New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

On Oasis, the Key seating  in the theater, aqua theater and ice rink was the row directly  behind the suite/Pinnacle seating.  Not really much difference, but if  better means  in from of Key, then Yes. 

M

Did you see any other indication of "Key" status?  Special lapel pins?  Different color SeaPass card?

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Did you see any other indication of "Key" status?  Special lapel pins?  Different color SeaPass card?

Found it. This is what shows up on my Cruise Planner:

"* When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom."

9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Found it. This is what shows up on my Cruise Planner:

"* When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom."

Interesting, I wonder if the WOW bands will also have some Key indicator.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Interesting, I wonder if the WOW bands will also have some Key indicator.

On Symphony when they scan your SeaPass at the theater entrance they can see all your info on their mobile device. I haven't noticed if this has been rolled out to other ships yet.

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Bob -

Didn’t notice. I did meet a couple who had the key plan  but didn’t see their Sea passes.  Key rows were practically empty 15 minutes prior to all the shows. When we showed our d+ card for reserved seating we were offered the key seating or suite/pinnacle seating. 

Marci 

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Bob -

Didn’t notice. I did meet a couple who had the key plan  but didn’t see their Sea passes.  Key rows were practically empty 15 minutes prior to all the shows. When we showed our d+ card for reserved seating we were offered the key seating or suite/pinnacle seating. 

Marci 

Thanks Marci.

This is right up my alley and I have done the program on Carnival.   If it were just 2 of us, I would consider it for our March Symphony cruise.   But with 4 and making you purchase for children also, it's just too much.   $700 is pretty steep, even with the internet (which I purchased for $175 for 4 devices so it still would be an additional $575).   I never have a problem with spending more for programs like these because I think they add value.   But, IMO, the price needs to be lowered or change the rules to per cabin like Carnival.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pratique said:

I just got an invitation to purchase The Key for $24.99 per person per day on my Symphony sailing next month. Except we're in Sky Class and already get most of the benefits. Pretty hard to justify paying for something that's already included. Actually I think that The Key benefits should be rolled into Sky Class at no extra charge or at least differentiated from the program for non-suites.

We haven’t done a fancy room

yet- but I agree... I think the most expensive rooms should get all of the Key benefits...

On 12/19/2018 at 5:15 PM, Keksie said:

Made our final payment today and I  signed up for the Key. I will see if we enjoy it in March.

FYI, I am not sure if its true for your ship, but The Key was 20% off today in Cruise Planner. I had already purchased it, canceled it at the old price ($24.99) and repurchased today. Saved over $100! 

43 minutes ago, morganmpink said:

FYI, I am not sure if its true for your ship, but The Key was 20% off today in Cruise Planner. I had already purchased it, canceled it at the old price ($24.99) and repurchased today. Saved over $100! 

Glad I saw this. I just canceled and re booked mine also. For two of us it was 84 bucks cheaper. (From 29.99 down to 23.99) I dig it. 

Thanks. 

Edited by rydinlow4sho

So--if you are Diamond and, therefore, can use the Diamond Lounge (presently), get a premium drink package and purchase the key, why not just do this instead of booking a suite?  Any estimation of what one would save in money?  Forget the double points since I will never try for Diamond+.  I love the coffee machine in the SL though.

And if the Diamonds are thrown out of the lounge, how will we use the coffee machine for lattes?

So what is true about the key and as far as shows go on the ship on reserving days and times for the shows.................But what it reads on the info about the key is clearly states that no reservations are needed. So is that true or not?

This is what it says on the write up about about the new program?

"Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. "

So is it true? Sounds like you just show up and walk in?

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

So what is true about the key and as far as shows go on the ship on reserving days and times for the shows.................But what it reads on the info about the key is clearly states that no reservations are needed. So is that true or not?

This is what it says on the write up about about the new program?

"Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. "

So is it true? Sounds like you just show up and walk in?

During my review, which was the 1st ever run on Oasis, at that time Key guests did require reservations.  Since that time they have tweaked the benefits, adding priority boarding for example and adding that reservations are NOT required,  among other changes.  At the moment, as of today, it appears reservations are NOT required.

