New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

6 hours ago, luckyprincess said:

So I just bought this new offering for my Feb 8 cruise on Indy. My bestie and I are going and this really hits a lot of marks for us. First, we like to get off first so we self disembark which means we only bring carry on. Yes, my meds and stuff will stay with me but my spinner bag filled with clothes and shoes now doesn't have to be lugged around with me! We both love this perk. We also always do Chops first day as it's nice to get away from the crowds at Windjammer and the elegant experience and food at Chops kind of sets the tone for our cruise. So we would have purchased that anyway. We both have to deal with some work stuff on board and also we love to share each day of vacay on social media for our family and friends, so we would have bought the Voom anyway each. We rented a daybed at Labadee and I was planning on trying to get their first thing so that I could pick out the one I want so the early disembark at ports is great. We love shows and have gotten some not so great seating so this way we know we have great seats. We didn't get to the climbing wall last cruise at all and this perk will make us take advantage I believe.  We would prefer a calmer breakfast on our last day and this may help with that.

I will say neither of us hold back on vacay spending lol and often will fly first class or do a more luxury land hotel so this wasn't a crazy purchase for us. I am in love with hump balcony cabins so we aren't in a suite with those perks and also I'm platinum so I don't get a lot of those perks from the loyalty program. For us, this was a no brainer!

I'm not sure how the seating is going to go. It is already shared between suites, Pinnacle and D* and now there will be more trying to get into the same seats so not everyone is going to get in. I would think suites will get first priority for the seats and also the tenders.

8 hours ago, Orsino said:

The Walt Disney World "normal days pass" includes Fastpass on the ticket without additional cost. There is no "express pass" at Walt Disney World*. Research and discussion of vacation destinations can be very helpful for planning and understanding the product you are encountering. For example, this thread is useful for determining whether or not The Key is a good purchase for individuals. Other threads, elsewhere on the internet, will explain the ins and outs of Disney's Fastpass system (which is complicated!)

* There are other VIP options, but not something that would be classified as an "express pass"

5 hours ago, Mushroomgav69 said:

I appreciate you helpful response regarding what I posted. 

I think you have failed to see I was giving an example of my experience where my ticket did not give me the added bonus of jumping the line in Disney like I as well as many hundred other people standing in line for up to an hour waiting to get on a ride.

Other people with a better ticket where able to go to the front of the line whatever the ticket was called. VIP, fast pass or whatever the ticket or way to get on a ride faster was called.

Same as suite customers are able to get better service.

i am sorry if you did not see the corallation between the two.

What is Orsino is telling you is that there is no special pass you buy for fastpass.  It is included with every ticket and you can book it online 30-60 days before you plan on going to the park.  No one BUYS this perk as fastpass is INCLUDED with every ticket.  

Similar along the lines of a paid fare on Oasis class ship.  You can book your shows up to 90 days in advance.  Instead you do not do this and spend time waiting in the standby line to get into the show.  While everyone else that has made a reservation walks in and takes a seat while you have wait in line.  

When you buy a Disneyworld ticket you are also allowed to book your rides(shows on royal) in advance.  If you fail to do this, you use the standby lines with the thousands of other people.  

If you dont plan and make reservations but dont want to wait in line, you pay for a VIP tour at Disney (or buy The Key on royal).  Concepts seem pretty similar.

3 hours ago, frank808 said:

What is Orsino is telling you is that there is no special pass you buy for fastpass.  It is included with every ticket and you can book it online 30-60 days before you plan on going to the park.  No one BUYS this perk as fastpass is INCLUDED with every ticket.  

Similar along the lines of a paid fare on Oasis class ship.  You can book your shows up to 90 days in advance.  Instead you do not do this and spend time waiting in the standby line to get into the show.  While everyone else that has made a reservation walks in and takes a seat while you have wait in line.  

When you buy a Disneyworld ticket you are also allowed to book your rides(shows on royal) in advance.  If you fail to do this, you use the standby lines with the thousands of other people.  

If you dont plan and make reservations but dont want to wait in line, you pay for a VIP tour at Disney (or buy The Key on royal).  Concepts seem pretty similar.

I get what you are saying Frank. But did you and Orsino get what I was saying. 

