Recent "incident" on Navigator

BillOh

1 hour ago, snaebyllej said:

Has anyone seen anything about which stabilizer it was?  Problems with the aft port stabilizer on the spring 2008 TA resulted in an "ineresting" cruise, with 2 ports canceled and near riots on board as a result.  They ended up cutting off the stabilizer fin; makes me wonder if there could have been a problem with the repair.

Do you really mean stabilizer issues since TA in spring 2008? Or did you mean 2018?? Surely this ship has been in dry dock & checked since then??

We went on the North Sea to Norway on her 2 yrs ago & all was smooth as a babys posterior!

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Navigator's TA starting this weekend has been re-routed from northerly route (Southampton - Boston, NY, etc), via a southerly route (drop down to med, then cross) - one would have to assume due to the issue.

The Nov 5th TA crossing has been altered due to weather warnings of severe storms with waves up to 35 feet in N Atlantic. I have checked out  the forecast!

As much as I am not happy with the alternative ports I'm with the Captain's decision on this one. Safety always comes first, ports to be visited come second. If there really was a problem with the stabiliser still do you really think the ship would sail, even on the southerly route?

2 hours ago, Green Recruit said:

Yes, we are going to Zeebrugge on Tuesday, overnight in Le Havre Wednesday, 2 sea days, Gran Canaria, then straight over to Miami. Since we are already in Southampton, we are pleased with the changes and monetary compensation. I'm positive others are not...

Teri

If one was expecting to visit the U.S. ports, the disappointment is understandable.

Yes, unfortunate but does happen. Have had couple dozen port changes over the yrs, sometimes only one others all on that cruise. This from Storms/Hurricanes, Medical Emergencies, Ship Issues. On my 11nite sailing last Dec we had 3 Medical Emergencies. Then flights, in one 2yr period had a Cracked windshield, Flat tire, Electrical issue, no heat and skidded off into snowbank, all different Airlines. All I can say is everyone is your Lucky long as you don't travel on same ship or plane as I'm on though makes for never a boring day...

10 hours ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

If one was expecting to visit the U.S. ports, the disappointment is understandable.

Yep, the ghastly industrial port of Le Havre is no compensation for Boston or NYC. Understand safety issues, but really, an overnight stay in Le Havre!? Surely there could be somewhere better than that to go to. Please do not think it is near Paris as some folk believe, it's 3.5 hrs away on a coach.

Zeebrugge isn't a brilliant port either, but at least it's near Bruges.

14 hours ago, firstcarib said:

The Nov 5th TA crossing has been altered due to weather warnings of severe storms with waves up to 35 feet in N Atlantic. I have checked out  the forecast!

It would very unusual for a TA to be re routed like that simply because of weather - I certainly have not heard of such a thing in the past few years. It is also unusual for RCI to provide a refund for missing a port due to weather (they almost always do it for mechanical issues). On a TA you have a lot of leeway and time to make up the schedule. VanFleet must be getting very gun shy, perhaps rightly so.

Celebrity Eclipse cancelled similar Northern T/A route 3 or 4 yrs ago & went via south via Caribbean. Lots of disappointed folk then too. We were on the same ship & taking the same N Atlantic route exactly 1 year later & it was like a Millpond-warm & sunny in Boston & NYC even in November. It’s a chance you take. Other ships are changing their T/A itineraries also for this weekend & next week. Who wants to risk dangerous storms mid Atlantic? Not me!!!

16 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

Has anyone seen anything about which stabilizer it was?  Problems with the aft port stabilizer on the spring 2008 TA resulted in an "ineresting" cruise, with 2 ports canceled and near riots on board as a result.  They ended up cutting off the stabilizer fin; makes me wonder if there could have been a problem with the repair.

We were on the Spring 2008 TA too. Like you say very interesting cruise. We paid peanuts for trip, it was in the days when you could pick up a TA crossing, cruise only , for £250 , 😆. We had had a lovely crossing with smooth seas, visited Bermuda on the way out if I remember correctly so there weren’t many days left of the trip and people were demanding full refunds and yes near riots on the Promenade. 

The problem stabiliser on that trip was portside aft. I remember clearly coming out of dinner and everyone was on the outside deck watching the goings on below as they cut it off and the dog they had on the boat tied up next to the ship.

I did not take photos unfortunately. 

I feel so bad for those who have booked tours, shows etc in NYC. The trip was

fabulous last year.

We're on Jewel TA leaving Monday and have also had a complete change of itinerary with stops in the Canaries rather than Lisbon and the Azores. No compensation offered for us though so people on Navigator have actually done well!

Julie

6 minutes ago, kernow said:

We're on Jewel TA leaving Monday and have also had a complete change of itinerary with stops in the Canaries rather than Lisbon and the Azores. No compensation offered for us though so people on Navigator have actually done well!

