The play uses ABBA music to tell its story. I have seen the touring Broadway play with my wife and got through it. However I don't like ABBA music and I came of age when they were popular. I got through the touring show and thought it was well done, but had no interest on seeing it again.

Last year, when we booked Harmony, I told my wife I will prebook her a free reservation for Mama Mia. However I will not be attending with her.

She attended the show and thoroughly enjoyed the show and thought it was comparable to the touring show.

We heard from some others that they did not care for the musical and saw somewhere else on the boards that some other couples left after intermission. Can anyone share details what might make it undesirable?? Subject matter, volumn too loud?????

Oops you are right. Earlier this year we did Harmony, two years ago did a B2B on Allure and three years ago we did Oasis. Enjoyed Grease. Just got through intermission for Cats, like I said did bother to even attempt Mama Mia. ;)

Good news. Grease is playing on Harmony not Mamma Mia.

The best seats for any Musical show are those just in front of the Sound Desk, as that is where the Sound is at its best. ( Don’t tell anyone, or those seats will be filled quickly )

Shhhhhh.....don’t tell anyone about those seats... that’s where we usually sit ;)

I really enjoyed watching Mamma Mia. I preferred it over Saturday night fever on Liberty of the Seas. I was familiar with the plot and saw the movie for Mamma Mia. Not so much with the other show which could have contributed to why I didn’t like it.

For Mamma Mia, we sat about 8-10 rows back and it was fine.

Is there an orchestra backstage that’s doing the background music for the songs? While the actors were singing, there was the guy on the tv facing the stage looking like he was conducting and playing a keyboard.

I have seen several shows on broadway and I will say my favorite performance was Les Mis. My friend had managed to get 4th row center stage and that was very immersive sitting that close. I also loved Sound of Music and Rent.

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 8:12 AM, island lady said:

Actually that's OK with me if they are charging for front row seats....it keeps the "seat savers" (close relation to chair hogs) from doing their thing up there. 😉 RCI may as well make money

on saved seats. 😮

I see this coming to the pool chairs eventually. A 'fee' for a reserved/select chair that includes a drink, towel and the only autograph is the one given via signing the bar tab receipt. 

On 8/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, papaflamingo said:

To be honest, is anyone going to pay $79 to sit in the front row and see a free play? 

My preferred seating at any venue is first row balcony.   You get to see better including everything that is going on in the depth of the stage.  

Is this still an option for Mamma Mia (btw it's Mamma Mia...not Momma Mia or Mama Mia)?  What about on other ships (Symphony, Anthem, etc)?  I hope they drop this.  We love front row and lined up early for it when we were on Allure, but wouldn't pay the extra.

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Is this still an option for Mamma Mia (btw it's Mamma Mia...not Momma Mia or Mama Mia)?  What about on other ships (Symphony, Anthem, etc)?  I hope they drop this.  We love front row and lined up early for it when we were on Allure, but wouldn't pay the extra.

It was in the cruise planner for our Christmas sailing on Allure.

• Thanks 1

I have seen it in NY and in Vegas - the cast on the Allure in Oct. was without a doubt better than either. FYI - we sat in the 3rd row (we were in a full suite, but I would not sit behind royal folks again... honestly, not lying, it was fairly sickening (more like serfs than butlers, just a real turn off for us). But the show? FABULOUS! ❤️

Lynn

On 8/8/2018 at 10:17 AM, Biker19 said:

A vendor's ability to separate you from your disposable income is mostly psychological - case in point, the fake sales RCI has been running for the past 3+ years.

Ha. Waited on kids sail free promotion. Cruise went up by two hundred from the week before. Waited for sale to end and booked for original price. It's like the furniture store that's being going out of business every weekend for 12 years. 

11 hours ago, ggtjr said:

What shows are currently on which ships in the fleet? Saturday Night Fever is on Liberty on this past September cruise.

