6 years in between cruises - Just off Equinox

flvol77

First of all overall very good cruise.

Captain Kate is amazing.

I did zero research about changes from when we went on the Equinox 6 years ago and overall I am glad, because it’s wasn’t that much different from 6 years ago.

Food is subjective, but IMO it was very good, Blu was awesome like we remembered.

Service was outstanding.

Only negative, what in the hell is up with all the high pressure selling, my goodnesss, I felt like I was in Jamaica, I understand day one to a point, but, after three days it was ridiculous, I really hated to be rude, but I stopped saying no thanks and I just walked by the staff trying to sell it us.

I think we were asked about the drink package no less than 30 times and I lost count how many times the speciality restaurants were pushed on us.

Silent disco is awesome and fun, I thought the shows were good, they brought in an act called uptown, they are from New York and they were good.

Any questions, ask away.

We were on the same sailing as the OP but had a different experience as it relates to the speciality restaurants. We only approached once about booking dinner in a specialty restaurant, that was on day 5 when a staff member asked us if we would like to eat in Silk Harvest, we declined. We did go to Tuscan and Murano and in both cases we initiated the booking and got a discount.

Cruise was great, seemed to be more going on at night than any of our previous X cruises.

It would be interesting to know if you two enjoyed different parts of the ship and one part had more of a sales push. If so, let's find out so we can avoid it. :)

On S Class ships on deck 5 the sales staff line up outside the shops to hawk their goods. Avoid this area when going to or leaving the Theater.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. We are doing Equinox in Aqua in November for the first time in a few years so I'm glad to here that Blu is still good. We wondered if after being in Luminae the past few cruises it would be disappointing. That said it sounds like if we just set our expectations for what Blu was we will be ok.

Did you dine in any of the specialty restaurants? Thoughts?

If they're hawking their goods I'll be very disappointed. I've never had a hard sell while walking past those shops. They've always been friendly and never a problem. So this would be a real turn around from what I've experienced in the past. I am a survivor of the Bazaar in Istanbul before things toned down there and as a New York native, I can tell you some stories in lower Manhattan from certain shopkeepers years ago. I hope there's some exaggeration going on. I shall see in 9 days

First of all overall very good cruise.

Captain Kate is amazing.

I did zero research about changes from when we went on the Equinox 6 years ago and overall I am glad, because it’s wasn’t that much different from 6 years ago.

Food is subjective, but IMO it was very good, Blu was awesome like we remembered.

Service was outstanding.

Only negative, what in the hell is up with all the high pressure selling, my goodnesss, I felt like I was in Jamaica, I understand day one to a point, but, after three days it was ridiculous, I really hated to be rude, but I stopped saying no thanks and I just walked by the staff trying to sell it us.

I think we were asked about the drink package no less than 30 times and I lost count how many times the speciality restaurants were pushed on us.

Silent disco is awesome and fun, I thought the shows were good, they brought in an act called uptown, they are from New York and they were good.

Any questions, ask away.

Concerning FLVOL77 comments about upselling. I have to agree completely. On our May Equinox cruise there was intrusive upselling. In the MDR at both lunch and dinner there was a "salesperson" going around to each table hawking the specialty restaurants, AND in the bar and lounge areas. It was really over the top and exceeded the specialty dining "opportunities" at the entry to the buffet area. The first couple of times we were approached, in the first day or two, we smiled and declined. But it was so persistent and annoying, as the cruise proceeded, that we were put off by their efforts. Added to that, even if you wanted to take advantage, the only reservations available were at 8:30 or 9:00 p.m., all desirable hours are reserved for suites (as it should be for those fares). ;)

We were in Aqua so dined in Blu in the evening. Breakfast & lunch were in the buffet & there was a crew member at both entrances booking specialty restaurants but IMO not agressive (kept waiting for the sell & none). We didn’t set foot in the MDR so maybe that is why we escaped to upselling.

We were in the Martini Bar or the GastroBar before dinner each evening and didn’t see any upselling of speciality restaurants.

We sailed the Equinox in mid April (our fifth cruise on her) and did not experience any ship's personnel pushing specialty restaurants except their usual spot at the entrance to the Oceanview.

We don't do the MDR, preferring either specialty, Oceanview or in room dining.