Julie

Yes, I feel that those of us on the current 10n Navigator really lucked out with the 25% FCC PP and 25% OBC PP.  If I was on the forthcoming TA I would only have got $200 OBC for the room, so not even PP!  Perhaps we used up all the budget. 

But it does seem a bit inconsistent!

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Yes, I feel that those of us on the current 10n Navigator really lucked out with the 25% FCC PP and 25% OBC PP.  If I was on the forthcoming TA I would only have got $200 OBC for the room, so not even PP!  Perhaps we used up all the budget. 

But it does seem a bit inconsistent!

Agree. Current comp is great...we will be onboard for the crossing and getting $300 (suite)...not complaining...life is good.

RC rang me to say due to lots of storms forcast next week the 5th Nov sailing will now to go Zeebrugge, Le Havre, Grand Canaria and then Miami the week after. The lady I spoke to was adament the ship was "fully repaired" when I asked if this was just an excuse and that more repairs were needed after last weeks incident. Interesting they know the weather for next week when normally the forcast changes from day to day. I've done Zeebrugge and Le Havre to death really but have booked time off work, taxis, trains, hotel in Miami and flight home so don't have an option to cancel. Will also use the 25% FCC on another one so although very disappointed I won't be going NY, Boston and Port C, I may book for next year and see if luckier.

3 minutes ago, custard75 said:

RC rang me to say due to lots of storms forcast next week the 5th Nov sailing will now to go Zeebrugge, Le Havre, Grand Canaria and then Miami the week after. The lady I spoke to was adament the ship was "fully repaired" when I asked if this was just an excuse and that more repairs were needed after last weeks incident. Interesting they know the weather for next week when normally the forcast changes from day to day. I've done Zeebrugge and Le Havre to death really but have booked time off work, taxis, trains, hotel in Miami and flight home so don't have an option to cancel. Will also use the 25% FCC on another one so although very disappointed I won't be going NY, Boston and Port C, I may book for next year and see if luckier.

The storms that are developing and coming up the East coast are supposed to be very bad. With today’s technology they can certainly predict storms many days out.  These incoming storms are very big news in the US right now and we are all watching them closely as they will affect many areas of the States.

I can understand why all of you are disappointed in the change of ports, but what I cannot understand is why you would want to sail into a dangerous storm.

I would be thankful to have a Captain that chooses safety!!!

22 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Agree. Current comp is great...we will be onboard for the crossing and getting $300 (suite)...not complaining...life is good.

Nice to see someone being cheerful about this cruise. The folk on social media are a maelstrom of miseries!!  

The captain remains invisible and silent. He hasn’t even done the daily noon update!

Just now, little britain said:

Nice to see someone being cheerful about this cruise. The folk on social media are a maelstrom of miseries!!  

The captain remains invisible and silent. He hasn’t even done the daily noon update!

He is busy drilling screws into the hull to stop the leaks! :classic_biggrin:

On 3 November 2018 at 11:21 AM, kernow said:

Julie

You jest! Done well!!!!?? Exchanged Boston & NYC for Zeebrugge & Le Havre!!??? Plus a paltry 100$ pp or less OBC!!!???? I will exchange Jewel for Navigator & chuck in a RCCL pen as well if you like as further compo!

😡

1 hour ago, firstcarib said:

You jest! Done well!!!!?? Exchanged Boston & NYC for Zeebrugge & Le Havre!!??? Plus a paltry 100$ pp or less OBC!!!???? I will exchange Jewel for Navigator & chuck in a RCCL pen as well if you like as further compo!

😡

Yes, you've done better than we have. 

You presumably booked for Boston and NY, we booked for Lisbon and the Azores (now changed to Gran Canaria and Tenerife, places we've been to many times). Neither of us are going to ports of our choice, you got some compensation, we got nothing so you did better:classic_smile:

Julie

39 minutes ago, SailBreakaway said:

Did they cancel the TransAtlantic crossing leaving today????? 

I heard it it was due to weather? Any word on the repair or what the damage was? 

Just changed the itinerary.

57 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There may be more info coming after her stop in LeHavre (where further repairs are supposedly scheduled).

Biker - the TA itinerary has changed again -now Gran Canaria, Coco Cay, Port Canaveral and Miami!

So pulls the rug away from all those who said that the original itinerary was changed to accommodate 2n in Le Havre for "work"!!!  

Edited by little britain

47 minutes ago, little britain said:

the TA itinerary has changed again -now Gran Canaria, Coco Cay, Port Canaveral and Miami!

Thanks for this info. I have been watching this saga unfold with a certain degree of apprehension since I am booked on the 23 November sailing. This certainly puts my mind more at ease.