New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

46 minutes ago, norway olin said:

My Radiance trip in April still lists the following:

"Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. "

I checked my cruise planner and it also states the carry-on bag drop and delivery to stateroom. 

Sad. Checking my cruise planner on a Sat. night. 

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

On 12/14/2018 at 10:42 AM, lovescats5 said:

While on the Oasis last September there was never a line at the rock climbing.  There was only one time there was any line at the flow rider.  So if someone buys a program where they get a specific time to flow ride or rock climb or whatever the activity is on which ever ship they are on there are still how many hours left for all the complainers.  At least now people have something else to complain about besides Star Class and how they are given preference over everyone else.  Last time I was waiting to board an airplane I do not remember hearing people complain about the first class people and how they got to board first and got better treatment than the economy class.  That is just a fact of life if you fly.  There have been no reports yet of people having to wait hours to get on the flow rider.  When we sail an internet program is essential for us because of home schooling and if the Key reduced the cost of purchasing an internet package then I would purchase.  We like the specialty restaurants and if the Key gives us a discount on that price then I would purchase.  They will put a cap on how many Key's to sell and my guess is most people purchasing is couples, not families.  Now you have to factor in how many of those couples are so excited about the flow rider (or whatever) and then figure in how many have never seen the show you want to go see and then figure out if they will take that special seat you want.  I would purchase the Key just I could have a little less worry abuot booking shows, dinners, or whatever else the Key would offer.  But then I am coming from a different point of view than most of you because: 1.  I want that airline first class seat on the cross country trip we have to make every time we sail. It is not fun spending 7 hrs in an airplane in economy class.   2. I am the one who books a Star Class suite and gets the saved seats at the front of the  show room or where ever we want to sit (which is not always at the front).  3.  We are those people who get at the front of the line at the bumper cars and then a couple more times because my granddaughter loves them.  So if you do not want the Key then do not purchase it.  If you want to go to another cruise line then go ahead.  NCL was mentioned but we looked at the Haven and we would still have to pay for specialty restaurants and any drink package we wanted (there are 4 of us).  Don't know if those of you who do not want to pay for the Key are trying to make those of us who have paid or will pay feel guilty but it is our vacation and we will pay for what we feel we want, just like the rest of you who pay for what you want.  And don't bring up the money thing, we save and if that means we go once a year on a great cruise then that is what we do, if it would take 2 years for a first class experience then that is what we have done in the past.  We all have the money to do what we feel is important to us and if that is an inside cabin then that is what you do, if you want better then you save longer.

If you book Star Class suites, why on earth would you purchase the Key? All of those perks are already included with your suite benefits.

• Haha 1

I am new to Royal and I have as yet to aquire a diamond status etc. I tend to buy specials so I can make my money go a bit further. I have been on other cruise lines with just my wife and myself but I am finding it hard to afford a high class suite. I now have children and most of my money goes towards day to day living expenses. It is hard today with day care fees and schooling etc. Even with both of us working. I do like to to go on nice holidays and be spoiled. Who doesn’t. I save up and put a side money every week to pay for something nice. This time it is a repositioning cruise on Ovation. Hawaii to Sydney. 19 nights. This will be the first time with our children.

I have been to Disney world and I got the normal days pass.... big mistake. I did not know there was an express pass and spent 3/4 the day lining up. If I had know there was an express pass I would most likely have bought it from the beginning. This was even before we had our two boys.

I see this as a more affordable alternative to a suite as I would be able to afford a balcony and get the key to make the holiday a bit more special. It would cost way to much for a family of 4 to get the suite.  If it was just the 2 of us the suite would Be more cost effective.

Having kids they have a smaller attention span and the key could make the whole cruise experience so much more special.

I have paid for this program and has come at a cost but if it makes my family even a bit happier, it will be worth it. I had to pay for 3 of us and my youngest will be able to “tag” onto us as he will be only 5 when the cruise comes about. For 19 nights it is a lot of money but I keep thinking about the whole Disney experience.

Just my 2 cents.

