Gastro illness and quarantine question

We had a family member quarantined for 3 days recently on the Harmony. We all bought travel protection through Royal. Can a claim be filed with insurance for the 3 days he was quarantined. Royal Caribbean gave him a letter stating they would be contacting him with future cruise credit for the days he was quarantined, but would the insurance part do anything?

We had a family member quarantined for 3 days recently on the Harmony. We all bought travel protection through Royal. Can a claim be filed with insurance for the 3 days he was quarantined. Royal Caribbean gave him a letter stating they would be contacting him with future cruise credit for the days he was quarantined, but would the insurance part do anything?

This would depend on the types of coverage, the cause of losses and any exclusions. You need to read the policy/summary and/or contact the company to see if you have coverage. Every policy from companies can be different so there is no easy answer.

If you bought on your own, you will be on your own to determine coverages.

If you bought through a travel agent, I would discuss this with them as well.

If you bought the insurance through RCCL, I'm sure someone on here will have some answers.

Why would RC do that?

If you were examined or treated by the ship's medical clinic and were charged for it, you can claim that on travel insurance.

You might be able to claim for prepaid shore excursions that you missed, but travel insurance is more likely to pay for a replacement that you had to purchase than for something you didn't do. (For example, if you miss a flight and have to buy another ticket, your claim would be for the replacement ticket, not for the original flight.) Since you wouldn't have been able to go on any other excursion, either, there may be nothing to claim for that.

I don't think that you can claim for "loss of enjoyment" during the time you were in quarantine.

[/color]

Why would RC do that?

Goodwill. Many people would be resentful after missing three days of a cruise (almost half of a typical seven-day itinerary) and decide never to cruise again on that line. A credit for a future cruise will bring the customer back for, they hope, a better experience.

If you were examined or treated by the ship's medical clinic and were charged for it, you can claim that on travel insurance.

You might be able to claim for prepaid shore excursions that you missed, but travel insurance is more likely to pay for a replacement that you had to purchase than for something you didn't do. (For example, if you miss a flight and have to buy another ticket, your claim would be for the replacement ticket, not for the original flight.) Since you wouldn't have been able to go on any other excursion, either, there may be nothing to claim for that.

I don't think that you can claim for "loss of enjoyment" during the time you were in quarantine.

There was no charge.

I had Noro on a cruise and was quarantined for three days. Received a generous future cruise credit voucher. Do not recall how much though.

our friend was patient 0 and was quarantined for 5 out of 10 days. He got nothing. He did insist on and received credit for all the movies he watched while being confined to the room.

What are you seeking money for? Did Royal charge for the medical care?

our friend was patient 0 and was quarantined for 5 out of 10 days. He got nothing. He did insist on and received credit for all the movies he watched while being confined to the room.

That is generally automatic - it's the norm, as is "free room service", of whatever the sick patient is able to eat.

Goodwill. Many people would be resentful after missing three days of a cruise (almost half of a typical seven-day itinerary) and decide never to cruise again on that line. A credit for a future cruise will bring the customer back for, they hope, a better experience.

RC does this for everyone that is quarantined? This thread is the first time I've ever read this on CC. :confused:

If you were quarantined under orders of the ships doctor, I believe you are entitled under Trip Interruption to be reimbursed by the insurance for the lost days. Plus any expenses you incurred.

However, you will also have to report to insurance the future credit that Royal is providing as compensation.

You can’t double dip.

Did they only quarantee him or actually help and treat him?

My biggest problem is - they do not really seem interested in giving medical help - but just lock people up.....:rolleyes:(n)

When DH had the norovirus, then gave it to me, we were both treated and locked up :). They provided proper food and beverage via room service, while we were in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you read the original post, it’s obvious that this is what the OP is asking.

Hey! You busted me. Its clear by my reply that I hadn't read the OP's post. I was just out randomly typing things. Some how, words went onto the screen that resembled a coherent reply that was largely on topic about insurance claims for a cruise. Completely random based on not reading the original post.

Yep, thats definitely what happened. That, or I made a mistake and didn't catch the part about RCCL insurance.

Another example of why people are loathe to post or not reply to a post.