Body Cameras worn by RCCL crew

Just saw this on a recent compass. Some crew members will be wearing body cameras for the safety of passengers.

I personally think this is a little invasive but if it’s limited to a few security crew members then I suppose it wouldn’t cause too much of a ruckus.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be invasive if they were filming you in the privacy of your cabin without your knowledge. Crewmembers wearing them will be in public spaces. Even if a crewmember came to your cabin wearing one, you would be informed, it's very obvious and it wouldn't be covert. This protects everyone. There have been too many cases of "he said she said" over the years and witnesses aren't always accurate or honest and a lot of time have their own agendas.

Doesn't bother me..just don't try to sell it me as "for the safety of the passengers"....its strictly to protect RCI and their employees...good luck if you think you would be ever able to see or use the video on those cameras as a customer of RCI if something came up.

I believe it is mostly for RCI's protection too but also for the passengers. My family had an incident on Harmony in a passenger corridor and the camera footage got the guy confined to his cabin until we arrived in FLL and authorities retrieved him. Our story matched exactly what the video showed so that's why they confined him. His story was quite different from ours.Without the video it is he-said she-said.

BTW they offered to show us the video and I watched it. The authorities got a copy of it as well.

I believe it is mostly for RCI's protection too but also for the passengers. My family had an incident on Harmony in a passenger corridor and the camera footage got the guy confined to his cabin until we arrived in FLL and authorities retrieved him. Our story matched exactly what the video showed so that's why they confined him. His story was quite different from ours.Without the video it is he-said she-said.

BTW they offered to show us the video and I watched it. The authorities got a copy of it as well.

Sad to hear that happened to you, but glad to hear it got dealt with. I only hope it did not disrupt your cruise too much and were able to bounce back and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

BTW, just for statistical purposes, I also have no problems with security personnel wearing body cams. I've been using dash cams on my vehicles for years.

dp

I don't have time to dig this up right now, but AFAIK you agree that RC can video you and use your image as part of your contract. The wording is more applicable to marketing and things like the Cruise in Review video, but probably doesn't specify when and how they can use any video they take. That's been in place for a long time, it's just more obvious now.

Just saw this on a recent compass. Some crew members will be wearing body cameras for the safety of passengers.

I personally think this is a little invasive but if it’s limited to a few security crew members then I suppose it wouldn’t cause too much of a ruckus.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not new, Body Cams been on board at least since last year. Cameras are everywhere on ship and have been for years... World we live in, not going change

It's not like you have a choice? (or you could cruise on another line)

Cameras are everywhere in the world. I'm not sure they make everyday life safer. If cameras prevented crime, banks and convenience stores would be the safest places on earth. Passengers still fall or jump overboard.

I'd wager 99% of all video shot on a cruise ship is never seen by a human being.

Hate to say it, but not everyone is perfect & the body cams are there to protect EVERYONE! Given the instance above, it would appear that the body cam caught someone doing 'bad things' - Body cams and security cameras have been the norm in our society.

I like that they give us the "heads-up" if they need to enter your cabin, but you should already know that every single public space on board has a camera watching!!

Sad to hear that happened to you, but glad to hear it got dealt with. I only hope it did not disrupt your cruise too much and were able to bounce back and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

BTW, just for statistical purposes, I also have no problems with security personnel wearing body cams. I've been using dash cams on my vehicles for years.

dp

Thank you for the kind words. Luckily it happened with only 2 days left of our back to back. But, sadly, it did ruin those days and left us with a bad memory of an otherwise great family cruise. It was in 2016 and my youngest girl who was 12 was affected the most (would not leave our side after the incident) and both of them backed out of the cruise we went on last year. This year we will be taking a family cruise again and, hopefully, they will put the memory of the old pervert exposing himself to us out of their minds and enjoy the experience.

I am thankful for the cameras. I also want a dash cam - I put it on my christmas wish list:D

On a recent cruise I called security around 3 a.m. when the cabin next to me was hAving a party on their balcony. Seriously loud music and talking. It was super loud. Normally I’d ignore it but no one could sleep. We noticed that they also were smoking on their balcony and throwing the cigs overboard. After an hour of this , we called guest services.

Security came to our room and asked if they could come in to witness it via our balcony. We said yes. They immediately mentioned they had cameras on them before entering our room. We said okay.

(We didn’t mind at all. They saw the cigarettes and immediately went next door. I could hear the people defending themselves but once the security mentioned the cigarettes ...they were quiet.)

I'm not sure what the purpose is. However, I really don't like that everything we do now is always on a camera. We are giving up our privacy because Big Brother is watching. And, no I have nothing to hide. You give an inch and they take a mile.

Big brother is not watching you. You cant be so interesting like 99.9 % of us, that you are being tracked by the all seeing eye [emoji872].

I’m freaking boring, I’m like a human sleeping pill. Let em watch. [emoji42]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last month on Harmony. I needed to have my safe unlocked when we arrived 1st day (locked by previous person).

Security had to come & she identified herself & that she was wearing a body camera.

I had no problem with it.

As mentioned, there are security cameras everywhere anyway.

It’s in a public place, video taping is allowed in public spaces. Of course, if someone enters your cabin, they must make you aware of it since that is your space. There are cameras everywhere these days. I have zero issues with it.

We are on surveillance 24/7 now with cameras at traffic lights, malls and parking lots. Your never know who's recording snapping something with their phone that you may get captured in just by being in the background. The ship has cameras all over as well. The few body cameras that security wears doesn't bother me in the least. Just remember to smile because you're on Candid Camera.

Thank you for the kind words. Luckily it happened with only 2 days left of our back to back. But, sadly, it did ruin those days and left us with a bad memory of an otherwise great family cruise. It was in 2016 and my youngest girl who was 12 was affected the most (would not leave our side after the incident) and both of them backed out of the cruise we went on last year. This year we will be taking a family cruise again and, hopefully, they will put the memory of the old pervert exposing himself to us out of their minds and enjoy the experience.

I am thankful for the cameras. I also want a dash cam - I put it on my christmas wish list:D

All I can say is... Ewwwwe. I do hope that your next cruise will make up for it and turn cruising into positive memories. I don't want to make light of things but I think your story just ruined it for the image of Royal Caribbean bath robes :o

Your story is one good example for the need of surveillance in public spaces (Or room hallways). My own DD is now 14 and I can't even imagine how she would react to such a situation.

I wish you the best of luck on your next cruise.

dp

Big brother is not watching you. You cant be so interesting like 99.9 % of us, that you are being tracked by the all seeing eye [emoji872].

I’m freaking boring, I’m like a human sleeping pill. Let em watch. [emoji42]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amen!

I also see this on the Compass from my recent Oasis cruise.

Wondering when they go to the restroom, do they leave their camera on ?

Or even if they are instructed to turn off their camera when they use the restroom, they may forgot to do so

They don't use public restrooms -- only crew facilities.

What would it even matter if they DID leave it on in a restroom -- your "privates" are behind a stall door (or, for a man at a urinal, hidden from view with your back turned).

That's why I never understood why people get bent out of shape over someone being in the "wrong" restroom... you can't see anything private in there anyway!

And the camera points forward, not down, so you're not going to see the privates of the person wearing the camera, either.

Put me firmly in the "not invasive, don't have a problem with it" category.