Beware of UBP parasites

dcruiser50

I have met many wonderful friends, who are still Facebook friends, on cruises.

I have never had anybody ask me to get them a drink when they were not on the drink package. I’ve also never asked for nor accepted a drink from anybody on the drink package when I was on the “sale away” rate!

Many times when cruising with family members, the bartenders get accustomed to seeing us together

and know that we are both on the drink package, so they will prepare both our drinks and put them on our respective cards without making both of us come up to the bar.

This was really helpful in my case because I’m mobility impaired and it was nice of the bartenders to save me the extra standing and walking.

The bartenders quickly understand who's who, and what's going on.

I don't believe this scam, that the OP is talking about, would last.:cool:

Nothing to see here.

How is offering someone a drink on my package stealing? Can someone explain that? Let me just clear something up, people don’t ask for drinks if we offer to someone we just met who happens not to have the UBP that is not stealing. It’s our package and if choose to buy someone a drink that’s our choice and not stealing. Like how much alcohol can you drink on a cruise [emoji568]. Now for those who get the sail away cabin and then seek out people with the UBP that’s scheming.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you serious?

Next time you fly you might want to buy one seat in first class and one in coach. Then the person in coach can go hang out in first class. Let's see how long that lasts!

Drink packages are for one. You can call "sharing" it stealing, cheating, etc.

How is offering someone a drink on my package stealing?

Can someone explain that?

Let me just clear something up, people don’t ask for drinks if we offer to someone we just met who happens not to have the UBP that is not stealing.

It’s our package and if choose to buy someone a drink that’s our choice and not stealing. Like how much alcohol can you drink on a cruise [emoji568].

Now for those who get the sail away cabin and then seek out people with the UBP that’s scheming.

If you wish to offer someone a drink, ask your bartender/waiter for clearance,

so everything is honest and respectable.

Sometimes, how much you tip makes it more honest.(sarcasm)

Edited by $hip$hape

Actually that is a common misconception...... the SDP T&Cs state that "Charges will apply for additional main course orders" and does not state you are limited to one appetizer and one dessert. Since it specifically mentions "main course" and purposely ommits appetizer and dessert there is no limit.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

We sailed on the Star last December and ate three times at à la carte specialty restaurants (twice at Le Bistro and once at Cagney's), each time with a different server. Unless all three servers were lying/misinformed, it's now one appetizer and dessert per person only.

How is offering someone a drink on my package stealing? Can someone explain that? Let me just clear something up, people don’t ask for drinks if we offer to someone we just met who happens not to have the UBP that is not stealing. It’s our package and if choose to buy someone a drink that’s our choice and not stealing. Like how much alcohol can you drink on a cruise [emoji568]. Now for those who get the sail away cabin and then seek out people with the UBP that’s scheming.

The drinks ordered on each package are for individual consumption only.

I don't need a wall of word salad to be clear on this.

I don't believe it is true. Maybe some weird guy has done it once, but as a whole, I don't see it being a real thing. There are weird people everywhere, but to ask someone to buy you a drink?? I just can't imagine.

The bartenders quickly understand who's who, and what's going on.

I don't believe this scam, that the OP is talking about, would last.:cool:

Nothing to see here.

Let me welcome you both to the world of CC where everyone has to state their righteous indignation about hypotheticals and rarely seens. It's clearly good to express moral superiority .:p

We sailed on the Star last December and ate three times at à la carte specialty restaurants (twice at Le Bistro and once at Cagney's), each time with a different server. Unless all three servers were lying/misinformed, it's now one appetizer and dessert per person only.
Since your experience was the same ship and the same restaurants it's not unreasonable to expect the same answer from different staff since the same management interpret the T&Cs.

My experience on the Dawn a month ago, in Cagney's, was similar until I asked for the maitre de and pointed out the T&Cs....... I then ordered 2 appetizers, one entree and 2 desserts.

The link I provided to you earlier is from the NCL website as of today. It's not a big deal but the staff are misinformed and passengers are accepting the answer

Wow that’s bad. My husband and I choose the UBP every time we cruise and it’s reverse he seeks out people who don’t have the UBP and offers them drinks God bless❤️. Those parasites are users. Stay blessed.

Due respect but your hubby is an enabler and the essence of his largesse is that he is stealing from NCL. Giving away other people's stuff is not generosity.

Normally it works in a different way. Someone without a drink package pays for their drinks, later in the cruise when you hang out at the same bar the bartenders just grab the UBP cards and all is good. The last cruises I got the feeling the staff is even caring less as long as they get one card for every two drinks regardless if the people even know each other.

Is long as you don't insult them by acting like you trick the staff they are cool about it.

Been a couple of years since our last cruise, but I would agree with this 100%. We tended to hang out near one of the pool bars. As long as they weren't getting in trouble, they couldn't have cared less. And people who tip extra will always get taken care of.

While I truly believe the person who posted earlier they saw someone's UBP taken away, I have to believe they really went out of their way to abuse it. Despite what we may think, no one is really watching the Security cameras all the time. Otherwise they would be immediately taking action when someone went overboard, and we know that sadly it is not the case. I have to assume the people were real jerks to the staff and probably to Security when something was said about it. Plus, NCL isn't stupid. They know there are some free drinks getting poured, it happens at every bar on the planet that has draft beer and liquor bottles. Unless you are strictly serving bottle/can beer or have some measuring device on the liquor bottles/kegs then it is impossible to keep a completely accurate drink count.

. Unless you are strictly serving bottle/can beer or have some measuring device on the liquor bottles/kegs then it is impossible to keep a completely accurate drink count.

Don't some RCL ships have a robo type bar?

. Unless you are strictly serving bottle/can beer or have some measuring device on the liquor bottles/kegs then it is impossible to keep a completely accurate drink count.

Don't some RCL ships have a robo type bar?

I seem to recall something about that, but is that every bar? Plus I suspect it is more of a novelty than a reality. Labor on a cruise line is so cheap, it is probably one of the few places where automation doesn't save money.

And no way I'm giving a robot 15, 18 or 20%. I'd really complain about a gratuity or service fee by a robot bartender.

As long as they ( the waiters) weren't getting in trouble, they couldn't have cared less.

And people who tip extra will always get taken care of.

'nuff said.

NCL isn't stupid.

NCL knows there are some free drinks getting poured,

it happens at every bar on the planet.

Sorry for shortening your post.

:cool::p

At a cocktail function I witnessed a man who would wait for someone to abandon their drink and then pick it up for himself so he didn't end up paying for any drinks.

This probably happens more often than people notice.

That is pathologically cheap. And if someone was so cheap/thirsty/tacky as to do that, I’d look the other way from embarrassment FOR them.

At a cocktail function I witnessed a man who would wait for someone to abandon their drink

and then pick it up for himself so he didn't end up paying for any drinks.

What a way to spend time on a cruise !

(searching out cheapskates)

I find you pathetic.:)

More so with your sign in "Something fun"

Edited by $hip$hape

That is pathologically cheap. And if someone was so cheap/thirsty/tacky as to do that, I’d look the other way from embarrassment FOR them.

It was even worse. I caught on to his drink scheme after I saw him bagging up food to take home later from the free buffet during the middle of the event.

It is a yearly event. I am sure it is already on his calendar for next year.:eek::eek::eek:

At a cocktail function I witnessed a man who would wait for someone to abandon their drink

and then pick it up for himself so he didn't end up paying for any drinks.

What a way to spend time on a cruise !

I find you pathetic.

At a cocktail function I witnessed ....

What a way to spend time on a cruise ! There was no mention of a cruise

I find you pathetic. NASTY way to talk about the commentor.

It was even worse. I caught on to his drink scheme after I saw him bagging up food to take home later from the free buffet during the middle of the event.

It is a yearly event. I am sure it is already on his calendar for next year.:eek::eek::eek:

We're definitely getting into mental illness here. The dude probably tries drying out used paper towels and re-using his toilet paper as well.

Since your experience was the same ship and the same restaurants it's not unreasonable to expect the same answer from different staff since the same management interpret the T&Cs.

My experience on the Dawn a month ago, in Cagney's, was similar until I asked for the maitre de and pointed out the T&Cs....... I then ordered 2 appetizers, one entree and 2 desserts.

The link I provided to you earlier is from the NCL website as of today. It's not a big deal but the staff are misinformed and passengers are accepting the answer

I don't know if it is just platinum dining, but on our "ticket" it said only one entree and one dessert. Maybe with dining package it is different.

I don't know if it is just platinum dining, but on our "ticket" it said only one entree and one dessert. Maybe with dining package it is different.

You have hit the "nail on the head". That is the difference between the Platinum Perk and the Dining Package.