I don’t give two hoots about Disney. I was giving an example.

I was giving a comparison about standing in line and not wanting to.

If I want to pay extra on a ship for a “key program” or pay for a express pass or “VIP” as it has been pointed out at Disney to cut out the wait time I say Bring it on.

it was just an example. I did not not Need a sermon on the correct wording or imply I go to another web page to understand the Disney package. It was an example of paying extra so I don’t have to wait in line sooooo long.

Edited by Mushroomgav69

Our next cruise is in March so this week I am going to see if it is offered for our cruise.  If so I will go over what is included to see if it fits for us.  We don't do the flowrider, rock wall etc.  (bad knees).  However, an easier first and last day, seats without having to go super early, voom etc. may be very tempting.  I do love Universal's express pass and do not like the way Disney does the fast pass because of the way it is structured. 

On 11/5/2018 at 3:44 PM, starrcards said:

Whoa Nellie.  It's internet for one device only.  So if you have 2, 3 or 4 in your cabin, their uncovered expense balloons to $135-$165 each additional guest.  IMO I don't see enough to cover that kind of cost.

I am pretty sure everyone in the cabin get one device streaming internet service. So if you have 4 people in cabin, you have 4 devices you can connect. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShazM said:

I'm not sure how the seating is going to go. It is already shared between suites, Pinnacle and D* and now there will be more trying to get into the same seats so not everyone is going to get in. I would think suites will get first priority for the seats and also the tenders.

Do Diamond Plus get int to the shows without reservations into those saved seats section?

I could see my wife and I getting this but doubt we will this time because we are going with a group of about 30 people. On our cruise it is showing $29.99 per person per day. 

But if it was just us two going on the cruise, we would already get the deluxe beverage package plus one stream package. We paid $999.50 total for that on our cruise this April on HOTS. It would only be $279.40 extra for me to cancel that and get this with the normal booze package. I think an upgrade to a suite would cost me a whole lot more that that. 

We did the faster to the fun on Carnival Sunshine summer before last. IIRC, that was only like $70 or something like that for the whole cabin for the entire cruse. That was well worth in IMO and if RC offered something like that, I would jump on if fast. On that cruise the fact we had a dedicated customer service line made it 100% worth it. 

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Do Diamond Plus get int to the shows without reservations into those saved seats section?

Just off Oasis.  As a D+ we needed reservations for all shows.   There was reserved  Key seating as well as Suite/Pinnacle  seating.  Key seating was the row(s) behind suite/Pinnacle seating.  We were permitted to sit in either section.   We used the reserved  seating in the Aqua theater, main thereafter ( once) and the ice rink.  In all cases the Key and suite/Pinnacle  rows were nearly empty and were open to the public 10 minutes prior to all shows.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I saw this new activity thing in the cruise planner that I have never seen before. Looks interesting but only lists Chopps for the Embarkation Lunch. 

I am traveling with a vegetarian so obviously Chopps is not an option for us. Before I disregard this new thing completely, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with having this changed to another venue for people that can’t eat meat or seafood?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Just off Oasis.  As a D+ we needed reservations for all shows.   There was reserved  Key seating as well as Suite/Pinnacle  seating.  Key seating was the row(s) behind suite/Pinnacle seating.  We were permitted to sit in either section.   We used the reserved  seating in the Aqua theater, main thereafter ( once) and the ice rink.  In all cases the Key and suite/Pinnacle  rows were nearly empty and were open to the public 10 minutes prior to all shows.

M

Thanks !  This is very helpful information.  So it seems that the Key reserved seating is NOT the same seating area as the old traditional Suite/Pinnacle reserved seating....the seating areas are separate.  Very good info.  Thanks for sharing cruisegirl1

Edited by RFerrington

8 hours ago, Mushroomgav69 said:

I get what you are saying Frank. But did you and Orsino get what I was saying. 

I don’t give two hoots about Disney. I was giving an example.

I was giving a comparison about standing in line and not wanting to.

If I want to pay extra on a ship for a “key program” or pay for a express pass or “VIP” as it has been pointed out at Disney to cut out the wait time I say Bring it on.

it was just an example. I did not not Need a sermon on the correct wording or imply I go to another web page to understand the Disney package. It was an example of paying extra so I don’t have to wait in line sooooo long.