We do frequent the Martini Bar, Ensemble Lounge, Sunset Bar and Gastrobar, we were never approached at any of them to book a specialty dinner.

There are plenty of earlier times available for the specialty restaurants, just book when you board. Suites do not hog all the prime times.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Concerning FLVOL77 comments about upselling. I have to agree completely. On our May Equinox cruise there was intrusive upselling. In the MDR at both lunch and dinner there was a "salesperson" going around to each table hawking the specialty restaurants, AND in the bar and lounge areas. It was really over the top and exceeded the specialty dining "opportunities" at the entry to the buffet area. The first couple of times we were approached, in the first day or two, we smiled and declined. But it was so persistent and annoying, as the cruise proceeded, that we were put off by their efforts. Added to that, even if you wanted to take advantage, the only reservations available were at 8:30 or 9:00 p.m., all desirable hours are reserved for suites (as it should be for those fares). ;)

Sorry, I have to disagree with your last sentence regarding suites. Suite guests already have their own restaurant. Specialty restaurant resvervations should be that the first to reserve have most flexibility in choosing the time they want, period. First come, first served.

Well they are not upselling their products.

I have been on Celebrity so many cruises and very rarely been asked.

You know why?

Because I don't look at the promotion guys.

You were asked because you look at them and they thought you were interested of the sale.;)

D A :rolleyes:

Edited by iSailor

I was also on same cruise as OP. In fact, was also on the cruise just before it. I do agree that the upsetting for beverage packages was intense on first few days of cruise. For us, it tapered down after that. One tip if you don't want the waiters coming around asking you if you want 'something from the bar' while dining in the buffet. Take the little plastic sign holder on your table and turn it on its side. That is a signal to the bar staff to not bother you.

Thank you!

What is silent disco?

Also, is there a specialty restaurant you’d recommend? I’m not sure if it’s worth the money when i already enjoy the main dining room...

Murano is French styled, with some tableside service. It is a lovely venue where you can have a quiet leisurely meal with excellent service. I highly recommend it for at least one meal. If you are concerned about cost, do a lunch - that means you do have to dress up a little for lunch, but it is worth it. Silk Harvest is pan-Asian, Tuscan Grille is Italian and steak with a great view as it is the whole aft section of 5, and Sushi on 5 is sushi and some noodles I think. I haven't eaten at any of those 3. Some people rave about Tuscan and some say meh. Silk Harvest gets more general mehs, but people say it is fun with a group (as are all old time Chinese restaurants to me, better if you eat family style). My experience on Equinox was that the officers ate at Sushi more than the passengers, but we did query the sushi chefs and and they said the fish for that venue was fresh not frozen - all the other fish and shrimp, even for Murano and Luminae is flash frozen.

Search for silent disco on the board, you almost have to see to understand

Sorry, I have to disagree with your last sentence regarding suites. Suite guests already have their own restaurant. Specialty restaurant resvervations should be that the first to reserve have most flexibility in choosing the time they want, period. First come, first served.

Remember that PH and RS have specialty dining included which sort of makes specialty their "assigned" dining area. That said I have been in a RS and was not using specialty dining much and when I asked for a 8 pm time I was refused.

Remember that PH and RS have specialty dining included which sort of makes specialty their "assigned" dining area. That said I have been in a RS and was not using specialty dining much and when I asked for a 8 pm time I was refused.

I know that the upper suite guests have specialty dining included and have no problem with that; as you say, they have paid enough to warrant it. However, I don’t think they should get preferential treatment when it comes to reservation times

Well if I say IF,I paid so much for my cruise I don't want to hear a word NO from the Celebrity side.

I don't think that is too much to ask for.

If that poster drop Celebrity that will be Celebrity lost.

WRK2cruiser should go to the MC concierge to make the reservation and this thing won't happened.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. We are doing Equinox in Aqua in November for the first time in a few years so I'm glad to here that Blu is still good. We wondered if after being in Luminae the past few cruises it would be disappointing. That said it sounds like if we just set our expectations for what Blu was we will be ok.

Did you dine in any of the specialty restaurants? Thoughts?

We have been booking Sky Suites the past few years. Last Nov we cruised with friends in AquaClass and enjoyed our dining in Blu very much.