Does Participating on Cruise Critic Roll Calls Make Your Cruise More Enjoyable?

I like connecting with other cruisers before the cruise, my overall consensus is that this make for a more pleasant cruise!

Cruise enthusiasts are great people.

....only if you then meet them on board and perhaps spend some time with them. Otherwise, I'm not sure how talking with them on a roll call does anything to make the cruise more pleasant.

But you have succeeded in starting yet another thread, so enjoy the conversation. :)

....only if you then meet them on board and perhaps spend some time with them. Otherwise, I'm not sure how talking with them on a roll call does anything to make the cruise more pleasant.

But you have succeeded in starting yet another thread, so enjoy the conversation. :)

One of these days I'll get to Philly and enjoy one of those Cheese Steak sandwiches.....yummy (void here in CA)

I enjoy a good roll call. I am grateful for the info you can get from other cruisers. (got a great hotel price last cruise) I also just like to chat. I haven't met most at the roll call though and mine for this cruise is pretty much going no where. Besides, in roll call the people are usually really nice. Not so much on the regular boards.

Insofar as the exchange of information makes planning easier, and the sharing of private excursions can make for highly enjoyable port days, then yes, participation in the roll calls does increase our enjoyment of our cruises.

One of these days I'll get to Philly and enjoy one of those Cheese Steak sandwiches.....yummy (void here in CA)

They’re OK, but nothing beats a humble North Carolina butter steak sandwich - paper thin shaved steak fried and served on a well buttered, lightly toasted hamburger bun.

Being on an active roll call definitely makes my cruise more enjoyable. Since I cruise solo it allows me to "meet" some of my fellow cruisers in advance - by the time I get on the ship I feel like I already know quite a few people. Also, I have been on some excellent excursions that were planned on the roll call.

For me the Roll Call is more about sharing information before the Cruise and my planning of the Cruise - less about meeting new people. As an European and Dane I might be a bit more ‘reserved’ than most of my American cruise fellows. I tend to stay together with the people I’m traveling with rather than ‘Meet & Mingle’ - the same for the lounges during day/evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I enjoy being part of a roll call for every cruise, especially since getting answers to questions and gaining lots of useful info has definitely enhanced every one of my cruises.

It's fun to actually get to meet some of the folks I have been chatting with online when going to the M&Gs, and some of those online friends have become long term friends that I stay in touch with all year round and have proceeded to cruise with multiple times.

It can do. Sometimes my real life friends get sick of hearing me banging on about how many weeks there is to go until my next cruise. So, the Roll Call comes in handy for that.

Also, if you want you can arrange to meet and do private excursions which can save $$$ - this is ideal if you are a solo or a couple.

It's nice also to feel like you "know" a couple of people

HOWEVER, I have been on vacations where I didn't want to do any of the above. I just wanted to be with my husband, so I wasn't active on the board and that was equally as nice.

So, my answer Yes - but not always!

There was a time when I did join in the Roll Calls. Still keep in contact with a few people we met.

But when the Roll Calls changed to wanting to play games, set up cabin crawls, etc., I didn't bother with them any more.

^^^This^^^

I also quit doing the meet and greets because I had three in a row where they were a bust. That said, I am on a roll call for our January cruise and (I know it's a ways out) it's very slow.

I find roll calls informative. But again, it depends on the people who participate. Those dang auto posts, that are mostly one time posters, or those who actually start the roll call year or more out, then either cancel or switch cruises, gives a false number who is actually sailing. So if your roll call says 25 are sailing, there could only be less than 20 sailing. Trying to keep a roll call active sometimes can be a real challenge. As for the activities planned...the usual...slot pull, cabin crawl etc. I find myself that the slot pull could be profitable (as of now, not) you put your $15 in a pot with say 20 others now you have a good chance of getting a little back. As for the cabin crawl, if I have never sailed a ship before, I would be interested in seeing the other cabin types, so, going forward, I can decide if that cabin would be right for me. Example..on the CB, I checked out the suites, I didn't care for them, the decor was pretty dismal. As for the window suites, they were more updated bright and in a pretty good area, but I like my balcony. So, if they would appoint the regular suites that way, I might consider booking one. On the Regal, I saw a Penthouse suite, nice, I would book one if I had the chance. And on the Regal/Royal they have balconies and deluxe balconies...I've had both, I really don't care for the deluxe balcony, by putting in that small "sofa" they took away storage space. Not worth the money I say.

The best thing of a roll call M&G is that you have the option of participating or not..not your thing, fine, no one holds it against you.

At my first M&G, there was a gift exchange, I have never heard of it, I was so disappointed that I didn't participate, now I do, and I have gotten some really great stuff. AND memories.

So up to you. Yes, I do enjoy a good roll call before my cruise, and Yes, I do enjoy meeting them on board..IF perchance we do strike up a friendship, we continue by emails in the future and maybe some day we will cruise together again.

I enjoy joining the Roll Calls. I just enjoy the casual chat. Also, though, I do learn stuff.

I do not think I can characterize a "typical Roll Call." Some seem to have a lot of activity. Some seem to have little activity. Some seem to have people who enjoy having organizational responsibilities. Some have people who, mostly, want to do their own thing--maybe they'll join in an activity, maybe they won't.

For the most part, the common bond among those who join Roll Calls is that they enjoy cruising. Beyond that, they are as different from each other as most people are.

Our Oasis of the Seas roll call was good. One of our members had an Aqua Suite. An Aqua Suite balcony can hold about 50 people, many chairs, picnic tables, just incredible. It is aft, wraps from the sea side all around to the interior boardwalk, with views of the huge Aqua screen and the party down there.

They invited the entire roll call to their suite for the sail away. About 30 of us went.

Talk about a unique sail away. Absolutely nothing like it. Very memorable.

I am active in roll call, the best was our Europe cruise 2 years ago, 12 day cruise with 9 ports we meet many of them in Barcelona before cruise and did private tours with friends from roll call in almost all the ports.

There was a time when I did join in the Roll Calls. Still keep in contact with a few people we met.

But when the Roll Calls changed to wanting to play games, set up cabin crawls, etc., I didn't bother with them any more.

Like :D and agree.

Hank

For me -- it all depends on the itinerary. Sure, if it's a short, port-intensive cruise, who has time for that sort of thing? On the other hand, our '12 San Diego to Hawaii round trip had more days at sea than on land. And, a Pacific crossing in April isn't exactly ideal 'pool' weather. If our r/c hadn't been pro-active, organizing things like cabin crawls and slot pulls -- I think that some of us would have gone 'stir crazy'!:eek: