Telling room stewards told to hawk Carnival merchandise is wrong!

twodjs

I'll add my two cents. Have sailed on 20+ Carnival cruises. Never had a room steward hawk an item, ever. In fact, I was kinda surprised to read others say this has happened. Not sure how much of this I believe.

At the end of the day, if asked, I would politely say, "No thank you".

Not normal. I have never encountered, but would have no problem saying no and without guilt.

And it is a huge leap to blame Carnival for the alleged actions of one individual. We are not happy with your allegation.

You still have not explained who “we” is. Care to elaborate?

In all our cruises, this has never happened on Carnival.

But... last month we were on RCI Freedom of the Seas, and without a doubt we were asked by no less than 10 employees about buying a specialty dining package!!! Everywhere we went!! When walking on the promenade, eating breakfast, having a drink, it went on all week. We did want to purchase a package and a dining room waiter followed us from the front of the ship to the back, so we could talk to the rest of our group and make reservation times! What kind of “incentives” do these people get? It was annoying by the end of the cruise.... sorry rant over!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No! *Loud Gasp* (cue Dun, Dun, Dun, Duuunnn music and insert dastardly mustache twirling villan)...Not RCI! Jesus take the wheel from the "everyone is beneath them crowd"...especially us lowly Carnival travelers. Perish the thought. :D

In all our cruises, this has never happened on Carnival.

But... last month we were on RCI Freedom of the Seas, and without a doubt we were asked by no less than 10 employees about buying a specialty dining package!!! Everywhere we went!! When walking on the promenade, eating breakfast, having a drink, it went on all week. We did want to purchase a package and a dining room waiter followed us from the front of the ship to the back, so we could talk to the rest of our group and make reservation times! What kind of “incentives” do these people get? It was annoying by the end of the cruise.... sorry rant over!!!

Same thing happen to us, just on Celebrity, really turned me off for future cruises with them. :mad:

You have great attention to detail which is a rarity today.

For the doubters: I was asked and I bought the towel book and when I saw my steward the next day I asked if they got a commission because I said that I thought they should. It was only then they shared they received extra time off if they met a certain level of sales. We each smiled and that was the end of our exchange.

If some of you insist I'm making this all up I guess this is what people get in this country today for sharing a story from their life. SAD!!!

So, I cannot speak to the OP’s veracity, but let me say this: (1) the fact that it hasn’t happened to others does not mean it didn’t happen this time, and (2) that a cabin steward doesn’t actually earn time off for such a sale does not mean that such a line couldn’t be used to elicit such a sale.

I don’t know what benefit the OP has in making up this story and posting it on a mostly-anonymous message board; it’s neither scandalous nor salacious ... just run-of-the-mill grumbling. That being said, it is notable that the OP did not reference any specifics concerning the sailing (such as date/ship).

Take your pick

we

wē/

pronoun

pronoun: we

1. 1.
    used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together.
    "shall we have a drink?"

• used to refer to the speaker together with other people regarded in the same category.
      "nobody knows kids better than we teachers do"

• people in general.
      "we should eat as varied and well-balanced a diet as possible"

[*]2.

used in formal contexts for or by a royal person, or by a writer or editor, to refer to himself or herself.

"in this section we discuss the reasons"

Take your pick

we

wē/

pronoun

pronoun: we

1. 1.
    used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together.
    "shall we have a drink?"
    • used to refer to the speaker together with other people regarded in the same category.
      "nobody knows kids better than we teachers do"
    • people in general.
      "we should eat as varied and well-balanced a diet as possible"

[*]2.

used in formal contexts for or by a royal person, or by a writer or editor, to refer to himself or herself.

"in this section we discuss the reasons"

Either you work for Carnival or presume to speak for the entirety of this board; I’m not convinced you were speaking in the third person, and at this point you’re just being a troll.

My steward on the Pride did offer the towel book to me after I commented on how much my grandson an I enjoyed the critters he left in our room. I believe he said he would benefit from the sale, but I don't remember how. I did buy the book.

