Is a 28 day cruise to long

Threeleggedtoad

I have previously done a Christmas cruise on Celebrity flying to Miami for a 14 day Caribbean cruise. I have booked the Christmas and New Year cruise on the P&O Arcadia sailing from Southampton to the Caribbean.

I would be interested if anyone has done a similar cruise lasting 28 days. In particular with the large number of days at sea will I be bored, amount of clothes to take and how to avoid over indulging on food or drink?

I have previously done a Christmas cruise on Celebrity flying to Miami for a 14 day Caribbean cruise. I have booked the Christmas and New Year cruise on the P&O Arcadia sailing from Southampton to the Caribbean.

I would be interested if anyone has done a similar cruise lasting 28 days. In particular with the large number of days at sea will I be bored, amount of clothes to take and how to avoid over indulging on food or drink?

Simple answer is no way. We have done 2 x 28 2 x 23 1 x 35 and another 35 to come.

We tend to take not much more than for a 14 night cruise certainly no more luggage. We use the laundry on the ship and then there are laundrettes. We find sea days are for relaxing, however there is usually dance classes, the choir, quizzes, art/craft classes speakers, usually one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The speakers usually change for the return transatlantic. There are deck games etc. Wine tasting, gin tasting, cocktails tasting etc.

Best of all for us is simply the relaxation of cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Simple answer is no way. We have done 2 x 28 2 x 23 1 x 35 and another 35 to come.

We tend to take not much more than for a 14 night cruise certainly no more luggage. We use the laundry on the ship and then there are laundrettes. We find sea days are for relaxing, however there is usually dance classes, the choir, quizzes, art/craft classes speakers, usually one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The speakers usually change for the return transatlantic. There are deck games etc. Wine tasting, gin tasting, cocktails tasting etc.

Best of all for us is simply the relaxation of cruising.

Definitely agree with all of that, and looking forward to our 3rd round trip Caribbean this coming January.

On first boarding go immediately to the Sanctuary and book the entire cruise. (Previously there was a discount)

To not do so will be a mistake, as you will run the risk of regular encounters with "Dawn Hogs" and various Seal Colonies. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Shoes & Clothing? Take all you require, and may need.

We have had two trans Atlantic longer cruises to date with 3 more booked, 33, 35, 30 nights. We wondered whether our first 35 nightery would be too long, no chance, we loved it. Caribbean in winter, not many better places to be.

We took slightly more luggage than for a 14 nighter but used the laundrette once mid way, it is easier to use the laundrette on a port day if possible. Or just pay for laundry.

We tried to cut lunch out or had a light lunch then just try and eat a bit less in general. Try walking around deck if the weather is OK on sea days and/or use the gym. We were never bored even on the cooler days leaving/arriving Southampton as we took part in the ship entertainment, watched films read or just lounged about, people watching and chatting to others.

We are also on this cruise. 😀

We have done one 28 night cruise previously it was over xmas and new year on Azura two years ago but it was a fly cruise and very port intensive. 6 sea days out of the 28 So this will be a new experience for us too.

Agree with the previous comment. Just take a little bit more but will use the laundrette.

I’m hoping the speakers will be interesting, I’m sure they will be , the films they show seem to be quite current so might slip a few visits to the cimena those early days. We will join in some of the ships activities. Though neither of us are dancers or singers but happily happily watch other brave souls participate. We will take some card games , books, knitting for me ... I’m sure we will be fine. And really once it’s hits 5pm. Even if a port day would be back on board so evenings don’t really count. Well that’s my logic 😀

We are also on this cruise. 😀

We have done one 28 night cruise previously it was over xmas and new year on Azura two years ago but it was a fly cruise and very port intensive. 6 sea days out of the 28 So this will be a new experience for us too.

Agree with the previous comment. Just take a little bit more but will use the laundrette.

I’m hoping the speakers will be interesting, I’m sure they will be , the films they show seem to be quite current so might slip a few visits to the cimena those early days. We will join in some of the ships activities. Though neither of us are dancers or singers but happily happily watch other brave souls participate. We will take some card games , books, knitting for me ... I’m sure we will be fine. And really once it’s hits 5pm. Even if a port day would be back on board so evenings don’t really count. Well that’s my logic 😀

Try to join in the battle of the sexes quiz on the sea days..it is such a laugh and you get to make some fun friends

For me it is too long. 14 days is my limit.

As you have done a 14 day cruise, you may be able to answer the question yourself. If it wasn't too long or not long enough then a longer cruise will be fine.

For me it is too long. 14 days is my limit.

As you have done a 14 day cruise, you may be able to answer the question yourself. If it wasn't too long or not long enough then a longer cruise will be fine.

I find 28 days not long enough. Just getting into the swing by then.

Sorry to go against the trend of the majority but I enjoy cruising and look forward to the food available but dont think my body would cope with 28 days on a cruise. Heard so many say well I only have toast for breakfast and miss lunch and afternoon tea and only have 1 or 2 courses for dinner sorry but that is not for me it would take away the enjoyment of cruising for me 17 nights is the maximum we have ever done and that is about our level.