So here’s the thing...those who don’t want this have decided those who want this are stupid, have “fallen for marketing,” are “getting ripped off,” or even “ruining the industry,” while those who like the idea now feel like they have to justify why they’ve purchased it.

Can we all just agree that PEOPLE TRAVEL DIFFERENTLY and people have different preferences? Holy crap, the whole thread has devolved into one person giving an opinion and the other telling them it’s wrong.

i won’t try to convince you to go on an excursion, and you don’t have to convince me to stay on the ship. Different strokes!!

The thread really should be about what the program is, how it works in reality (because it’s new and not many people have experienced it yet,) etc. 

Nobody’s asking your opinion of how they spend (or don’t spend) their money.

• Like 15

payitforward- Star Class is only available on Oasis and Quantum class ships.  We are on Liberty in March 2020 in the Family Suite and if that does not offer what the Key could provide then we would purchase it.  We will have to wait and see what is happening then with any new programs.  The Key might also be handy if you were in a Jr. Suite. 

25 minutes ago, 3bzmom said:

i won’t try to convince you to go on an excursion, and you don’t have to convince me to stay on the ship. Different strokes!!

The thread really should be about what the program is, how it works in reality (because it’s new and not many people have experienced it yet,) etc. 

Ow Kay

How about I agree with you on the first and you don't try to tell me what this thread should be about . 😏

And yes I agree it's folly to try to convince strangers that what they want is wrong . My issue is that in this money grab , Royal decrease the cruise experience for the vast majority of its customers , if only a little bit . This is different then in many of the other revenue enhancement schemes dreamed up by management where no one is losing something .

Next up they'll do away with free MDR reservations , but for a nominal sum , you can reserve your choice table at your choice time with you choice waitstaff . I'm sure your preference will be to argue for this innovation as well .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3bzmom said:

So here’s the thing...those who don’t want this have decided those who want this are stupid, have “fallen for marketing,” are “getting ripped off,” or even “ruining the industry,” while those who like the idea now feel like they have to justify why they’ve purchased it.

Can we all just agree that PEOPLE TRAVEL DIFFERENTLY and people have different preferences? Holy crap, the whole thread has devolved into one person giving an opinion and the other telling them it’s wrong.

People posting on these  rarely ask for advice on how to parent their children but plenty of poster will freely offer it anyway. It is the way things work around here.😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 3bzmom said:

There is never a shortage of people willing to tell you how to spend - or not spend - your money. 😉

However,  it's perfectly fine with me when someone will at least back up their opinion with the reasons why they are for or against something.  It is about giving advice and often times someone will give me a point that I hadn't thought about before . 

It's all about priorities and what's important to you. Happy sailing. 

14 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

There is never a shortage of people willing to tell you how to spend - or not spend - your money. 😉

However,  it's perfectly fine with me when someone will at least back up their opinion with the reasons why they are for or against something.  It is about giving advice and often times someone will give me a point that I hadn't thought about before . 

It's all about priorities and what's important to you. Happy sailing. 

Totally agree. It’s the bashing I don’t appreciate. Things get nasty when they don’t need to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Seriously?

Definitely.  Sometimes the "good" seats are taken if you waltz in 15 minutes prior to the show.  Depends on what you are looking for in your entertainment choices.  For those with no priority access via The Key, the problem could be solved. 😎

Just like some folks want to sit under the stacks on 14 and drink coffee. 😉

13 hours ago, Mushroomgav69 said:

I have been to Disney world and I got the normal days pass.... big mistake. I did not know there was an express pass and spent 3/4 the day lining up. If I had know there was an express pass I would most likely have bought it from the beginning. This was even before we had our two boys.

The Walt Disney World "normal days pass" includes Fastpass on the ticket without additional cost. There is no "express pass" at Walt Disney World*. Research and discussion of vacation destinations can be very helpful for planning and understanding the product you are encountering. For example, this thread is useful for determining whether or not The Key is a good purchase for individuals. Other threads, elsewhere on the internet, will explain the ins and outs of Disney's Fastpass system (which is complicated!)

* There are other VIP options, but not something that would be classified as an "express pass"

• Like 1

So I just bought this new offering for my Feb 8 cruise on Indy. My bestie and I are going and this really hits a lot of marks for us. First, we like to get off first so we self disembark which means we only bring carry on. Yes, my meds and stuff will stay with me but my spinner bag filled with clothes and shoes now doesn't have to be lugged around with me! We both love this perk. We also always do Chops first day as it's nice to get away from the crowds at Windjammer and the elegant experience and food at Chops kind of sets the tone for our cruise. So we would have purchased that anyway. We both have to deal with some work stuff on board and also we love to share each day of vacay on social media for our family and friends, so we would have bought the Voom anyway each. We rented a daybed at Labadee and I was planning on trying to get their first thing so that I could pick out the one I want so the early disembark at ports is great. We love shows and have gotten some not so great seating so this way we know we have great seats. We didn't get to the climbing wall last cruise at all and this perk will make us take advantage I believe.  We would prefer a calmer breakfast on our last day and this may help with that.

I will say neither of us hold back on vacay spending lol and often will fly first class or do a more luxury land hotel so this wasn't a crazy purchase for us. I am in love with hump balcony cabins so we aren't in a suite with those perks and also I'm platinum so I don't get a lot of those perks from the loyalty program. For us, this was a no brainer!

• Like 2

We purchased this for our Dec 30 cruise on the Oasis. It does not mention priority embarkation and when I asked Royal they confirmed that. But now I am seeing from others that it is included.  Also I inquired about a children’s menu in Chop’s since we had to buy the program for everyone and I was disappointed to learn there is not one.   The cruise planner did update to say no reservations for the shows are needed. 

2 hours ago, Orsino said:

The Walt Disney World "normal days pass" includes Fastpass on the ticket without additional cost. There is no "express pass" at Walt Disney World*. Research and discussion of vacation destinations can be very helpful for planning and understanding the product you are encountering. For example, this thread is useful for determining whether or not The Key is a good purchase for individuals. Other threads, elsewhere on the internet, will explain the ins and outs of Disney's Fastpass system (which is complicated!)

* There are other VIP options, but not something that would be classified as an "express pass"

I appreciate you helpful response regarding what I posted. 

I think you have failed to see I was giving an example of my experience where my ticket did not give me the added bonus of jumping the line in Disney like I as well as many hundred other people standing in line for up to an hour waiting to get on a ride.

Other people with a better ticket where able to go to the front of the line whatever the ticket was called. VIP, fast pass or whatever the ticket or way to get on a ride faster was called.

Same as suite customers are able to get better service.

i am sorry if you did not see the corallation between the two.

9 hours ago, richstowe said:

. My issue is that in this money grab , Royal decrease the cruise experience for the vast majority of its customers , if only a little bit . This is different then in many of the other revenue enhancement schemes dreamed up by management where no one is losing something .

I agree.. but it's far from the first. Even where they focus on refurbishing the ship, but it's really about increasing cabins by ~15% such as on Voyager class where they just focussed on adding Waverider in their PR, quite a few changes 'decrease the cruise experience for the majority of its customers.'

So while I agree with you, they don't care. You just need to assess whether the degraded experience is worth the increased cost (as happens each year) at that time. It's pretty much a given that any change they make is calculated to increase revenue for them, and hence likely to degrade the experience for some group of other passengers.

5 hours ago, luckyprincess said:

We rented a daybed at Labadee and I was planning on trying to get their first thing so that I could pick out the one I want so the early disembark at ports is great. 

Slightly off topic, but I wanted to poke my nose in to say that for truly first pick of the beach beds, you can go to the excursion desk on board  the first day and ask to choose your bed there. They have a map/diagram there and you just let them know which you want. The Key sounds like a great fit for you guys for other reasons, but I was very happy to hear this tip myself since it worked out perfectly for me and I wanted to pass it on. 

• Thanks 1