Your favorite buffet items

KenNBarbie

On Prinsendam only (have never seen them on other dam ships), they used to make what are known as "Poffertjes" in her Lido Restaurant for breakfast. Haven't been on her for a while, so don't know if they're still doing it.

"Poffertjes" are a Dutch tradition; they can best be described as "mini pancakes" with syrup and powdered sugar. Btw, there is/was (hope there still is) a really good "Dutch Poffertjes" store in downtown Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island, Canada

Dutch-mini-pancakes-poffertjes-square.jpg

They must be similar to our "pikelets", no children's birthday party was complete without them.

http://www.foodtolove.com.au/recipes/pikelets-14079

pikelets.jpg

This is no longer on the MDR/Pinnacle Breakfast menu, so I am going to miss it on my next cruise but I loved the Scandinavian Breakfast. Mainly due to my love of pickled herring. But I can still get a Full English. My DD on the other hand is always wanting the Japanese Breakfast.

Had nasi goreng on my most recent cruise..yeah no.

My go to things:

Breakfast:

Waffles

Oatmeal/grits with a side of bacon

Bagel with cream cheese and Nutella

Lunch:

Salad bar

Premade sandwiches

Dive in(ok that's outside of the Lido but still)

Peanut butter cookies

Dinner:

A really good lasagna with Italian sausage

I find nasi goreng can differ from one place to another on land as well. Like so many other peasant dishes, it originally used what was available so there is no real set recipe and it depends on what is on hand in both ingredients and spices. And it can depend on the chef's experience and style. While it would be nice if there were a set standard the way there is for more high table dishes like Chicken Kiev or Beef Wellington, there simply isn't a standard for many peasant dishes.

Coconut Ice Cream was mentioned by one poster and I had forgotten that as being good. I agree.

After all of the discussions about the disappearance of the made-to-order sandwich station on some of the ships, being replaced by the pre-made sandwiches, I find it interesting that some posters list them as being one of their "likes". I'll agree that some of the pre-made concoctions are palatable. But, are they better than the made-to-order with the panini press grill available if desired? Not in my opinion.

On our last trip on the Prinsendam' date=' I began making my own breakfast sandwich. I would go to the line and order an egg over medium/well and an English muffin with a sausage pattie. I would then put it together back at the table. Yum!

I actually had a lady ask me how did I order this. Explained to her and she said her husband noticed me eating this sandwich. It was delicious!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Very close to my favorite breakfast sandwich - in stead of the sausage patty I use back bacon (British type) - because the side bacon is too thin.

I found the ensaymada (labled Ensay Mada) on the breakfast buffet on our final morning on the Eurodam. I thought it was wonderful, but I am glad we didn't stumble across it before the end of the cruise. Starting the day with sweet, cheesy pastry won't help my clothes fit better.

DW likes the new salad bar setup and we're both partial to the large selection of Eggs Benedict varieties.

Well, I’ve never been much of a Lido person but a few years ago on a repositioning PC transit on Amsterdam I was passing thru the Lido on my way to somewhere else on the first or second day. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed 2 or 3 bins full of pavlovas! This was adjacent to the ice cream serving station.

Thereafter I’d find some reason to go up there every day and grab a couple of handfuls. Unfortunately those full repo cruises are usually about 21 days. I’d never gained a pound on a cruise before nor have I since, but that cruise was nearly the death of me.

And every cruise since then I’ve checked the Lido for pavlovas on embarkation day. Fortunately I’ve never seen them offered there again, and so have to get my pavlova fix in the PG. Uh, that’s slightly more expensive than the Lido so I really can’t do it daily. And deo gratias for that!

Silver to Gold (another pavlova fan), are you reading this?

Put some cheese on that and you have an Egg McMuffin. ;)

Absolutely not! The bit of grunge you mention is made with a slab of pre-broken, boxed eggs, scramble-cooked sometime earlier. I was modifying an earlier post which specified a freshly fried, over-medium egg — obviously freshly cracked.

Further, I specified back bacon - which I doubt has ever been seen at the Golden Arches,

Do you really believe that any dish is magically transmogrified into any sort of McMuffin by the addition of a dollop of Velveeta?

Well, I’ve never been much of a Lido person but a few years ago on a repositioning PC transit on Amsterdam I was passing thru the Lido on my way to somewhere else on the first or second day. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed 2 or 3 bins full of pavlovas! This was adjacent to the ice cream serving station.

Thereafter I’d find some reason to go up there every day and grab a couple of handfuls. Unfortunately those full repo cruises are usually about 21 days. I’d never gained a pound on a cruise before nor have I since, but that cruise was nearly the death of me.

And every cruise since then I’ve checked the Lido for pavlovas on embarkation day. Fortunately I’ve never seen them offered there again, and so have to get my pavlova fix in the PG. Uh, that’s slightly more expensive than the Lido so I really can’t do it daily. And deo gratias for that!

You bet I am!

Never liked the Lido pavlovas. I mean, really: pink, green?? I tried a couple and they were stale in addition to looking chemical. I'll take the real thing, like you, in the Pinnacle!

Pavlova, in its full sense with some sort of fruit sauce, still shows up regularly on the dessert menu and the lido buffet dessert offerings. But not as the colorful meringue cookies by the ice-cream station any longer. So all is not lost. I miss those meringue cookies too. I haven't seen them on my past several cruises either.

Good to mention on the post-cruise evalution - bring them back. I suspect they use powdered egg whites so they are easy to have on hand. Maybe it was a confusion of terms - they still do have "pavlova", but not the eggwhite cookies.

Have always enjoyed the sticky buns at brkfst. some with nuts some without. Our last trip in May tho every morning the were overbaked. Bottoms were close to being burned or hard as a rock. Thus leaving the top the only part fit to eat. Brought this to the attention of three different people, from servers to suits, to no avail finally gave up. Hopefully on our Dec. cruises things will be better. Now for the other favorite lamb chops and roast leg of pork.

Never liked the Lido pavlovas. I mean, really: pink, green?? I tried a couple and they were stale in addition to looking chemical. I'll take the real thing, like you, in the Pinnacle!

Pavlova, in its full sense with some sort of fruit sauce, still shows up regularly on the dessert menu and the lido buffet dessert offerings. But not as the colorful meringue cookies by the ice-cream station any longer. So all is not lost. I miss those meringue cookies too. I haven't seen them on my past several cruises either.

Good to mention on the post-cruise evalution - bring them back. I suspect they use powdered egg whites so they are easy to have on hand. Maybe it was a confusion of terms - they still do have "pavlova", but not the eggwhite cookies.

You are both right, of course. And yes, they're more "meringue cookies" than pavlovas. But to an addict it didn't really matter.:loudcry: I could grab literally handfuls whenever I felt the urge.

Regarding post-cruise evaluation -- I don't want them brought back, but I do regularly complain about the microwaved potatoes being billed as baked potatoes -- not in just Lido but in MDR and even PG <-- and that is inexcusable.

I have not sailed on HAL for a few years, but their Museli was unbeatable.

My brother was a fan of any of the fruit soups in the MDR.

Thinking of a Hawaii cruise in November and it looks like we will have to sample the bread budding...yum!