Can I ask, does P&O still do laundry 'offers' these days, but in particular on the long cruises? I'm of course referring to the ships laundry (via cabin steward) not the free DIY launderettes (we are on holiday, after all)! The reason I ask is that on our early P&O cruises I recall offers being advertised in Horizon but I cannot recall any offers for our last half a dozen P&O cruises, even a 16 nighter on Aurora last year. We have a 24 nighter coming up, so am interested to know.

Can I ask, does P&O still do laundry 'offers' these days, but in particular on the long cruises? I'm of course referring to the ships laundry (via cabin steward) not the free DIY launderettes (we are on holiday, after all)! The reason I ask is that on our early P&O cruises I recall offers being advertised in Horizon but I cannot recall any offers for our last half a dozen P&O cruises, even a 16 nighter on Aurora last year. We have a 24 nighter coming up, so am interested to know.

I'm pretty sure there was an offer during the last P&O cruise I was on, a 26-day cruise on Arcadia last September. Sod's Law applied, as I'd had my laundry done a day or two before. I think there's been such an offer on every P&O cruise I've been on.

Yes we have had offers, x number of items for £10. That sort of thing.

Hols4

We find 14 to 18 days is enough the going down to dinner starts to get too much and the food repetitive. Would like to do more 7 to 12 day cruises but we have a long journey to and from Southampton.

I'm pretty sure there was an offer during the last P&O cruise I was on, a 26-day cruise on Arcadia last September. Sod's Law applied, as I'd had my laundry done a day or two before. I think there's been such an offer on every P&O cruise I've been on.

Thanks. We used to see the offers on every cruise, but have had no offers for a number of Cruises now.

Yes we have had offers, x number of items for £10. That sort of thing.

Yes, that’s what I recall Dai, but not on our last few cruises. Do you recall, are they always advertised in Horizon? I read it cover to cover and never see it these days.

We do 28 / 35 days regularly and love them. I buy a wifi package so I can do a blog, sort my photos and keep up with what's happening in the world. I also take my iPad fully loaded with videos, audio books books and games. I take part in various activities around the ship and meet up with friends. Bored? Not enough hours in the day.

The only problem I have is that I get a bit fed up of all the dinners and hate the buffet so as well as eating sometimes in the Beach House and The Glass House we take the chance to eat ashore as much as we can.

And another poster said "On first boarding go immediately to the Sanctuary and book the entire cruise. (Previously there was a discount) To not do so will be a mistake, as you will run the risk of regular encounters with "Dawn Hogs" and various Seal Colonies. Be afraid, be very afraid." This is rubbish. First of all, there's no Sanctuary on P&O. Secondly there are always plenty of sun beds available on these longer cruises because people pace themselves more and take part in more of the activities around the ship. We've never had any problems finding a sun bed any time we wanted one and we've done quite a few 28 days plus

Yes, that’s what I recall Dai, but not on our last few cruises. Do you recall, are they always advertised in Horizon? I read it cover to cover and never see it these days.

No generally it comes as a flyer in the cabin.

We do 28 / 35 days regularly and love them. I buy a wifi package so I can do a blog, sort my photos and keep up with what's happening in the world. I also take my iPad fully loaded with videos, audio books books and games. I take part in various activities around the ship and meet up with friends. Bored? Not enough hours in the day.

The only problem I have is that I get a bit fed up of all the dinners and hate the buffet so as well as eating sometimes in the Beach House and The Glass House we take the chance to eat ashore as much as we can.

And another poster said "On first boarding go immediately to the Sanctuary and book the entire cruise. (Previously there was a discount) To not do so will be a mistake, as you will run the risk of regular encounters with "Dawn Hogs" and various Seal Colonies. Be afraid, be very afraid." This is rubbish. First of all, there's no Sanctuary on P&O. Secondly there are always plenty of sun beds available on these longer cruises because people pace themselves more and take part in more of the activities around the ship. We've never had any problems finding a sun bed any time we wanted one and we've done quite a few 28 days plus

I take lots of stuff on my iPad as well, but then end up not watching them as there is not enough time.

:). :). :).

We do 28 / 35 days regularly and love them. I buy a wifi package so I can do a blog, sort my photos and keep up with what's happening in the world. I also take my iPad fully loaded with videos, audio books books and games.

I was very interested to read your comments about the WiFi package and using your iPad. To date, I have never bothered with it as I have read poor reports about speed and reliability, but mostly because we have only cruised in Europe and we can use our U.K. data plan free of charge whenever in port.

However, with our upcoming USA cruise we have 6 sea days in a row each way and are a tiny bit anxious about being out of contact for that time. The Browse Package costs £210 if purchased pre cruise for the 24 nights, which is a heck of a lot for peace of mind, but can I ask you (or anyone else with the knowledge) a few questions please?

1) Do you find the speed and stability acceptable in your cabin?

2) If you use Apple products, does the Browse package allow you to send and receive iMessage texts free?

3) Is it worth buying the package pre cruise (works out at £8.75 a day versus the stated £12.50 per day or £10 per day for the whole cruise if purchased on board) or are the on board offers as good?

4) Any other pros and cons to consider?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Two weeks ago on Oriana there were laundry offers a few times advertised in the Horizon. Price was cheaper the more items cleaned but it worked out at about £2 a T/shirt.