And my analogy was that with advance planning you wouldn't need to buy the vip tour or the key to avoid standing in line.

If buying the key makes your experience that much better, have fun!  Just didn't want everyone thinking that you had to purchase the key to not stand in line for a show.

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

Thanks !  This is very helpful information.  So it seems that the Key reserved seating is NOT the same seating area as the old traditional Suite/Pinnacle reserved seating....the seating areas are separate.  Very good info.  Thanks for sharing cruisegirl1

It wasn't on the Oasis last week, but that can change any time or for any  other ship!

And - for those  considering the program, keep in mind that the reserved seating area  might not be where you want to sit.   Example -  it is in the back of the  main theater and mid way at the Aqua theater on Oasis.  On other ships,  reserved theater seating is  in the balcony area.

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

The Key is being offered on my March sailing on Serenade. Since there is only one theater and no flow rider on that ship does anyone know if RC offers other perks to Key program on specific ships? I'm just trying to figure out why they are even offering it on that sized ship. Anyone use the key on this ship?

24 minutes ago, JillandTerrille said:

The Key is being offered on my March sailing on Serenade. Since there is only one theater and no flow rider on that ship does anyone know if RC offers other perks to Key program on specific ships? I'm just trying to figure out why they are even offering it on that sized ship. Anyone use the key on this ship?

I think it makes some  people feel special.  There will likely be reserved  theater seating on your ship , so perhaps that is important to you. And it does include internet.    We met a couple last week that had it an enjoyed it and LOVED the reserved seating area and "free" internet.

M

I just bought this for our group of 7, after some internal debate. I cancelled our 4+3 devices surf&stream instead. This way everyone gets their own internet connection codes, no hassle making sure people only connect one device at a time for the 3+4 devices. And embarkation lunch will save us from the Windjammer hassle first day. But what decided it for me, is that my cruise (April 14th 2019) shows 'no reservations needed' beforehand or onboard for shows. So we don't have to decide on shows beforehand and make reservations, we can just go where we feel like it at the time - that is what vacation is for 🙂 Less scheduling - there's enough to keep track of with massages and excursions, so paying for having less to schedule and keep track of is worth it for me, especially since I'm the "coordinator" for our two families (three cabins, everyone wants massages, ship tours, specialty dining etc), I'm already having enough to keep track of with the different Cruise Planners and bookings.

Edited by October17
  • Like 2

I finally decided to purchase The Key this morning offered at $24.99/day on my Freedom of the Seas cruise in 2019 from San Juan. 

Yes, recent reviews of the ship on this forum and in the general review section of CC on the ship have persuaded me that The Key would make my cruise more enjoyable. I’m going solo, so a small investment for me as I always buy the internet package anyway.

9 minutes ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

I finally decided to purchase The Key this morning offered at $24.99/day on my Freedom of the Seas cruise in 2019 from San Juan.

Keep looking - as with just about everything in the planner they may have discounts before sailing ($20 has been reported).

I just got an invitation to purchase The Key for $24.99 per person per day on my Symphony sailing next month. Except we're in Sky Class and already get most of the benefits. Pretty hard to justify paying for something that's already included. Actually I think that The Key benefits should be rolled into Sky Class at no extra charge or at least differentiated from the program for non-suites.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I just got an invitation to purchase The Key for $24.99 per person per day on my Symphony sailing next month. Except we're in Sky Class and already get most of the benefits. Pretty hard to justify paying for something that's already included. Actually I think that The Key benefits should be rolled into Sky Class at no extra charge or at least differentiated from the program for non-suites.

I believe Sky Class gets better seats in the theater than the Key people.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I like that - "Key people." How will I know who they are if they don't have pins to wear? lol They might make the Pinnacles look like saints.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I like that - "Key people." How will I know who they are if they don't have pins to wear? lol They might make the Pinnacles look like saints.

I'll bet their Seapass cards will have some sort of "Key" distinction, maybe a completely different color.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

On Oasis, the Key seating  in the theater, aqua theater and ice rink was the row directly  behind the suite/Pinnacle seating.  Not really much difference, but if  better means  in from of Key, then Yes. 

M