Attendance at Headline Shows

SamFritz

Just got back from seven nights on Freedom OTS. I feel like I’m noticing a trend of declining attendance at the main event/headline shows. Four or five years ago you had to get to the shows at least 20 minutes early to get three or four seats together. But over the past few years it seems to be getting easier to find seats. On this recent cruise, the theater was never anywhere close to packed. The one exception was the ice show, which seemed to be very full. Have you noticed this trend too? If so, Why do you think it is happening? Or am I just imagining it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More and more. I’m finding the “review shows” with the mediocre-at-best music choices to not be work my time. I may pop in and watch from the back, but generally leave to find something worth my time while my son is in adventure ocean.

The exception is the big production show (like on anthem).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of good points so far.

[emoji848]I agree with the idea that people are helplessly focused on their cell phones. I’m not necessarily criticizing, people can do what they want, but I can’t believe how many people I see walking around the ship with their eyes locked on their screen.

🧐It is definitely time for some new production shows. We didn’t go to “Once Upon a Time” on the last night of this past cruise because we’d seen it so many times that we could name all the songs and stage sets.

🤩I, too, love the tribute bands. The Journey Tribute Band on Mariner in June was the most entertaining show I’ve seen in a long time. So good we went back for the second show! Some of the most memorable shows have been tribute bands. ABBA, Beatles, Frankie Valley, Elvis, etc.

🤭I like good magicians, and good comedians. I do think that the quality of many of the headliners is down a bit. Is Royal investing so much into the entertainment on the newer ships that the older ships are lacking in that department?

[emoji846]I think we do live in a very “on demand” world, so things like My Time Dining, can disrupt attendance at a show with a set start time.

We enjoyed the Beatles tribute in the theater, but the 10 song set the next night in Safari Club was the best night on the ship. Up close and personal. George tripped backwards on an amp and they kept going.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just got back from seven nights on Freedom OTS. I feel like I’m noticing a trend of declining attendance at the main event/headline shows. Four or five years ago you had to get to the shows at least 20 minutes early to get three or four seats together. But over the past few years it seems to be getting easier to find seats. On this recent cruise, the theater was never anywhere close to packed. The one exception was the ice show, which seemed to be very full. Have you noticed this trend too? If so, Why do you think it is happening? Or am I just imagining it?

Changes sailing to sailing. But compared to 20yrs ago there is more and more to do on newer ships at same time as show. MTD. Tablet/Cell Phone's more people using them on ships. Also agree the Tribute Bands been great last couple years. First 15+ yrs I cruised shows were later. We'd eat at 8pm and main show was 10:30. Now late Dinners go to show before Dinner on most sailings.

After 30yrs on Royal about 50% the time I take a cruise see at least one Entertainer from cruise before...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I just got off of Explorer 2 days ago and was extremely surprised to see how full the shows I attended were. Then I heard there were only 6 pinnacles and 32 Diamond Plus members aboard. I’m diamond plus and rarely attend shows but was traveling with an infrequent cruiser. So it may be that those who haven’t seen many shows may want to attend them.

I think it partially has to do with the move from traditional to anytime dining.

Agreed - difficult to get a time, eat and be able to attend shows. One of the reasons I don;t like MYD. Had to have it last cruise - could not get into traditional.

Agreed - difficult to get a time, eat and be able to attend shows. One of the reasons I don;t like MYD. Had to have it last cruise - could not get into traditional.

I usually get around that issue by first finding out what time traditional dining is on that ship and then making MTD reservations for the same time. Not quite as good as traditional dining because there may be a wait to be seated for MTD but it works to not miss the shows. The real problem is that the Headliner shows are not as good as they used to be, most likely because of budgetary considerations. My wife and I make sure we go when it is a production show or when the headliner show is musical. However, the comedians and jugglers seem to us to be mostly mediocre and not worth the bother of attending.

I agree with that. We normally do MTD at 7 so rarely get a chance at the show

We adjust our MTD time to go to the show we want.

But we cruise on Grandeur, so other than for lobster night, reservations are not required.