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

So--if you are Diamond and, therefore, can use the Diamond Lounge (presently), get a premium drink package and purchase the key, why not just do this instead of booking a suite?  Any estimation of what one would save in money?  Forget the double points since I will never try for Diamond+.  I love the coffee machine in the SL though.

As a D+ who has sailed with Sky Class benefits on multiple occasions from shortly after it was introduced, I can offer that The Key is a solid strategy to take a normal non-suite cabin and crank it up a few notches absent of the huge price jump into Sky Class.  You don't get everything Sky Class gets such as Coastal Kitchen, Suite Lounge, Suite Sun Deck, free room service, larger and nicer room, free pressing service, helipad sail-away party, suite concierge services, etc. but it's much less expensive than Sky Class.  

Some people experience a suite and don't ever go back.  I went from a loft suite on Allure to an interior on Grandeur on my next cruise a few months later.  I don't need a suite to make my cruise.  When I do them I thoroughly enjoy them but depending on who I am cruising with I don't have to have a suite.  The Key is a nice way for folks who don't have to a have a suite to level up and get some suite-like perks. 

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

...And if the Diamonds are thrown out of the lounge, how will we use the coffee machine for lattes?

Diamonds have never had access to a suite lounge, there is a separate diamond lounge that typically has some sort of 'fancy' coffee machine.  Diamond coffee has had no impact from The Key.  

On 11/5/2018 at 3:32 PM, crusinthrough said:

Negative for me as well but I usually book a suite.  

On the Carnival board many people said they would not buy the faster to fun pass but it sells out every cruise.  After it sells out I’ve read of people stalking the website just to see if it becomes available again.  

I’m pretty sure this will be the same. 

Carnival only charges $49 one time for FTTF . Maybe RCI could rethink the price per day.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:25 PM, Pratique said:

I just got an invitation to purchase The Key for $24.99 per person per day on my Symphony sailing next month. Except we're in Sky Class and already get most of the benefits. Pretty hard to justify paying for something that's already included. Actually I think that The Key benefits should be rolled into Sky Class at no extra charge or at least differentiated from the program for non-suites.

I think you are only missing Chops, for embarkation lunch. Just head up to the CK and it is covered by Sky Class perks.

Edited by A&L_Ont

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Diamonds have never had access to a suite lounge, there is a separate diamond lounge that typically has some sort of 'fancy' coffee machine.  Diamond coffee has had no impact from The Key.  

Yes, that is true, but the coffee machine is also in the DL.  I've had to use it when the one in the SL was out of order.  Next time I may check to see the price differences.  I don't use room service so that wouldn't really affect me.  But I do like the perk of assisted debarkation.  If CK was on every ship, that would definitely be a factor.

10 hours ago, Trinam2 said:

Carnival only charges $49 one time for FTTF . Maybe RCI could rethink the price per day.

I agree RCI should rethink their price.  But most things on RCI are more expensive than Carnival.   Though, last time we did FTTF, we paid $99 for the cabin (we usually get 2 cabins so it was $198 for us).   And FTTF does not include internet, the specialty lunch, private hours at attractions, or show seating.  And if you add in Carnival's Premium Wi-Fi, the prices are not that much different.

BTW, I think both programs are a good idea.

Now that it's dropped to $19.99, I took the bait for our Allure May 19th sailing. My adult daughter and I were already booked for a lunch at Chops and for the Voom Surf and Stream 2 device package, both of which I'd snagged at great prices over the Black Friday weekend, so this will still cost a bit more, but we felt the additional perks were worth it.  At $24.99, it was just too much additional money.  She was planning on doing the Flow Rider and Rock Wall, so having to fight less of a crowd for those and the reserved seating at shows sealed the deal. 

We're sailing on Anthem in April, and The Key is being sold.  Since it's just the two of us, we may consider it, since it's on sale at $19.99/person/day.  We thought about it and decided to just get the Voom Surf and Stream for two devices instead.  We used our $100 OBC, so paid less than $40 for it.

If we knew exactly what was going to be offered as far as extras (e.g., "private hours") on Anthem, we might have considered it.  I guess if the price comes down considerably before April, we can cancel the Voom package and purchase The Key instead.