Your favorite buffet items

KenNBarbie

Breakfast: Omelette station is good, but line is too long. And that was on the Zaandam, expecting worse on the Zuiderdam. So I tried the baked eggs (like quiche with no crust) -- which were nice and airy and had something different in them everyday. Yes made with pasteurized eggs, which are only gooey when undercooked (and much safer undercooked than "fresh" eggs). I usually got one or two sausage patties and one hash-brown cake, which is a treat and a cheat, since we eat lo-carb at home.

Lunch: pasta stir-fry made with smallest amount of the non-long pasta of the day, double chicken, most of the vegetables, garlic, small amount marinara, or just some extra oil. The line here was too long a couple times and I grabbed a "lasagna" crock from the same station... Lasagna in quotes because Pomodoro had no tomato at all, and both times EXTREMELY DRY. And I like dry foods! My brother took his up for a ladle of the sauce. Add a cut of whatever's on the carvery for more protein, especially if it is lamb. Finish with sugar-free ice cream.

Breakfast: Omelette station is good, but line is too long. And that was on the Zaandam, expecting worse on the Zuiderdam. So I tried the baked eggs (like quiche with no crust) -- which were nice and airy and had something different in them everyday. Yes made with pasteurized eggs, which are only gooey when undercooked (and much safer undercooked than "fresh" eggs). I usually got one or two sausage patties and one hash-brown cake, which is a treat and a cheat, since we eat lo-carb at home.

I was on the Zuiderdam when it was full to capacity (one body in each bed full, not two people per cabin full) and I never found the line at the omelette station longer than 3 people, even at popular breakfast times. On my cruise the lines for eggs benedict, fresh waffles, and toast were much longer than the omelette station.

In my experience the bread pudding varies greatly from ship to ship. Did not care for it on Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam but enjoyed it on Amsterdam.

The cookies are very good especially the oatmeal raisin ones.

Not from the Lido but my absolute favorite item on HAL is the room service chocolate cake.

Definitely, those small cups of muesli are good for breakfast and amazing as a late-night snack. Also a vote for the chocolate chip cookies that are both chewy and packed with lots of chocolate chips. I keep a plate of cookies on my coffee table for the duration of the cruise.

Don't like their bread pudding. Give me a good bread and butter custard any day.

Love the sushi and sashimi bar. Bread rolls with hot sliced roast lamb, roast beef or roast pork.

My DH loves the oatmeal in the lido. For some reason he says the MDR's oatmeal isn't as nice :o

I love breakfast in the MDR - so relaxing and quiet. We often breakfast apart.

In my experience the bread pudding varies greatly from ship to ship. Did not care for it on Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam but enjoyed it on Amsterdam.

Not from the Lido but my absolute favorite item on HAL is the room service chocolate cake.

Good to know the bread pudding varies by ship. I was disappointed with it on the NA, after reading so many raves about it here.

And will have to try RS choc cake on next cruise! :cool:

The Lido breakfast has a daily special in the main line. Had a few on my last cruise (Zaandam) and they were really good!

I enjoyed the crepes, special requests were accomodated.

At lunch, there was a very tasty onion bread, best when fresh out of the oven.

The Asian corner of the lunch buffet was outstanding and changed daily.

At dinner, the (daily) strip steak was SO good!

The chocolate cakes were especially good this past cruise.

In my experience the bread pudding varies greatly from ship to ship. Did not care for it on Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam but enjoyed it on Amsterdam...

And then there those of us who just don't like bread pudding. DH and I have never understood the great love for bread pudding on HAL cruises. Not worth the carbs and calories for me, give me a nice piece of chocolate if I'm going to indulge. :D:D

On Prinsendam only (have never seen them on other dam ships), they used to make what are known as "Poffertjes" in her Lido Restaurant for breakfast. Haven't been on her for a while, so don't know if they're still doing it.

"Poffertjes" are a Dutch tradition; they can best be described as "mini pancakes" with syrup and powdered sugar. Btw, there is/was (hope there still is) a really good "Dutch Poffertjes" store in downtown Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island, Canada

Dutch-mini-pancakes-poffertjes-square.jpg

On Prinsendam only (have never seen them on other dam ships), they used to make what are known as "Poffertjes" in her Lido Restaurant for breakfast. Haven't been on her for a while, so don't know if they're still doing it.

"Poffertjes" are a Dutch tradition; they can best be described as "mini pancakes" with syrup and powdered sugar. Btw, there is/was (hope there still is) a really good "Dutch Poffertjes" store in downtown Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island, Canada

Dutch-mini-pancakes-poffertjes-square.jpg

they were still making them in April - May this year Copper :D.

I haven't seen them on any other ship, either.

They were on the Prinsendam Kiel Canal cruise I was on recently, but DANG! they ran out of batter just as I walked up to order some!

Good to hear! Eleven more months! :')

Btw, I stand corrected; "Poffertjes" can be had in the Grand Dutch Cafe on the Koningsdam and, I assume, soon on the Nieuw Statendam

I thought Krupuk were shrimp crackers as I recall a "fishy" taste to them.

My Lido restaurant hit list:

Croissants for breakfast (My first two mornings on the Prinsendam: no croissants. I complained to an ADRM on duty on day 3 and he said they were on the other side of the ships' Lido Restaurant in a warming carousal.)

Most of the Asian offerings available at lunch

Freshly made waffles with warm fruit topping, particularly the Peach topping

At the Carvery during lunch: all of the meats offered, particularly the lamb, which I then use to make my own sandwich (On recent cruises, a sandwich that the staff member will make is displayed and I often order that. I do appreciate that being made available at that station.)

Eggs Benedict as well as Eggs Florentine

Pizza on some of the ships

Cookies at the ice cream station; HAL's Christmas cookies are consistently delicious in my opinion.

From Room Service: a Club Sandwich!

Believe it or not, Krupuk are shrimp crackers ;)

Terima kasih banyak :D

OK, good enough for me. I like the huge ones, as big as a bread plate.

As to the poffertjes, we've had them on the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam at lunch in the Lido. Table set up by Caneletto with a chef making them up fresh.

By the way: selamat datung!

On our last trip on the Prinsendam, I began making my own breakfast sandwich. I would go to the line and order an egg over medium/well and an English muffin with a sausage pattie. I would then put it together back at the table. Yum!

I actually had a lady ask me how did I order this. Explained to her and she said her husband noticed me eating this sandwich. It was delicious!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

On our last trip on the Prinsendam' date=' I began making my own breakfast sandwich. I would go to the line and order an egg over medium/well and an English muffin with a sausage pattie. I would then put it together back at the table. Yum!

I actually had a lady ask me how did I order this. Explained to her and she said her husband noticed me eating this sandwich. It was delicious!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

The made-up ones I've had have been uniformly cold and dry, so you have a great idea there!