Captains Club rip off?

stephencarr5

Is the Celebrity Cruises Captains Club a Rip Off?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Celebrity Cruises Captains Club a Rip Off?

• Yes - Captains Club is a Rip Off
    • No - Captains Club is worth it

Anything that gives you a freebie is a benefit. Use a coupon and save 50 cents at the grocery store when you buy toilet paper? That's a benefit. And it cost you nothing - just like Captain's Club benefits.

That said, those of us who sail in the cheap seats do feel unhappy with the CC sometimes. We've sailed over 40 days with X and still can't get to the Elite Level; therefore, we ARE loyal customers who get nothing.

Anything that gives you a freebie is a benefit. Use a coupon and save 50 cents at the grocery store when you buy toilet paper? That's a benefit. And it cost you nothing - just like Captain's Club benefits.

That said, those of us who sail in the cheap seats do feel unhappy with the CC sometimes. We've sailed over 40 days with X and still can't get to the Elite Level; therefore, we ARE loyal customers who get nothing.

It took me 64 sailing nights to reach Elite (on my most recent cruise). My average cruise length was 12.8 nights. Friends who always book suites made Elite long ago, but I’m not upset. They spent more money and got there faster. Haven’t you used your Select benefits?

Our last three RCL group bookings have been made in the UK as all three were cheaper than booking in the US. One was considerably cheaper. All perks etc were factored in to the real price.

In short, smart cruisers should treat each individual booking on its own merits. ;)

No experience with group bookings, only individual. One time a booking via the UK was the best price, viva voyage! ;)

Prices in The Netherlands are almost always higher and receive less if any perks. :(

Friends who always book suites made Elite long ago, but I’m not upset.They spent more money and got there faster.

Personally I hate this as spending more money does not make you loyal. I could cruise 3 times a year in an inside or ocean view cabin as opposed to someone cruising once a year in a suite and still not have as many points.

The reason they pay more is because they are getting many suite perks and a better stateroom.

If could afford to book a suite I would. I can see them getting an extra point but they get like 4 times or more points than an inside and ocean view cabins.

In reality they should stop calling it a loyalty program because it isn't.

No experience with group bookings, only individual. One time a booking via the UK was the best price, viva voyage! ;)

Prices in The Netherlands are almost always higher and receive less if any perks. :(

I meant the RCL group of companies. Meaning I've booked Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises. Hope that makes sense. :)

Personally I hate this as spending more money does not make you loyal. I could cruise 3 times a year in an inside or ocean view cabin as opposed to someone cruising once a year in a suite and still not have as many points.

The reason they pay more is because they are getting many suite perks and a better stateroom.

If could afford to book a suite I would. I can see them getting an extra point but they get like 4 times or more points than an inside and ocean view cabins.

In reality they should stop calling it a loyalty program because it isn't.

It’s the same as any other loyalty (aka incentive) program. It’s just like airline, hotel, and credit card incentive programs. The more you spend, the faster you climb the loyalty incentive ladder. I too would book suites if my budget allowed it, but I have to make a choice between more frequent travel in Non-suites, or less frequent travel in suites. My travel wish list is long, so it’s non-suites for me.

I look as this in a different way. On a recent cruise, I had a 1A Veranda while friends had an S1 Sky suite. They paid almost twice what I paid and, excepting Luminae and Michael’s Club, we four enjoyed exactly the same fabulous cruise and ship amenities. I’m quite happy with my choice because it enabled me to leave money in my travel budget for future travel.

It took me 64 sailing nights to reach Elite (on my most recent cruise). My average cruise length was 12.8 nights. Friends who always book suites made Elite long ago, but I’m not upset. They spent more money and got there faster. Haven’t you used your Select benefits?

I MISSPOKE! 40+ days on X and we're still CLASSIC.

Goody.. We get a free scoop of gelato. :rolleyes:

DEmand a complete refund of your membership fee at once!

When we joined you did have to pay. We were called Founder Classic members. After they took the fee off we received OBC on our on board account the next time we sailed reimbursing us for what we had paid.

The OP has paid nothing, yet still feels ripped off? Thats what is beyond understanding:confused:

Unless they checked the wrong box, at least 3 people agreed with them. Imagine what they would have said if they actually paid a Dollar, Pound or Euro.

I MISSPOKE! 40+ days on X and we're still CLASSIC.

Goody.. We get a free scoop of gelato. :rolleyes:

OK. I understand. If you’re getting two points per night, it’s going to take 75 nights to reach Select. But are you not paying significantly lower fares than Veranda or above? If I could book Inside or Ocean View cabins, I would happily pay full laundry and internet prices and I’d still have extra money to burn. However, my susceptibility to motion sickness precludes that strategy.

OK. I understand. If you’re getting two points per night, it’s going to take 75 nights to reach Select. But are you not paying significantly lower fares than Veranda or above? If I could book Inside or Ocean View cabins, I would happily pay full laundry and internet prices and I’d still have extra money to burn. However, my susceptibility to motion sickness precludes that strategy.

