Military deployment last minute and NO refund?

The one concern I have about people just saying to get insurance is the stories of those who have purchased 'cancel for any reason' insurance only to find out that their specific case then doesn't get covered. Just in this thread I have seen a few specific examples called out. What do we say then? Sorry, you are screwed because you didn't get the right kind of insurance.

I am very sympathetic to the OP because his/her son is sacrificing for his country by serving in the military. I am much more willing to look for companies to show compassion because of the sacrifices of our military. In my opinion the worst thing that could happen is that RCL would say no, but you never know unless you ask, and if they have a resolutions department, that tells me they know policies don't cover every situation.

Ask = fine

Advocating a social media smear campaign = unethical

That's where the line is for me

It was not my intention to advocate for a smear campaign and I apologize if my comments came across that way. I do support an ask, but with a truthful account of what occurred.

Maybe I am reading too much into what the OP posted. It seemed like Royal Caribbean was willing to work with them by canceling the reservation. Could it be that the person deployed was booked with only one other person in the room? If so than that person would be charged the single supplement which would raise the cost of the stateroom. Royal advised for the no show to keep the cost down.

Having to pay a single supplement does not increase the cost that a double pays

The one concern I have about people just saying to get insurance is the stories of those who have purchased 'cancel for any reason' insurance only to find out that their specific case then doesn't get covered. Just in this thread I have seen a few specific examples called out.

I have not seen any cases where "cancel for any reason" insurance was not honored. Cancel for any reason is exactly that - ANY reason. It applies when one of the more specific reason (usually with a higher reimbursement) does not apply.

Typically when you purchase insurance, there is an additional premium for Cancel for Any Reason coverage. Also, they only reimburse a portion - usually 75% of what you paid.

There was a poster who complained that they were reimbursed with a FCC instead of cash when cancelling for any reason. This is true when you buy the insurance offered from the cruise line. This is spelled out in the coverage. Cruise line insurance is relatively inexpensive, and IMO not very good coverage.

Just like anything else - you need to do your homework. If you buy insurance from the cruise line or anywhere else, you need to understand the policy - what it covers and how it reimburses.

Mike

As a veteran, I don't support that course of action at all. Most military members don't want their service exploited on social media for this purpose. During my service, I knew very well the risk I took when booking non refundable vacations. I got lucky and never lost money but if I did, I would have accepted it because it was what I agreed to when I signed the contract.

Agree, well said.

Edited by ONECRUISER

The one concern I have about people just saying to get insurance is the stories of those who have purchased 'cancel for any reason' insurance only to find out that their specific case then doesn't get covered. Just in this thread I have seen a few specific examples called out. What do we say then? Sorry, you are screwed because you didn't get the right kind of insurance.

I am very sympathetic to the OP because his/her son is sacrificing for his country by serving in the military. I am much more willing to look for companies to show compassion because of the sacrifices of our military. In my opinion the worst thing that could happen is that RCL would say no, but you never know unless you ask, and if they have a resolutions department, that tells me they know policies don't cover every situation.

That's impossible. Can you find one of these "stories"?

OP stated that they booked a refundable fare. There is a big difference between a fare with a refundable deposit and a refundable fare. Sorry, but only the deposit was refundable if you canceled before the penalty period kicked in.

We add a rider to our Allianz insurance when we travel with our son because he often is told he has to work, even after vacation has been approved. That should cover military orders.

If you or a family member is active duty military they may be deployed or leaves cancelled AT ANY TIME. That is how it is.

I grew up in a military family, and served myself, and plans were ALWAYS subject to last minute changes.

ANYONE in the military should purchase trip insurance.

RC seems to be great at getting that first time cruiser but struggling to get repeat customers. On my Anthem Cruise, which was sold out, there was only like 1,000 crown and anchor members. That is a pitiful ratio for a ship that size. Your business model can’t be to only care about the first timers. It’s the returning customers that keep a travel company alive for the long run.

As a publicly traded company, their only aim is to generate the most profit possible. They don’t care whether it comes from new customers or repeat customers. The ship sailed full right? And they didn’t have to give as many freebies away.

We just had that issue but were able to send orders and rebook for a different date. They may be willing to credit your for a future cruise.

Good morning,

We just came off a week on Freedom of the Seas. The week of the cruise, my son was called up and deployed which made his attendance for the cruise obviously impossible. When I called Royal, clearly upset, they told us they couldn't do anything.. However, I had paid refundable fare, but was told I'd be charged more if we took him off the reservation. So we had to go with a no show, which was just upsetting as well.

Do I have any recourse or is that pretty much it?

That's impossible. Can you find one of these "stories"?

I could, but I won't. As soon as I share some of the stories I have seen on this and other boards, people will start picking apart the reasons the claims were denied. The likelihood is that they were legitimate denials because people didn't read the fine print, didn't include their documentations correctly, failed to understand the terms and conditions, or didn't file their claims on time. The insurance companies probably had good reasons to deny the claims, but it seems like the quick answer here is simply to get insurance. If we wanted to be specific, you may want Cancel for any reason insurance, trip interruption insurance, medical insurance that covers you in other countries. There may even be theft insurance if your personal belongings get stolen while on the ship. I'm just stating that insurance isn't always a magic solution either.

