5/12/2020 Pacific Panama Canal cruise cancelled

1emerald1

This was the last cruise in the published itinerary for this ship.

It is not uncommon for Princess to decide to change where the ship will be deployed instead of that last published voyage. There is a current thread about this for another Princess ship and last year there were several ships that had their last scheduled voyages changed. Some of last year's changes were due to Princess deciding to send the ships to Europe earlier than had been originally planned.

Basically, this is a risk that Princess passengers now take when the book the last scheduled cruise for a ship.

As to the question of what do you lose if a voyage so far off is cancelled? In my mind the answer is you booked a cruise vacation and were excited in the anticipation of it and that excitement is crushed. Yes, it is emotions being affected and not the pocketbook (unless you passed up another opportunity when you booked the cancelled voyage and that opportunity now would cost more if still available).

At least you had plenty of notice. 2 years ago I got an email that my Pacific Princess cruise was cancelled the day before I was to fly out to Spain. I know it was due to an accident as the ship hit the break wall pulling into port but to get an email the day before saying your cruise was cancelled was painful.

At least you had plenty of notice. 2 years ago I got an email that my Pacific Princess cruise was cancelled the day before I was to fly out to Spain. I know it was due to an accident as the ship hit the break wall pulling into port but to get an email the day before saying your cruise was cancelled was painful.

And besides the obvious - what additional compensation did you receive - at least 50% off a future cruise???;p

As someone who was effected by the redeployment of the grand around the same time frame and losing a booking on a repositioning cruise, at first $15 was a bit of a bummer. But then i realized i should be happy i got anything at all given that we can cancel up to 90 or 75 days before a voyage and unless booked under a restrictive fee, don't owe princess a dime.

We just booked the Star for April 2020 in anticipation of her transfer to P&O in 2021. Our last chance to sail her. We like to book early to get the cabins we want. I guess if Princess tells us they have cancelled, it will be a disappointment but we'll get over it and plan on a different cruise. We sail our much anticipated cruise on the Pacific for this fall's TA. I'm sorry the OP has missed the chance to sail her.

Now that bites!

That’s an interesting development. I’m sorry for you about your cruise! It’ll be interesting to find out what’s happening to the Pacific and if the 2019 Christmas cruise will be our final chance to sail on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope you get to sail on her!

Wow 15 bucks is rather an insult. We are doing our first on the PP and have heard great things about her.

Up to now smallest ship we have been on has about 2000 passengers will be interesting to sail on one 1/3 the size of that

Just a FYI... The abbreviation for Pacific Princess is PA. Yes' date=' it's picky but it's a pet peeve of mine. When people use ship abbreviations they should get them right.

For future reference:

[b']Princess Ship Abbreviations[/b]

CB - Caribbean Princess

CO - Coral Princess

KP - Crown Princess

DP - Dawn Princess

DI - Diamond Princess

EP - Emerald Princess

NP - Golden Princess

AP - Grand Princess

IP - Island Princess

GP - Regal Princess

RP - Royal Princess

RU - Ruby Princess

SA - Sapphire Princess

CP - Sea Princess

TP - Star Princess

SP - Sun Princess

MJ – Majestic Princess

YP – Sky Princess

PA - Pacific Princess

Wow another twist for everyone speculating on Summer 2020 deployments.

So Pacific will be finishing her 2020 World Cruise in Los Angeles on May 12 but the return Panama Canal voyage normally done right after is off. So maybe sailing Alaska that summer? Or is it actually Pacific, rather than Grand, that will be doing summer cruises from Los Angeles for the first time in many, many years on Princess?

Your guess is as good as mine. But if Pacific were actually leaving the fleet 20 months from now I think that info would have leaked long ago. So I wouldn't worry about that possibility. Well only a little...

I'd guess that she is probably being redeployed to Alaska.

Wow another twist for everyone speculating on Summer 2020 deployments.

So Pacific will be finishing her 2020 World Cruise in Los Angeles on May 12 but the return Panama Canal voyage normally done right after is off. So maybe sailing Alaska that summer? Or is it actually Pacific, rather than Grand, that will be doing summer cruises from Los Angeles for the first time in many, many years on Princess?

Your guess is as good as mine. But if Pacific were actually leaving the fleet 20 months from now I think that info would have leaked long ago. So I wouldn't worry about that possibility. Well only a little...

Either Alaska or home port in LA would be awesome. I'd jump on that in a heart beat!

We were just on the Pacific the beginning of August. We had the MTL with the chief engineer. He said that she was going into dry dock next year and then will be around for awhile. I asked him what that meant and he said as long as we can keep her. He said it was a great ship that has an awesome following and that they would fight tooth and nail to keep her as long as possible.

I can only hope that is true....

We were just on the Pacific the beginning of August. We had the MTL with the chief engineer. He said that she was going into dry dock next year and then will be around for awhile. I asked him what that meant and he said as long as we can keep her. He said it was a great ship that has an awesome following and that they would fight tooth and nail to keep her as long as possible.

Well maybe I'm being an optimist here, but why would Princess spend the money on a dry dock if they have sold her? If indeed she does get sold to Azamara they are going to do a total gut job so that she blends in with their fleet. Keeping my fingers crossed that she does indeed remain in the Princess fleet.

Well maybe I'm being an optimist here, but why would Princess spend the money on a dry dock if they have sold her? If indeed she does get sold to Azamara they are going to do a total gut job so that she blends in with their fleet. Keeping my fingers crossed that she does indeed remain in the Princess fleet.

When Ocean Princess (R-4) went to Oceania for rebranding as (Sirena) in Marseille, France in 2016 it did not involve a gut job.

The Princess R ships are and were in very good shape and do not require extensive renovation.

It was announced on November 25, 2014, that the ship was to be sold to Oceania Cruises for $82 million under a finance agreement. She departed the Princess fleet in March 2016 and underwent a 35-day, $40 million refurbishment in Marseilles, France to become Sirena. On April 27, 2016, The Sirena was christened and entered service for Oceania.

They have been shedding all the R ships, the rest are gone now so why would they keep one? Seems like the handwriting is on the wall.

They have been shedding all the R ships, the rest are gone now so why would they keep one? Seems like the handwriting is on the wall.

In the past they were getting about double the cruise fare that their other ships typically got. We only booked this one as pricing was in line for other TA's.

I feel your pain! It was also painful to be on the cruise that ended early, and the one that was cancelled, and the one after that, and flying home to the US and back just 8 days apart.

I hope the Pacific Princess stays around for a long while. It perfectly fits a need that I’ve seen in the cruise industry by providing a slightly more premium experience for a slightly higher price, without putting it in the Azamara/Oceania price range. It proves that people are very willing to pay a little more to get that kind of old world cruising.

Just to clarify, I never said I expected compensation. Voljeep asked if I had received anything and I responded that I received $15. I never asked for it or expected it. The intent of my post was to advise others of the cancellation and to inquire if anyone had any insight as to the future of the Pacific Princess. It's a shame that something that simple can be so stupidly misconstrued.[/quote

Very well said! :)

I feel your pain! It was also painful to be on the cruise that ended early, and the one that was cancelled, and the one after that, and flying home to the US and back just 8 days apart.

I hope the Pacific Princess stays around for a long while. It perfectly fits a need that I’ve seen in the cruise industry by providing a slightly more premium experience for a slightly higher price, without putting it in the Azamara/Oceania price range. It proves that people are very willing to pay a little more to get that kind of old world cruising.

I follow your blog and was looking forward to meeting you and G.

We ending up sailing on a Viking ship (which was gorgeous) instead so we still got to go on vacation.