Recommendation for hotel in New Orleans

Teibban

Hi everyone,

We are taking a cruise on December 16 on the Breakaway from New Orleans. We will be me, my girlfriend and our 2 kids (7 and 10). We will arrive on the 14 in NO and want to visit NO on the 15th before the cruise. We were thinking about taking the bus hop-on hop-off.

I have reserved to the Hilton Riverside due to a good price but some reviews say it is outdated. Anyone been there? If not really good, which hotel do you recommend. Only restriction would be to be in the same area and to be able to walk to the terminal (less than 20 min walk if possible).

Thanks all

Jonathan

Try the Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center. I've stayed there before a cruise and at the Hilton Riverside (for a convention). The Hyatt place has rooms with two queen beds and a sleep sofa rather than just two queens at the Hilton so your family will be more comfortable. It also include breakfast which will same you some money. It is very close to the cruise terminal. And less hectic than the convention oriented Hilton.

• Like 1

I've stayed at both Harrah's and the Hampton Inn and Suites at 1201 Convention Center Blvd. Short (10 minute) walk to the Port and there is also a free shuttle. Harrah's is a bit further but not much. Free breakfast at the Hampton Inn.

Pricing seems to vary based on demand.

Enjoy your cruise,

MD

• Like 1

Have you tried asking this in the New Orleans sub-forum instead of the NCL forum?

Absolutely nothing wrong with posting your question here ... BUT you might also enjoy reading and/or posting on the New Orleans sub-forum. Lots more info there. ;)

We like to stay at the Royal Sonesta which is in the heart of the French Quarter ... but it's not inexpensive.

Edited by OCruisers

Strong recommendation for the Marriott, I got an $85/night rate there in 2016 and couldn't hit the reserve button fast enough. I had stayed there for work a couple of months prior so I knew it was a wonderful property.

You can either walk to the terminal or I had bought a street car pass for sight seeing the day before and it was still valid to us to get to the port the next day.

• Like 1

I have been traveling to NOLA for business for over 30 years. We have stayed at the Hilton Riverside 4 or 5 times. You should find it very convenient. The New Orleans Riverwalk is accessible from the lower level of the Hilton. You have a short walk to the French Market and Jackson Square. Forget the HOHO bus, you can ride the Streetcars for only pocket change ($1.25 for an adults fare and an all day pass for $3). Both the North and South Canal routs stop at the Terminal right in front of your hotel. That same terminal also services the River Front Streetcar line that goes North all the way to the French Market and South to the Julia Street Terminal where you will be boarding your ship. Thee Street cars in NOLA are really and easy to use. If you download the GoMobile app to your phone you can easily find the closest stop and see when the next car is arriving. https://www.norta.com/Fares-Pas…/How-to-Buy-Fares-and-Passes New Orleans also has both UBER and Lyft as well as numerous taxis.

Depends on price, many close to the terminal are very expensive.

We stayed at the Marriott on Canal St, got a decent rate and a taxi to the terminal was reasonable.

You could walk it too via the Riverwalk mall tho' too humid (DW's breathing) for us.

I asked a similar question for our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. Here's a link to the responses.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651604

One of my take aways is that it's not necessarily easy to walk to the terminal, even if you're close by due to some sort of blockage (fence, wall, IDK) to the terminal itself. Not sure, because we haven't done it yet, but we probably won't walk bc of the obstacles...more likely, we will UBER or take the trolly.

Harrahs was also recommended to me but it was full for our date. We ended up going with Le Pavillon on Poydras St.

Regardless, I hope you all have a great time!

Hi everyone,

We are taking a cruise on December 16 on the Breakaway from New Orleans. We will be me, my girlfriend and our 2 kids (7 and 10). We will arrive on the 14 in NO and want to visit NO on the 15th before the cruise. We were thinking about taking the bus hop-on hop-off.

I have reserved to the Hilton Riverside due to a good price but some reviews say it is outdated. Anyone been there? If not really good, which hotel do you recommend. Only restriction would be to be in the same area and to be able to walk to the terminal (less than 20 min walk if possible).

Thanks all

Jonathan

Stayed there and loved it. Outdated? Well, that is perception. We liked the room and amenities. Google Hilton Riverside New Orleans and look at videos and photos form people.

The best part is that you can walk to the port, all inside. An easy walk. Through a outlet shopping mall. The floors are all hard so wheeling luggage is easy.

Stayed there and loved it. Outdated? Well, that is perception. We liked the room and amenities. Google Hilton Riverside New Orleans and look at videos and photos form people.

The best part is that you can walk to the port, all inside. An easy walk. Through a outlet shopping mall. The floors are all hard so wheeling luggage is easy.

Thank you. This is great information. Wasn't aware there was an indoor access way to cruise terminal. The outlet shopping mall is attached to the Hilton?

We have walked to the port many times from Harrahs without obstructions. Just walk to the parking lot at the far end (from Hilton) of the mall.

They usually have porters at the corner of that parking lot that is closest to the port to take your luggage or you can roll it across the streetcar track to the porters at the terminal.

After cruise, again easy to roll our luggage back to Harrahs.

If you are staying at the Hilton it should be a nice air-conditioned walk through the mall to that same parking lot.

I go to New Orleans often and usually stay at Harrah’s. However about three weeks ago, I came in from a flight very late, like midnight to be exact! When I got there, they had a room reserved for me on the 21st floor! Ummm, no! I like lower floors, so it was the only room left! I said well please call the Hilton Riverwalk, which is right across the street. They had a room for me on the fourth floor. I went over there and it is not as nice as Harrah’s, but it isn’t that bad! I would just keep that room. You can just walk through the shopping area, take the elevator and it will take you down to the port!

Last year we stayed in the Westin pre cruise (won it on Hotwire in the category the Hilton is usually in) and it was nice. We walked to the terminal via the mall there. Afterwards, we stayed in the Embassy Suites and really liked it there and it was an easy walk from the terminal as well. We had a 1 bedroom suite and the separate living room was great and they offered breakfast (Westin did not). I also preferred the area ES was in, the garden district. Nearby was the Children's Museum (I think they have moved through).