We figured we'd be stuck with the cost of the cruise. We booked a military fare for his airfares and they refunded the costs without issue.

We had notified rci that he was active duty, but didn't expect him to be deployed as it wasn't scheduled.

Lesson learned indeed.

Grasping at straws, here, but check to see if the credit card used to book the trip has any applicable travel benefits.

I could, but I won't. As soon as I share some of the stories I have seen on this and other boards, people will start picking apart the reasons the claims were denied. The likelihood is that they were legitimate denials because people didn't read the fine print, didn't include their documentations correctly, failed to understand the terms and conditions, or didn't file their claims on time. The insurance companies probably had good reasons to deny the claims, but it seems like the quick answer here is simply to get insurance. If we wanted to be specific, you may want Cancel for any reason insurance, trip interruption insurance, medical insurance that covers you in other countries. There may even be theft insurance if your personal belongings get stolen while on the ship. I'm just stating that insurance isn't always a magic solution either.

In other words, you don't have an example.

My son is still in basic training (OSUT, technically), and even I know not to count on ANYthing for the next five years.

Uncle Sam owns his butt -- lock, stock, and barrel -- for the duration of his contract (and the Ready Reserve period after, as well).

Uncle Sam can and will change his mind as needed to suit Uncle Sam's needs -- not mine or my son's.

To expect Royal Caribbean to offer ANY refund is insane, IMO. The OP knew that the son was in the military, and the OP made the CHOICE to not purchase trip insurance.

This wasn't an "unforeseeable complication" at all -- orders change ALL THE TIME when you're in the military. And even if it were actually an unforeseeable event... THAT'S THE POINT OF TRIP INSURANCE!!!!

Get in a car accident on the way to the airport -- trip insurance.

Fall down the stairs and break your leg a week before the cruise -- trip insurance.

Elderly parent has a stroke the day before you're supposed to leave -- trip insurance.

Hurricane / Snowstorm / Earthquake -- trip insurance / trip insurance / trip insurance.

Little Timmy falls down a well -- Lassie goes for help, and the parents file a claim with their trip insurance.

I have the utmost respect for our military personnel and their families. My own son -- my only child -- is currently serving at the tender age of 18yo. But I cannot understand someone with a military family member not understanding the concept of Nothing Is Guaranteed and expecting a company like Royal Caribbean to bear the financial cost of this customer's alleged naivete.

You either purchase trip insurance to cover a change in orders, or you accept the fact that you may spend money on a trip the service member cannot take. Period.

Should I be lucky to have served 38 years in another NATO-Armed Forces, my Air Force?

Yes you "belong" to the Armed Forces as an active duty soldier. But my Armed Forces by law, has to reimburse all booking expenses and related expenses when calling me unexpected. Happened only once with me, but all booking fees etc were 100% reimbursed. No insurance needed!

Check your administration for a similar program in your US military environment -can't be so different?!

Should I be lucky to have served 38 years in another NATO-Armed Forces, my Air Force?

Yes you "belong" to the Armed Forces as an active duty soldier. But my Armed Forces by law, has to reimburse all booking expenses and related expenses when calling me unexpected. Happened only once with me, but all booking fees etc were 100% reimbursed. No insurance needed!

Check your administration for a similar program in your US military environment -can't be so different?!

Hello Mr. Salmon, nice to see you again!:)

I'm not aware any policy within the 5 branches of the US armed services that reimburse monetary losses from personal vacation expenses.

In our years of service, we are not aware of any such program in the US.

Good morning,

We just came off a week on Freedom of the Seas. The week of the cruise, my son was called up and deployed which made his attendance for the cruise obviously impossible. When I called Royal, clearly upset, they told us they couldn't do anything.. However, I had paid refundable fare, but was told I'd be charged more if we took him off the reservation. So we had to go with a no show, which was just upsetting as well.

Do I have any recourse or is that pretty much it?

this is what insurance is for

OH YES IT CAN BE VERY DIFFERENT.

Sounds like you are in an EU country. And trust me, employment things, military and civilian are a LOT different here.

Does not sound to be fair and personnel friendly: What about those in the US militaries who serve i.e. in the special forces. They are on a 365 alert scheme. So they never are able to book in advance? Even an insurance is not granted by the administration? That makes holidays a gamble and expensive specially for enlisted men and women…..a very influential person in the US would twitter "not fair"....

Does not sound to be fair and personnel friendly: What about those in the US militaries who serve i.e. in the special forces. They are on a 365 alert scheme. So they never are able to book in advance? Even an insurance is not granted by the administration? That makes holidays a gamble and expensive specially for enlisted men and women…..a very influential person in the US would twitter "not fair"....

The sacrifices Special Forces folks make are far beyond being not able to take cruises. That is what they signed up for and why they deserve our utmost respect and gratitude. Fair has nothing to do with it.