Allegation? The OP has been a member of CC since 2010. You think they are lying? You think that this isn't something your beloved cruise line wouldn't do or sink to? I'm sure this steward didn't come up with this plan on his own, apply only to him, or come up with this reward program for himself. I wouldn't doubt that Carnival would pull something like this ......

Could it be possible that this is some type of pilot program? We know that Carnival likes to test the market before making fleet-wide changes.

Either you work for Carnival or presume to speak for the entirety of this board; I’m not convinced you were speaking in the third person, and at this point you’re just being a troll.

Hi

Who's calling the kettle a troll? Considering especially that is specifically not permitted by this site, while adding nothing to the discussion. The response was for another snarky post similar to your own and was just pointing out that it could have very easily been the feeling of two people...such as the person that wrote it and his/her wife/husband. It doesn't take too much thought.

hope this helps

New Restaurant failure rate: 90-95%

Best Buy - Just closed 250 stores.

McDonald's - Pays its employees so poorly that they put out a sample budget sheet for them that assumes they have TWO full-time jobs and that healthcare is $20 a month.

Toys-Backward R-Us - Out of business.

What's interesting here: 20% of "upsold" customers are unprofitable, accounting for 70% of total "Customer Loss". At this point, I'd be more shocked if a business were to force upsells on their customers, knowing the intrinsic losses associated with them. But that's just business, I guess.

New restaurant failure rate is 59% in the first three years. Your point?

Best Buy's stock price is at an all-time high. Your point?

McDonald's also near record highs. Your point?

Toys R Us was given about 5 billion in debt when investors took it private. Your point?

Upsells are not a loss. Thanks for your business lesson.

You routinely accept hearsay as fact. We get it. A number of people have replied that this has never happened to them. You apparently think they are all lying. We get it.
I don't think the people who report it's never happened to them are lying. I also don't think the ones who say it has happened to them are lying.

John Heald reported the official company policy. As we all know, what official company policy is and what happens on ships can differ.

Just got off our first Carnival cruise. We were shocked when we were approached by our room steward and asked if we wanted to buy any of the Carnival-branded items (robes, towels, etc.) from a brochure left in our cabin because "for each item we buy, he gets credit toward days off". This seems wrong on so many levels -

Who doesn't want an extra day off work with pay? You buy now.

On our last cruise we had a steward (Who was an awful steward btw) ask us on the last day if we wanted to buy a towel animal book. We were like, "Uh, no thanks," before he could finish his sales pitch. I thought it was random and actually thought it was his personal book and that he was trying to sell it to us. lol. He was a strange guy. Now that I read what other people report I do not doubt that they get some kickback of some kind for it because this guy barely lifted a finger. He must have been motivated some way.

Then why would our steward and the one down the hall say this? What is their motivation? And I said that this has never happened before because we have been on 48 cruises on a variety of cruise lines (this was our first on Carnival) and we have never been approached by a room steward for a sales pitch.

Better question is why do people make up stories and posted them on the internet,

Hi

Who's calling the kettle a troll? Considering especially that is specifically not permitted by this site, while adding nothing to the discussion. The response was for another snarky post similar to your own and was just pointing out that it could have very easily been the feeling of two people...such as the person that wrote it and his/her wife/husband. It doesn't take too much thought.

hope this helps

Edited by BlerkOne

Just got off our first Carnival cruise. We were shocked when we were approached by our room steward and asked if we wanted to buy any of the Carnival-branded items (robes, towels, etc.) from a brochure left in our cabin because "for each item we buy, he gets credit toward days off". This seems wrong on so many levels - puts us in a very awkward position, and he was certainly not happy about asking. I felt like Carnival was trying to shame us into buying their products - and rewarding employees not for exceptional service, but by how many towel books they sold. We have taken many cruises on other lines. This has never happened before. Is this normal for Carnival?
Troll harder next time

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I’ve been on several Carnival cruises and never asked. But look at it this way, you don’t think it happens when they have the “shopping shows” on board the ship or all the stuff at the shops, or the spa, or the fitness stuff. People choose to partake in whatever they want. Never feel obligated to buy what you don’t want to buy on the ship. If you don’t like Carnival, there’s other cruise lines. See ya!