Broadway shows

Allure: Mamma Mia

Harmony: Grease

Oasis: Cats

Symphony: Hairspray

Indy: Grease

Liberty: Saturday Night Fever

Anthem: We Will Rock You

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Broadway shows

Allure: Mamma Mia

Harmony: Grease

Oasis: Cats

Symphony: Hairspray

Indy: Grease

Liberty: Saturday Night Fever

Anthem: We Will Rock You

I wonder if I’m the only person who actually hopes Cats is still on Oasis when we plan to go in 2020 🙂. I’ve had friends who’ve seen it on land, who hated it... but I’d really love to see it for “free” 🙂

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I wonder if I’m the only person who actually hopes Cats is still on Oasis when we plan to go in 2020 🙂. I’ve had friends who’ve seen it on land, who hated it... but I’d really love to see it for “free” 🙂

So far they have changed every broadway show at the 5 year drydock so I doubt it will still be on.  I’m in the other camp.  We are sailing December 2019 and are hoping for something new.

13 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I see this coming to pool chairs eventually. A 'fee' for a reserved/select chair that includes a drink, towel and the only autograph is the one given via signing the bar tab receipt. 

LOL...wouldn't bother me there.  I never use the poolside deck lounge chairs.  I have a dedicated chair with sweeping water front view reserved just for me the entire cruise.  I even have free wine delivered to me when I snap my fingers.  Nice having private space on your own balcony, and a sweet/thoughtful DH!  😉 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I would love to see it, it is one of those I too have never gotten around to seeing. I understand how people are a bit unsure about it, It is one of those shows you realize is one of the most popular shows in the history of Broadway, but you secretly wonder why! 😂 It is certainly unexpected, a musical about a community of cats with segments pulled from the writings of  T. S. Eliot.  I assume, though, that there is a good reason it is considered one of the best musicals in history! And you don’t even have to get all dolled up and deal with a drive there and back, a perfect way to enjoy theater! 🤩

Lynn

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I would love to see it, it is one of those I too have never gotten around to seeing. I understand how people are a bit unsure about it, It is one of those shows you realize is one of the most popular shows in the history of Broadway, but you secretly wonder why! 😂 It is certainly unexpected, a musical about a community of cats with segments pulled from the writings of  T. S. Eliot.  I assume, though, that there is a good reason it is considered one of the best musicals in history! And you don’t even have to get all dolled up and deal with a drive there and back, a perfect way to enjoy theater! 🤩

Lynn

We saw it years ago, as a land based traveling broadway show.  Enjoyed it, but it was very long.  I think that is where many people might have the problem, being it is just too long to sit through it all.  

Edited by island lady

I did the Insider Preview of Mamma Mia on Allure in October. While I did enjoy meeting the 4 cast members that came out, I was severely disappointed that they considered meeting just 4 of the 24 cast members to be any sort of "meet & greet with the cast". I would never do it again. A waste of money. You'll see the cast members around the ship anyway. And I suppose the second annoyance was the ticket said we had reserved seats available in rows 2, 3 and 4. It was really just rows 3 and 4 because all of row 2 was set aside for suite guests, in addition to row 1 (and both rows got filled).

There were only 9 people who did the insider preview for the performance I saw.

The "autographed photo" wasn't the most legible autographed photo I'd ever gotten, but did at least seem to have the signatures /scribbles from all the cast, not just the 4 who came out in person.

5 hours ago, dswallow said:

I did the Insider Preview of Mamma Mia on Allure in October. While I did enjoy meeting the 4 cast members that came out, I was severely disappointed that they considered meeting just 4 of the 24 cast members to be any sort of "meet & greet with the cast". I would never do it again. A waste of money. You'll see the cast members around the ship anyway. And I suppose the second annoyance was the ticket said we had reserved seats available in rows 2, 3 and 4. It was really just rows 3 and 4 because all of row 2 was set aside for suite guests, in addition to row 1 (and both rows got filled).

The "autographed photo" wasn't the most legible autographed photo I'd ever gotten, but did at least seem to have the signatures /scribbles from all the cast, not just the 4 who came out in person.

I wondered about that insider option - I thought it seemed too expensive for what it was (imho) and thought DH would roll his eyes anyway. Odd on the seating problem - we were in an OS, and the sky seating was actually slightly higher up, but only the first two middle rows were set off for Royal and all other suites were either behind or in the official suites section further up. I suppose it depends on how many are onboard, but our sailing was full so I assumed that was the way it always is.

sorry to hear it was so disappointing though 🙁

Lynn

7 hours ago, dswallow said:

10 people a week @ $80 x 52 weeks x 6 ships is about $250,000.  No wonder Royal offers these money grabs.  Enough people bite to make it worthwhile.

21 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I think John is also one who loves to see CATS.