Yes, we book whatever cabin is required to get the perks. We are in the cabin to sleep, take showers, naps and change clothes. We've sailed with a balcony a few times because of upgrades. We barely used the thing.

Internet is of zero interest to us when we are on board ship. I can get my fill when we are in port (and our T-Mobile plan offers free data for most foreign countries).

The laundry thing just pisses me off - not because I'm unwilling to pay for it. But because it's so overpriced. I. Celebrity's price of $50 for a bag of twenty (thirty?) items feels like I'm buying an $8 can of baked beans at the grocery store. I wish they had self service laundry, but they don't and I've accepted that. But at least keep the prices of laundry competitive and not ridiculous.

• NCL charges between $20 and $30 for bag that you can fill to the top, regardless of the number of items.
  • HAL (I think) charges $30 for a large bag.
  • Hell, even RCCL charges less - $35 for a fill it with all you can deal.
  • Princess has self-service at $3.00 a load.
  • Azmara - Free self-service.

I know, it's a small thing. But we only travel with carry-on. For 10-11 days in a warm climate, we can make do with what we have and wash a few things in the sink. If we do a land trip pre or post cruise, it's EASY to find a wash-and-fold (and we've done that on B2B's).

Don’t get mad, just cruise another line until you find something reasonable to you!!!

Personally, the last thing I want to do on a cruise is laundry...I also wash out a lot of my things and hang them on my clothesline, but that is me. My DH and I are Elite and close to Elite+. My next cruise will put me 9 points away! I could complain, but it is what it is! Life is too short to choose to be unhappy; if your glass is half full, get it topped off!!!! I choose to be happy with my perks...!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

We enjoy our balcony, laundry and internet perks, etc. and the discount price of AQ 2 for an AQ 1 cabin if we choose one.

One solution to laundry pricing issue is to bring more clothes and handwash....so many lighweight fabrics that travel well and wash out and dry easily

We have.cruised any times with X and spent alot of $ to get to E +.

Happy to get the perks!

I don't know what makes you think inside cabins are worse for motion sickness. Inside and low on the ship and in the middle is the best way to avoid motion. Verandas and higher up cause more motion. Sounds like you are rationalizing to ensure you buy a veranda.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Despite the overwhelming responses voting that the Captain’s Club is not a ripoff, the fact that you started the poll at all means that YOU think it’s a ripoff. That’s all that matters. If you feel that way, then don’t partake in the perks offered. They’re certainly not going to change anything based on THESE results.

I don't know what makes you think inside cabins are worse for motion sickness. Inside and low on the ship and in the middle is the best way to avoid motion. Verandas and higher up cause more motion. Sounds like you are rationalizing to ensure you buy a veranda.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How dare YOU tell ME WHAT I experience, or WHEN or WHERE I experience it. You’ll find many people who need fresh air when motion sickness strikes. Of course I book midship, but location wasn’t under discussion. Verandas cause more motion? Seriously?

......Inside and low on the ship and in the middle is the best way to avoid motion. Verandas and higher up cause more motion......

.......You’ll find many people who need fresh air when motion sickness strikes.......

After taking away a bit of the anger portions, you are both right.

Movements of the ship, forward/aft pitching, and port/starboard rolling are the main culprits of motion sickness. The lower decks midship reduces the motion felt. Moving into the middle of a ship will also reduce it, and that requires a inside cabin. And for some people, seeing the horizon moving can add to the imbalance felt, leading to motion sicknesses. To recover, they may need rest on a quiet, dark room.

So an Inside midship lower deck (3?) would be the best.

For many others, certainly the ship’s movements cause motion sickness but seeing the horizon and the outside to give them a reference instead of being in an enclosed space such as an inside cabin helps control the internal imbalance and a lower midship oceanview or even better, a balcony to step,out on and get fresh air is best.

See? We can all now be a happy family throwing up in our cabin of choice!

Den

When we joined you did have to pay. We were called Founder Classic members. After they took the fee off we received OBC on our on board account the next time we sailed reimbursing us for what we had paid.
I didn't realize that used to be a charge. Just out of curiosity, do you recall what the cost was?

Does anybody know the logic or reason behind allowing a captain's Club upgrade from A2 to A1, but not allowing an upgrade from C2 to C1?

Location, location, location! C1 aft cabins on M class ships are some of the best for balcony size and views on the ship, bar the FV & PH. Aqua was introduced to sell the less desirable position cabins - even Aqua cheerleaders often don’t take the A1 upgrade and stay with the A2 because of their location ;).

No, it is not a ripoff because nobody is forcing me to participate in the Captain's Club and I am not being charged a membership fee to belong.

I don't always approve of the way that the Captain's Club does everything, and certainly would like to see them do some things differently.

However, I recognize that they have the right to decide how they want to do things and that their choices are not dependent upon my approval.

My choices are to accept what they offer, or reject what they offer, or take my business elsewhere.

(And I confess that there have been times when I have done some of each.)